U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:25 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,326,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
Some take the Greenbag road, but most seem to prefer going downtown
It's a lot further on Greenbag, and that road is not set up for truck use now. When they add a third lane that will be the route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM

75 posts, read 79,206 times
I counted 7...SEVEN...dump trucks on Walnut Street the other day. From the Spruce Street light to the Beechurst light.

The jake brakes shook the whole building I was in. One after another. Just having moved back to the area, I'm not surprised to learn the city tried to ban these trucks from going downtown after witnessing this.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:27 AM

354 posts, read 442,797 times
It's ridiculous and getting worse. Like living on a work site. Purchase the roads and ban the trucks!

Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM

75 posts, read 101,872 times
I've lived in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Missouri, Arizona and California. I have seen truck restricted roads, streets, highways and even interstates throughout those states. Why is it that it's different here?

Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine5811MP View Post
I've lived in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Missouri, Arizona and California. I have seen truck restricted roads, streets, highways and even interstates throughout those states. Why is it that it's different here?
It's different here because state government won't agree to maintain alternate routes for the trucks. Those truckers have the same constitutional right to free movement the rest of us have. They must be provided with a suitable alternative if that route is denied them. Greenbag Road, in its present condition, is not a suitable alternative. As is commonplace, our state government has left us in a lurch. They are clearly failing to meet the demonstrated needs of our population. Somebody is responsible for providing that alternative route, and highways are not the responsibility of local government in our state.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM

75 posts, read 101,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's different here because state government won't agree to maintain alternate routes for the trucks. Those truckers have the same constitutional right to free movement the rest of us have. They must be provided with a suitable alternative if that route is denied them. Greenbag Road, in its present condition, is not a suitable alternative. As is commonplace, our state government has left us in a lurch. They are clearly failing to meet the demonstrated needs of our population. Somebody is responsible for providing that alternative route, and highways are not the responsibility of local government in our state.
I'm not sure how that's a constitutional right but I understand where you're coming from. WV's roads are a disgrace compared to my experience in other states. Heck I drove on better roads in Iraq at times.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 PM

469 posts, read 475,340 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how that's a constitutional right but I understand where you're coming from. WV's roads are a disgrace compared to my experience in other states. Heck I drove on better roads in Iraq at times.
It's honestly the only thing I'm not looking forward to about moving to Morgantown. I saw better roads in the border towns in Mexico (literally). So many potholes, big ones...HUGE ones. And no paint whatsoever to show where the lane dividers, turn lanes, merge lanes, etc start and end in a lot of places. A shame really because it really is a neat little city with a lot to offer, and a great university. Hopefully the folks in charge will step it up.

P.S. Thank you for your service.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that's true. I've been on roads in 20 different countries, and none of them had roads as bad as ours. With each passing year we move closer to third world status, and most folks aren't even aware of what's happening to them. The Constitution guarantees citizens free movement anywhere in American territory without being impeded in doing so. Truckers don't lose that right, or the right to be free from restrictions on free commerce, just because we don't like their trucks. Court decisions have generally provided that if a suitable alternative route is provided... one that is substantially the equivalent of the one they can't use, then the restriction is permitted.

The road in question is a state highway. The only way taking those truckers right to pass unimpeded along that road away from them would be for the state to provide a suitable alternative state highway. The state won't even fix our potholes, let alone make the appropriate adjustments. We can't discuss the reasons for that here, so we'll just leave it at that. The state needs to step to the plate for it to get done.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM

124 posts, read 134,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Very true about Greenbag. There are holes in the pavement along the edges more than a foot deep. Down by the S turns, it looks like a B-52 bombed the road.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,785,912 times
Apparently the WV supreme court will be here March 1st and will be hearing the case about the Morgantown Truck ban, it will be at the law school.

West Virginia Supreme Court to Take Up Morgantown Truck Ban | Transport Topics Online | Trucking, Freight Transportation and Logistics News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: