Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:46 PM

124 posts, read 151,408 times

Advertisements

I just heard yesterday that four more high-rise buildings are planned in the downtown area that will bring another 1,500-2,000 apartments. I'm not anti-redevelopment, but at what point does the general infrastructure need upgraded? Our roads are narrow and falling apart, and Morgantown was never configured to serve so many people. The real killer is the DOH. My neighbor works for them and says there is no money for any upgrades or repairs beyond filling holes. He says additional mileground work is at least 5 years out, and once the new interchange is done on 79, that's it for a while. The other problem is the students bring cars even if they live downtown, and drive a block or two to class. What happens to the thousands of apartments that were built on West Run? Some of those are now 50% vacant since WVU has gotten into the rental business. Again, we need some serious planning before we suffer from total gridlock. My DOH friend also said the Greenbag road improvements will never happen, so the truck thing is also dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I just heard yesterday that four more high-rise buildings are planned in the downtown area that will bring another 1,500-2,000 apartments. I'm not anti-redevelopment, but at what point does the general infrastructure need upgraded? Our roads are narrow and falling apart, and Morgantown was never configured to serve so many people. The real killer is the DOH. My neighbor works for them and says there is no money for any upgrades or repairs beyond filling holes. He says additional mileground work is at least 5 years out, and once the new interchange is done on 79, that's it for a while. The other problem is the students bring cars even if they live downtown, and drive a block or two to class. What happens to the thousands of apartments that were built on West Run? Some of those are now 50% vacant since WVU has gotten into the rental business. Again, we need some serious planning before we suffer from total gridlock. My DOH friend also said the Greenbag road improvements will never happen, so the truck thing is also dead.
Just who is your friend? I realize that our state government is an absolute mess, but I have a friend who says those scheduled things will take place. Our state highway organization is a total farse. They are still focused on building roads to nowhere, fiddling while Rome burns. It is imperative to get local control of highway funding and take that back from a dysfunctional state government, which is seeing 80 years of corrupt southern control come home to roost with one mess after another. With local control, funds generated here stay here and can actually be used to make the needed improvements, and the pork folks can use their own money to build their roads to nowhere.

The downtown apartments will actually reduce traffic because bring cars to campus or not, they will be used far less. Supposedly local officials are expecting a major business headquarters to be located in the new Gateway construction area which will again put demand on local rental resources. West Run investors jumped the gun to a degree because they were obviously vulnerable to being cut off at the pass by Biafora and others closer to town. They'll have to reduce rents, and that will in the end result in an ability to get rid of more student slums because those places won't be able to compete.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:52 AM

124 posts, read 151,408 times
Names can get people in trouble, but I agree, the state road situation is a mess. I don't blame the workers like my neighbor, but the politicians in Charleston that control the funding. Roads to nowhere are a big problem of pork politics. We (Mon county) continue to get the shaft when it comes to road projects. Take a drive to Marion, Harrison, etc, and compare the condition of the roads. Mon is the worst, and Preston isn't much better. Our elected officials have no influence in Charleston and it shows. I agree, we need more local control of the roads.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
These new high-rises something that will be coming through the planning pipeline soon? To account for 1500 beds would be quite significant for each project when one considers that the proposal at the VFW site would be 10+ stories, yet hold only ~350 beds.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM

http://www.morgantownwv.gov/wp-conte...enda_FINAL.pdf

No big news on the May agenda -- just some unfinished business regarding the urban ag. initiative and two minor subdivisions that need approval.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Here's the detail for the upcoming June meeting:

PC Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

A new development planned on Protzman, near the intersection with Stewart, and Biafore's new structure on Grant. I haven't checked to see what kind of special treatment Biafore is trying to get by asking for variances, but I'm sure it'll be inconsistent with his lawsuits against the the group trying to build at the VFW site.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:01 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Default Crap

There goes my view from SkyLine. I wonder why they are not just going to add onto SkyLine but instead call it a different apartment complex. Biafora is Metro, right? My favorite line in the proposal is how they expect it to reduce traffic, give me a break.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM

June Board of Zoning Appeals agenda:

BZA Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

A couple things of interest (and my interests pertain to Biafore, big surprise):

Glenmark (which belongs to Biafore, right?) is asking for variance relief to build a couple small commercial buildings between Greenbag Rd and Luckey Lane, near the Atomic and Mountainview Elementary.

The links are broken, but he's also requesting 7 variances for his new project on Grant Ave - only interesting because he just filed some sort of suit or legal request regarding the VFW site because he claims that the building should be illegal given that they asked for BZA variance requests. It's shameful that he can ask for similar treatment both before and after launching an assault on other developers.

In other news, you can see the site plans for the Sheetz - what I found most interesting is that the Sheetz will take up 2-3 acres of a much larger planned development of up to 10-11 acres. Neato, I just hope the developer offers to let themselves be annexed into the city first.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post

A couple things of interest (and my interests pertain to Biafore, big surprise):

Glenmark (which belongs to Biafore, right?) is asking for variance relief to build a couple small commercial buildings between Greenbag Rd and Luckey Lane, near the Atomic and Mountainview Elementary.

The links are broken, but he's also requesting 7 variances for his new project on Grant Ave - only interesting because he just filed some sort of suit or legal request regarding the VFW site because he claims that the building should be illegal given that they asked for BZA variance requests. It's shameful that he can ask for similar treatment both before and after launching an assault on other developers.

In other news, you can see the site plans for the Sheetz - what I found most interesting is that the Sheetz will take up 2-3 acres of a much larger planned development of up to 10-11 acres. Neato, I just hope the developer offers to let themselves be annexed into the city first.
I hope they want to be annexed too, but when you look at all the hoops a developer who located in the city has to jump through, one can understand why they often opt for the hassle free alternative.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 AM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post

It would be a shame if that Grant Ave development hit some snags in the process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown