Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower2 View Post
No that is an incredibly discriminatory view against the handicapped, as they have not chosen their disability and have the same rights to options as other able bodied individuals. Not to mention, illegal.
I certainly don't mean to be discriminatory. I'm saying business owners have choices that they can make too, and government just might not need to be involved with every decision a businessman makes. Some of the laws on the books are a bit over the top. You could make a case that this one is not, if you are a zealot about handicapped "rights" but there are other perspectives too, including the one that says business owners have a right to determine who they will cater to with their businesses. Business owners are in business to make a profit... that is how our economic system works. They are not in business to appease government, which has often shown it really does not know best. That said, I am glad that most businesses go out of their way to accomodate the handicapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 AM

250 posts, read 331,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I certainly don't mean to be discriminatory. I'm saying business owners have choices that they can make too, and government just might not need to be involved with every decision a businessman makes. Some of the laws on the books are a bit over the top. You could make a case that this one is not, if you are a zealot about handicapped "rights" but there are other perspectives too, including the one that says business owners have a right to determine who they will cater to with their businesses. Business owners are in business to make a profit... that is how our economic system works. They are not in business to appease government, which has often shown it really does not know best. That said, I am glad that most businesses go out of their way to accomodate the handicapped.
You can't be serious CT as it relates to Handicapped access.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:46 AM

273 posts, read 382,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The Only reason that most businesses go out of their way to accommodate people with disabilities is because the ADA requires them to. If you compare Europe with the U.S., you'll find that people with disabilities can almost never find appropriate housing, jobs, or businesses that are accessible. The only difference is the ADA in the U.S. I hope you never find yourself disabled, but if you do, you'll be glad there are laws giving you the opportunity to continue to participate in society.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
WTF is wrong with you
Oh my, excuse me. I have an opinion, and suddenly something is "wrong" with me and you want to make it a personal attack? How very liberal of you.

Why is it so many have been indoctrinated in the ways of political "correctness" that they fail to realize that there are two sides to every issue. Over reaching government should be of concern to everyone, regardless of the issue involved. I never once said there should not be provisions made for handicapped people, but to even suggest that the government might not want to intrude into private enterprise somehow makes something "wrong" with me. My take on that is something very different. The shouting down of folks who might not agree with a particular opinion shows something terribly amiss with our way of thinking in our country. In my view, that is "wrong". It never used to be that way. People were once able to disagree, discuss, and talk about issues without that becoming some sort of avenue for personal attacks.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
The Only reason that most businesses go out of their way to accommodate people with disabilities is because the ADA requires them to. If you compare Europe with the U.S., you'll find that people with disabilities can almost never find appropriate housing, jobs, or businesses that are accessible. The only difference is the ADA in the U.S. I hope you never find yourself disabled, but if you do, you'll be glad there are laws giving you the opportunity to continue to participate in society.
Again, like Greystreet, who seemingly seldom misses a chance to launch into some sort of personal attack, you want to make this about me. In fact, I do have disabilities, but don't let that get in the way of having a chance to shout down a different opinion. I also lived in Europe for 4 years. I'm really not sure why you would somehow want to say they are better than us in that regard, but I have a different take on that too.

The ADA has helped many disabled people. That does not mean it is always applied rationally, or with the proper results. I have seen the ADA greatly overused. I have also seen power used for political vendettas. Neither is good for our country. But, once again, and let me emphasize this, I am not suggesting that provisions should not be made for the handicapped! I am saying that, in many cases, our government has turned into an organized witch hunt that does more harm that good. In this case, I am also saying that left thinking people might want to take a look at ways to developing open minds so that they can see that there are always divergent issues at stake in any public matter. We all have a vested interest in seeing that individual liberties are maintained.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 10-02-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
You can't be serious CT as it relates to Handicapped access.
Why can't it be serious to look at things from different perspectives? We really don't have to march in lockstep with political correctness now, do we? Any matter can result in government overreach. If a business has a 20 space parking lot out front, for example, and some bureaucrat comes along and says they have to designate 5 of them as special handicapped places when they know from experience that they never have more than 2 handicapped shoppers at once in their location, then that bureaucrat is taking bread off the table of the businessman's family.

I worked in a facility in New York that happened to be almost totally run by females. Half the people working there were males though. They decided that they needed to provide a handicapped restroom because every once in awhile they had a customer that was handicapped. Good concept, right? I really couldn't disagree with that. The problem is, they had 3 womens restrooms on my end of the building and only one mens restroom. Guess which restroom they choose to make a unisex handicapped restroom? Now, all the guys like me who needed to take a leak had to walk 200 yards to do so in private. The ADA is a nice concept, but it can be overused like any other government concept.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:27 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I agree with CT on this one. If the government wants to get involved with making sure that there is enough handicap accessible housing, then they should either have tax breaks for developers who participate, or give grants to developers where disability housing is most efficient. The feds expect every mom and pop business and apartment complex to be able to pay for handicap accessible units. i think larger developers should be held to higher standards, but expecting grandpa Fred to comply with ADA standards is ridiculous. I am all for having equal opportunities for the disabled, but there is a cost to doing so and not everyone can realistically meet that cost. Business owners have rights too. Business owners should try to accommodate the best they can to help the disabled! Sometimes though, its impractical to meet every need in every single building in the country. Before you know it, the feds will require that every home have a handicap ramp because you might have handicapped visitors or you might put your house on the market and it would need to be equally available for a disabled person.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree with CT on this one. If the government wants to get involved with making sure that there is enough handicap accessible housing, then they should either have tax breaks for developers who participate, or give grants to developers where disability housing is most efficient. The feds expect every mom and pop business and apartment complex to be able to pay for handicap accessible units. i think larger developers should be held to higher standards, but expecting grandpa Fred to comply with ADA standards is ridiculous. I am all for having equal opportunities for the disabled, but there is a cost to doing so and not everyone can realistically meet that cost. Business owners have rights too. Business owners should try to accommodate the best they can to help the disabled! Sometimes though, its impractical to meet every need in every single building in the country. Before you know it, the feds will require that every home have a handicap ramp because you might have handicapped visitors or you might put your house on the market and it would need to be equally available for a disabled person.
Your home isn't a business. Stupid argument.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I've been called a lot worse than stupid, but I have an opinion. A businessman's business is how he supports his home. Disagreeing with somebody does not make a person stupid. Being closed minded, and not looking at alternatives without labeling others is definitely borderline stupidity of the sort promoted by the empty headed political correctness crowd, most of which are insulated from the consequences of their inbuilt ignorance with tenured positions and guaranteed paychecks, government jobs, or have never had to work at their own endeavors.

Idealism is nice. It is simple minded and doesn't really require thinking. Realism is something else. It is a lot easier to simply become a sheeple and believe anything someone is indoctrinated with than it is to apply reason and thought to decisions. Some of our government agencies, especially the feel good ones, have become inundated with mindless zealot thugs who run around looking for any excuse to levy fines and punishment. Someone acting like that is not really looking out for the best interests of anyone.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
It's all about progression of standards. The government has a nasty habit of increasing regulations upon getting a foot in the door on a certain policy. Example; if the feds are regulating the length of a parking space, naturally the next step for the feds would be to improve upon that by possibly regulating the width of a spot. Then maybe they want to regulate the paint color or require that every parking spot have a concrete block at the head to prevent cars from over parking. All I am saying is, the feds want to grind out every regulation possible, which as a result hurts small business owners (In our case people who rent apartments out).

I totally support handicapped ramps and accessibility, but you have to account for the businesses that have to cater to them. If it is going to be required for every business/apartment complex to provide this then there needs to be federal help along side. Business owners shouldn't be fined for not having them if the gov. isn't coming along side and helping. I think that businesses over a certain size should be required to, but not mom and pop places that lack the resources.

This is my opinion. I am not an expert on any of this, but I still have a right to support an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown