Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
Most of what you said is true and I cant argue with it, but it is inaccurate and downright false that we dont have ghetto areas.

Otherwise, dead on.
We have no ghetto areas based on race, although there is one very small place where a disproportionate number of minorities live, and that area is perfectly safe day or night. We do have the student ghetto areas, but those are getting fewer and fewer all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 AM

5 posts, read 12,741 times
CTMountaineer: What is happening with the student areas? Are they fewer but larger or denser? Has WVU added more on-campus housing? Or do you mean the student neighborhoods are nicer in general than they used to be and there are fewer decrepit areas? I'm just curious.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,213 times
Nobody has mentioned this yet, so check out a couple Westover neighborhoods - West/Main/High St, or Park (a long street that winds through the nicer part of town), and the area around New York/New Jersey Ave. Great neighborhoods, older, affordable homes, with the Skyview Elem/Middle School district. Although certain schools are the best, Morgantown area has the best set of schools top-to-bottom of any almost any competing metro (in other words, the best schools are not much different from the worst schools - a good thing in this case).

Check into this, but in WV you have the option of taking your children to another school if you can provide transportation - and Westover is conveniently located for Morgantown High School and some other primary schools.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoosouthern View Post
CTMountaineer: What is happening with the student areas? Are they fewer but larger or denser? Has WVU added more on-campus housing? Or do you mean the student neighborhoods are nicer in general than they used to be and there are fewer decrepit areas? I'm just curious.
They are being replaced with new public and private student housing, some of it outright luxurious.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 AM

16,668 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Please stop arguing. Address the OP questions. Add useful comments. Politely correct incorrect postings. Don't respond to trolls. Report them instead. Sometimes it takes a while for a report to be dealt with, but they do get read. Let me repeat. Don't respond to the trolls. If you respond and then report the same post, your report has little credibility and it makes fixing the problem a lot more work.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 PM

32 posts, read 59,629 times
I have found that renting from actual home owners is easier when it comes to negotiating pet policies. We were able to rent an almost new (3-year-old) single family home in a newer neighborhood with our two cats. The owner even waived the additional pet deposit if we agreed to keep the litter box in the garage. We know of another family who is renting a single family home with a VERY LARGE dog and multiple cats with no issues either.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM

191 posts, read 306,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We have no ghetto areas based on race, although there is one very small place where a disproportionate number of minorities live, and that area is perfectly safe day or night. We do have the student ghetto areas, but those are getting fewer and fewer all the time.
Incorrect, spoken from the experience of living in the ghetto areas. They are far from safe, however, this wont be an issue for her as she way out of that price range

Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 12,741 times
Thanks, Adam36. What is Westover itself like? Is there a good grocery store, coffee shop? Do Westoverians do most of their business in Morgantown, and if so, is it easy enough to get there? Is that bridge into Morgantown pedestrian friendly?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoosouthern View Post
Thanks, Adam36. What is Westover itself like? Is there a good grocery store, coffee shop? Do Westoverians do most of their business in Morgantown, and if so, is it easy enough to get there? Is that bridge into Morgantown pedestrian friendly?
There are some nice homes intermittently sold on Park Ave that are within half a mile of the bridge and overlook the river. The neighborhood by High (the Westover High St.), Orchard, Main, etc, is comparable in distance as it has a set of stairs that go to the bridge into Morgantown.

We do most of our business in Morgantown or surrounding areas. There is not a grocer, thus you'll have to travel for that, but it seems that most anyone I talk to nowadays shops at the Kroger at Suncrest Town Center, which is on the 'far' side of the city from Westover (10 min. drive). There are no neighborhood shops in Westover -- very much a bedroom community to Morgantown and the surrounding areas. I never check the crime stats, but it seems that the Riverside neighborhood is where almost all of the crime occurs in town, and that region is somewhat secluded from the places you'd be looking.

My wife and I live near within several blocks of the intersection of Fairmont and Holland (if you're on google maps) and it takes us 25 mins to walk to downtown Morgantown, and 2 minutes to drive. If you live in the first couple of neighborhoods I mentioned that walk time is less than half.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown