U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,340,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
what a shame. Something has to be done with Easton Hill.

Bob Beach, when all is said and done, should have something named after all. He has done for Morgantown in the past few years then what EVERYONE ELSE did the past 100 years.
Bob Beach is, far and away, the best of the best. Personally, I hope he makes a run for Governor... he is that good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,108,355 times
http://thedpost.com/MPO,-DOH-weigh-in-on-traffic-cir

Old 09-08-2014, 06:15 AM

354 posts, read 443,274 times
That roundabout has been an absolute disaster. It's terribly designed and does nothing. Here's a hint: adding more roundabouts won't help!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 AM

51 posts, read 48,624 times
Default Roundabout is a success in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
That roundabout has been an absolute disaster. It's terribly designed and does nothing. Here's a hint: adding more roundabouts won't help!
I disagree. Traffic heading into town in the morning between the traffic light by the airport and the roundabout moves much better than it ever did when there was a stop light there. I was skeptical when they put a roundabout there, but it has been a resounding success from my perspective. I can actually take the mileground in the morning and not sit in traffic for 45 minutes- the only traffic problems are on Pierpont Road trying to turn left to go up Easton Hill, and then actually going up Easton Hill. Those backups are both caused by the traffic lights. Once you get through the stoplights traffic flows very nicely through the roundabout.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I disagree. The only reason there have been logjams at the roundabout is overload on Mileground. Once they expand Mileground and traffic starts moving, it will move through the roundabout too. There is nowhere for the traffic to go in the roundabout when it backs up from Mileground, then Willey Street traffic can't get out there either. If the public knows how to use a roundabout, they are great ways to move traffic. I have seen them work well in the NYC region with very large amounts of traffic.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM

354 posts, read 443,274 times
I disagree. I've sat still IN the roundabout on many occasions which has nothing to do with knowing how to maneuver one. Yes it moves OK in 1 direction which wasn't even terrible pre-roundabout. Every other way is backed up.

If the only way for the roundabout to make sense is to expand the mileground then it seems they put the cart way before the horse.

Maybe constructing that roundabout was the only way the BOE could site a school in such a horrible location.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 PM

334 posts, read 439,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Bob Beach is, far and away, the best of the best. Personally, I hope he makes a run for Governor... he is that good.
I'd advocate that. Who else would replace ERT in 2016? Tennant?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM

578 posts, read 548,231 times
Quote:
Key part from that article

"Austin explained that the congestion at the roundabout is going to be an issue until the entire project is completed. He cited the traffic light at the intersection of Mileground Road and Hartman Run Road as the main cause of that congestion."

The roundabout has helped a great deal but we still need to get the Hartman Rd intersection fixed and the mileground widened. Otherwise, the roundabout has worked fine. I've seen a substantial drop in traffic. Before, some days it would take 20-30 minutes to get from the Stewartstown Rd intersection on 705 to the mileground at rush hour

Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I've sat still IN the roundabout on many occasions which has nothing to do with knowing how to maneuver one. Yes it moves OK in 1 direction which wasn't even terrible pre-roundabout. Every other way is backed up.

If the only way for the roundabout to make sense is to expand the mileground then it seems they put the cart way before the horse.

Maybe constructing that roundabout was the only way the BOE could site a school in such a horrible location.
There is no question that a key part of the development must be widening Mileground down to Point Marion Road. Until that is completed, there will always be logjams at the roundabout but it isn't the fault of the roundabout. The problem is the roundabout is the only part of the project that is finished and the road connecting to it is grossly inadequate. Widen that road and improve intersections at Hartman Run and Point Marion Roads, and traffic will sail through the roundabout most of the time once folks learn how to use the roundabout properly. They will still need to station troopers there after home football games though because out of towners will often not know how to use a roundabout properly and will need to be guided through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown