Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

New housing units with more than 1,300 beds for University students on the Evansdale Campus are going up now. They will replace the Med Center Apartments and Fieldcrest Hall, which will be torn down for the now Alumni Hotel complex, and leased facilities at Pierpont Apartments.

TheDPost.com - University Park buildings going up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 AM

334 posts, read 495,932 times
Compared to UPlace they have done super quick work on UPark. I can't wait to see all that get done by next summer.

I wish it could replace Towers as well. They don't need a soon to be renovation they need a freaking wrecking ball.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 PM

18 posts, read 25,247 times
They plan on rennovation to towers in phases once it's complete

Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 PM

The Towers is a huge project. I believe a renovation along with the addition of some amenities will fit the bill nicely there. It's the Spartan beginning fit for a freshman, before moving on to better digs later... earn your way to more luxurious accommodations by running the gauntlet and passing those entry level courses. Otherwise, head to community college and give it another try.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:46 AM

334 posts, read 495,932 times
Today's kids don't see it that way. They come from affluent suburbs in the NYC/NJ/PA/NoVa/MD areas.

To come from $300k homes to military style like barracks in your first year of college is a bad look. They WANT the best so they will only go to the best.

I know Towers won't be torn down. I don't know if renovation will help too much. But buildings like UPark and most recently Honors and Lincoln always helps to enhance the image.

If WVU is to compete regionally for enrollment they HAVE to upgrade in any way possible and they are doing that.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 25,247 times
Lol
I recently visited nc state UVA and unc w my son...our dorms are arguably better !

Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 PM

286 posts, read 348,660 times
Haha you want a cookie?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecsh View Post
Lol
I recently visited nc state UVA and unc w my son...our dorms are arguably better !
That does not mean they can't be better still, and competition provides an incentive for all providers to put their best feet forward.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I came down from NY last weekend to visit family and I went to the ball game. I was surprised with how quick University Park was taking shape. I can see that being done by next school year, if bad winter weather doesn't slow them down. Also managed to swing through sunnyside and saw that U. Place was looking close to complete. These two dorms alone will bring WVU's housing up to speed and ahead of alot of other institutions.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I came down from NY last weekend to visit family and I went to the ball game. I was surprised with how quick University Park was taking shape. I can see that being done by next school year, if bad winter weather doesn't slow them down. Also managed to swing through sunnyside and saw that U. Place was looking close to complete. These two dorms alone will bring WVU's housing up to speed and ahead of alot of other institutions.
Chris, The University has a stated intent to grow enrollment during the next decade and these facilities are vital parts of what it will take to accomplish that. Developers and investors see the major potential for Morgantown and WVU and they are moving in to take advantage of that. Nearly all of this is being accomplished with private or bond funds that will be paid from future revenue streams. There is next to no taxpayer funding involved.

West Virginia University is on track to compete with peer institutions in PA, Ohio, VA, and Maryland and Morgantown is a major part of that process. There is some bumping and lurching that is part of the process, but it is progressing very well. The only missing part is adequate roadway infrastructure, and that will absolutely take state involvement. I fell certain that will come in time, but it will take longer than any of us would like. Our city and The University will be the showplaces they have every potential to become, and when that happens the stereotypes associated with our state will start to disappear. Morgantown and WVU are frequently on display in the national media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: