U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,583 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Morgantown area soon for work and am having trouble finding any decent looking apartments that aren't designed for students. Judging from the amounts I'm seeing online, price doesn't seem like it will be a limiting factor. What places should I be looking at?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,266,559 times
This is, far and away, our state's primary University City. There are nearly 30,000 students here, and 25,000 of them come from outside this area. It is only natural that the vast majority of apartments will be designed with them in mind. At the same time, there are tens of thousands of professionals here working in the fields of healthcare, education, research, pharmaceuticals, and government and there are apartments available for them too. What type of work are you going to be doing, and where do you plan to work? Also, what price range do you have in mind?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 AM

And I'm hoping you can point me to some of them! I will be working near Waynesburg. I would like to stay under 1.5k.

EDIT: to clarify, my ideal choice would be a modern apartment complex- location only matters insofar as it affects my commute.

Last edited by situationlol; 08-22-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,266,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by situationlol View Post
And I'm hoping you can point me to some of them! I will be working near Waynesburg. I would like to stay under 1.5k.
You should be fine in that price range for a number of nice choices. Check out these complexes...

Morgantown Apartments For Rent: The Villas at Bon Vista

Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,881 times
You'll most likely want to stay close to the interstate, on the I-79 side (though being near I-68 out in Cheat Lake isn't bad, just a bit longer drive. Don't stay downtown. You can find areas where the students aren't loud and there a a few nice, modern apartments down there, but traffic is a nightmare. Stay away from West Run Road, too, as that's where a lot of student apartments are. There's a few higher-end apartments, too, but again traffic. Plus, the road gets torn up something awful after the combination of construction activities out there and harsh winters.

Actually, now that I think about it, traffic shouldn't be too awful for you as you're going out of town for work and coming back after, against the grain of traffic. Still, lean towards being away from campus.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM

334 posts, read 436,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by situationlol View Post

EDIT: to clarify, my ideal choice would be a modern apartment complex- location only matters insofar as it affects my commute.
The Domain at the Town Centre would be perfect for you but its a student housing complex. It doesn't hurt to try to contact them anyway.

The Domain at Town Centre Student Housing in Morgantown, WV

Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
The Domain at the Town Centre would be perfect for you but its a student housing complex. It doesn't hurt to try to contact them anyway.

The Domain at Town Centre Student Housing in Morgantown, WV
Yea, I sent them an email yesterday; will follow up today. It's strange that none of these 'student housing' places explicitly answer that question on their websites.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:47 AM

567 posts, read 533,412 times
I don't think you'd be happy with any of the places mentioned. Here's a site that has quite a bit

Morgantown Apartments

Not sure how many bedrooms you need, amenities, etc. But some I'd check out would be Graycliff Townhomes, Rystan Place Townhomes, Lewis Landing, Mountain Valley Apartments, Winwood, or Fountainview Condos

Edit: Just got done apartment/townhouse shopping in the area so I'm pretty well versed at the moment

Last edited by 304eer; 08-22-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,881 times
I can speak for Mountain Valley and say that there's a mix of students and professionals there, and it has an air of seclusion while still being relatively close to everything. Not a bad place at all.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up snagging a place at Mountain Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown