Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
It would be a shame if that Grant Ave development hit some snags in the process
You know... we love Biafora when he develops, but don't like him when he gets in the way of others developing. I guess that's the nature of our free enterprise system. I have opposed him, especially on the VFW property, but he acts to protect his own interests like everyone else. I have corresponded with him and generally he is a reasonable guy. I will continue to oppose him on the VFW and University TIF issues though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 AM

75 posts, read 91,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
June Board of Zoning Appeals agenda:

BZA Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

A couple things of interest (and my interests pertain to Biafore, big surprise):

Glenmark (which belongs to Biafore, right?) is asking for variance relief to build a couple small commercial buildings between Greenbag Rd and Luckey Lane, near the Atomic and Mountainview Elementary.

The links are broken, but he's also requesting 7 variances for his new project on Grant Ave - only interesting because he just filed some sort of suit or legal request regarding the VFW site because he claims that the building should be illegal given that they asked for BZA variance requests. It's shameful that he can ask for similar treatment both before and after launching an assault on other developers.

In other news, you can see the site plans for the Sheetz - what I found most interesting is that the Sheetz will take up 2-3 acres of a much larger planned development of up to 10-11 acres. Neato, I just hope the developer offers to let themselves be annexed into the city first.
Glenmark is not a Biafora company, but another large developer here in Morgantown.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownRes View Post
Glenmark is not a Biafora company, but another large developer here in Morgantown.
Right... Biafora is developing Pierpont and Suncrest Town Center, among other things. Glenmark and Gateway are competitors.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:47 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times
The project is kaput. BZA rubber stamped another Biafora project while sending the CA Student Living project back to development hell. Well done City of Morgantown, ran off a perfectly good entity that wanted to invest a few million into the area.

Maybe the BZA will rubber stamp some Sheetz permits for that space now.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:00 AM

286 posts, read 348,551 times
Hopefully there will be fight back from CA student living

Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM

My impression is BZA didn't do it, but Biafora forced it into the courts. We all know that WV courts are rife with political corruption, so it might come down to who puts forth the most money, but maybe they can find a way to win out in that arena?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
...gotta be kidding me. Probably too soon, but is it seriously 100% done now after going through all of that?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 PM

I'm fairly sure they expected the legal challenge.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM

I'm supposed to hear about the current status today or tomorrow, and if I do I'll post what I find out.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
I'm seriously at a point where I want to show at a meeting and voice my opinion...but what's left to even say considering that it passes every time and that these are all just stall/scare tactics to either push back construction for as long as possible or drive the project away. I really hope they don't give up and keep pushing forward...we need something like this in that spot very badly. I'd like to think of this project passing as a gateway for similar things on a large scale to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown