Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 04:32 AM

22 posts, read 50,522 times

Advertisements

I have connections to Morgantown, although I've never lived there. I too, was shocked by the condition of secondary, etc. roads and streets in the area, on a recent visit. I too, am NOT criticizing what I am sure is a frustrated local population, as well as students from all over. I think that Mon County needs to have the fortitude to sue the state of WV. Either you guys need to force Charleston to give you your fair share to rebuild roads and bridges, or you need to force the state to turn the roads in the county, with the exception of interstates, over to you guys for maintainance. You'll have to raise taxes and maybe tuition at WVU to cover the costs. But you guys gave a real mess on your hands. Mississippi is as equally poor overall, as is WV. Yet, in areas such as Oxford, you never see roads in such a poor state of repair. I do realize, however, that you guys have the snow plow challenge. In Indiana, they pave surface streets in concrete, rather than asphalt, to address this issue. Either way, again, it's going to take courage to permanently address this problem. But it looks REALLY bad. I wish you guys very much success in whatever you choose to do. And I look forward to coming back up soon.
On another point: Morgantown has even more potential than I wonder if some people realize. Check out Asheville, NC, a small city that reminds me of your beautiful city, in many ways. 30 years ago, downtown Asheville was a boarded up dump, full of derelicts and even hookers. And lots of litter. Now, Morgantown is nothing like what Asheville used to be. But with the right marketing, ala a partnership with Dr Gee and WVU, you guys could turn that place into a huge retirement and tourism Mecca. Just suggesting!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
NCurban Native;

Thanks for your post. I am from here and couldn't agree more. The roads have gotten so bad in the last few years that people have almost become "used to it". I am hoping that some of that complacency can be turned around and more people will put pressure on local and state leaders to do something. I know I am.

You are right that residents can technically sue the state for these road conditions. They are 100% responsible for maintaining the roads. One of my friends asked an attorney about it. No one has due to the astronomical cost and time involved. It could also make things worse as there has been speculation that roads in Mon County are neglected more so than in the rest of the state due to the current city truck ban lawsuit against the DOH. Nancy Ganz, one of the city councilors, even asked a DOH rep about that very same issue during a recent city council meeting. His response was of course, "This is the first I heard of that"...

One of my friends has to drive all over WV and in PA, MD and Ohio and has told me that Mon is by far the worst. Between him and another family member he has purchased 16 tires this year. Only damage occurred in Mon County and he ruined a new set due to his car being out of alignment. Also he has had expensive suspension damage to his car. The snow plow issue is a common excuse, but that is not the problem here. MD gets more snow than we do and their rural roads are like superhighways compared to ours. I saw a facebook post recently from a resident who travels the country and he stated the best roads he saw anywhere were in Colorado.

They just don't maintain the roads here. There is no patching when holes are still small and manageable and no proper drainage to speak of. Paving schedules are now stretched to 20-30 years rather than the prior 10-12. It's a mess.

You wouldn't be aware of this and I am not sure how many current residents are either, but we are facing another dire situation this winter. The inferior patches are of course going to come out after the first freeze bringing all of the old holes back, but we also don't have enough snow plow drivers. Delegate Brian Kurcaba was on the radio recently (WAJR has this podcasted) and he stated the DOH hiring process now takes 4 months. It's almost October so if they started hiring now that still puts us into Feb. It's just unreal.

This is very sad as Morgantown has so many things to offer. I myself can't get excited about any of this as long as I am forced to drive on third world roads.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 PM

22 posts, read 50,522 times
Interesting that you made the above comment about "third world roads." After I posted the above, I thought to myself, I've been on better roads in the Caribbean! But...I mean NO offense. We have our own road problems here. I'm sure you guys have experienced the bottleneck called I-77 into Charlotte from points north. What a mess..and 15 years behind in widening. Unfortunately, the solution for I-77 was worked out in opposition to what most citizens want. Our state has entered into a what will prove to be a disaster, contract with a SPANISH (!!) contractor to build and who will OWN toll lanes in both directions! And the tolls will amount to over $20 per day for those who can afford to use them. Can you imagine? We have road builders right here who could have contracted those lanes. And what is REALLY unfair, is that just like your Charleston, our Raleigh consistently moves our major road projects down the priority list nearly every year. It has taken over 20 years for Charlotte to get it's much-needed Beltway built. We are the largest metro in the US without a full beltway. Yet, Raleigh has been for at least 15 years, building a second beltway and has new toll roads plus superhighways in every direction to every one horse town within 50 miles! Eastern NC runs this state government-wise, with few exceptions - goes back to the agricultural foundation of the state. But of course, the above is a nice problem to have, I know.
I mention all of this because, to an outsider, it seems to me that northern WV has some push back (rivalry?) from Charleston. But ya know, many of the lawmakers are WVU alumni. And it would just seem LOGICAL that they would WANT to showcase Morgantown with nice roads and landscape beautification (see Ole Miss, Alabama, UGA, Carolina, USC). Do they not think about the opinions formed by people from all over the Big XII who visit? Do they not consider what people think when they visit the area for possible relocation and future TAXPAYING? People like the original poster here? How about companies that may want to relocate to what is otherwise a prosperous and highly educated region? They pay taxes too.
On three final notes: Congrats to WVU researchers, who recently garnered worldwide recognition in relation to the VW debacle. That's exceptional!
And to the WVU football team on their defeat of Maryland!
Lastly, (pardon me as I digress), I had the misfortune to read an article recently that stated that over 50% of American children are now living in low income homes. For the record, WV was not at the top of the list. Both Carolinas' stats were worse, as were several other states, including California. Sadly for Mississippi children, a whopping 71% of them now live in a low income home Breaks my heart for them. (Thanks NAFTA!) Yet, the airhead Hollywood crowd is having some sort of Global Citizen Festival this week to assist everyone but our own here in the USA! I wonder what the little children in our poorest homes think when they see these things on TV? Forgotten?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:43 PM

125 posts, read 153,407 times
Both interesting and sickening I drove across America (from Ore.) two months ago - and the worst interstate I hit was I-64 from the WV line. Beat to pieces! Then, one of the best (and most amazing) stretches was the super-smooth and carefully patched TOLL ROAD down I-77 to SW VA… So, they spend your federal highway funds elsewhere, let the un-tolled roads disintegrate, then charge ‘us’ for a smooth ride..?

I was so pissed from that experience I told myself, ‘I’ll never drive into WV again!’

Looking to relocate and ease into retirement, with proceeds from the sale of my family farm… I’ve been invited by a friend back to WV (been staying with another friend in DC, and that’s not for me) ...and while doing additional homework, stumble onto this thread.

I realize my experience was at the opposite end of your state, but reading this - it appears systemic I wonder if the ‘powers that be’ realize they’re very likely losing potential tax-paying citizens without even knowing it - due to the lousy condition of their (your) roads? Maybe they should be sent our repair bills? Or how bout a class-action lawsuit..? Everyone upset contributes … great publicity for the State of West Virginia - Not ~

Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregone View Post
Both interesting and sickening I drove across America (from Ore.) two months ago - and the worst interstate I hit was I-64 from the WV line. Beat to pieces! Then, one of the best (and most amazing) stretches was the super-smooth and carefully patched TOLL ROAD down I-77 to SW VA… So, they spend your federal highway funds elsewhere, let the un-tolled roads disintegrate, then charge ‘us’ for a smooth ride..?

I was so pissed from that experience I told myself, ‘I’ll never drive into WV again!’

Looking to relocate and ease into retirement, with proceeds from the sale of my family farm… I’ve been invited by a friend back to WV (been staying with another friend in DC, and that’s not for me) ...and while doing additional homework, stumble onto this thread.

I realize my experience was at the opposite end of your state, but reading this - it appears systemic I wonder if the ‘powers that be’ realize they’re very likely losing potential tax-paying citizens without even knowing it - due to the lousy condition of their (your) roads? Maybe they should be sent our repair bills? Or how bout a class-action lawsuit..? Everyone upset contributes … great publicity for the State of West Virginia - Not ~
The turnpike is well paved because it has a dedicated funding stream from its tolls. The rest of the interstates and us highways compete for funding out of the same pool of funding (general maintenance) or receive dedicated funding directed by state or federal legislation for a specific purpose (not general maintenance).

Its only logical to expect the roadway that has a direct funding stream will be in better condition than those that don't.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Its only logical to expect the roadway that has a direct funding stream will be in better condition than those that don't.
Then my assumptions are verified... But on my 3,000 mile interstate venture, WV is apparently spending less on their Public Interstates than every state (I traveled) in between, while making travelers on the one they (taxpayers) 'pay for' spend additional money for a safe ride. Very wrong

Old 09-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Then my assumptions are verified... But on my 3,000 mile interstate venture, WV is apparently spending less on their Public Interstates than every state (I traveled) in between, while making travelers on the one they (taxpayers) 'pay for' spend additional money for a safe ride. Very wrong
I haven't really noticed a difference between WV interstates and those of other states on the whole. There are some good roads, as well as some bad, and many states have at least one toll road or turnpike.

Also, how can you make such a generalized argument having only traveled on a small portion of the overall road network? You don't know the condition of I-64 east of Beckley or I-81 over in the eastern panhandle or I-79 up to Morgantown.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Also, how can you make such a generalized argument having only traveled on a small portion of the overall road network? You don't know the condition of I-64 east of Beckley or I-81 over in the eastern panhandle or I-79 up to Morgantown.
...indicators, like the worst consistent stretch of Interstate in, now, 4,000 miles across enough states that I've lost count.. And, this thread ...covering the NE portion of WV. That, and the descriptions I've read today regarding the depressed condition of WV overall, and it's all yours

I know I-81 through VA is just fine, and will be using it soon

Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
...indicators, like the worst consistent stretch of Interstate in, now, 4,000 miles across enough states that I've lost count.. And, this thread ...covering the NE portion of WV. That, and the descriptions I've read today regarding the depressed condition of WV overall, and it's all yours

I know I-81 through VA is just fine, and will be using it soon
This thread is about local and secondary routes...

Have fun in VA, but watch out, there are a few rough patches near Staunton; I would hate to see VA have the second worst roads in America

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:

Oregone;

I lived in Alexandria for a year and you may be interested in an area like the eastern panhandle. You are still very close to DC by train but it would be a great place to retire. The roads are also overall much better than many parts of the rest of the state. If interstates are bad you can only imagine the secondary/rural roads. We are part of three districts out of ten that are identified by the state's highway commissioner as the "worst in the state"; these are N. Central WV, the Northern Panhandle and the district that includes part of Charleston. The eastern panhandle is not included in this.

Feel free to send a comment to our Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin about your experience on our highways. If you just google the name and go to comments it's very user friendly. We are at a tipping point in WV with roads and I am pleading with ANYONE reading this to contact your reps or if you don't live here the governor. Many politicians have told me there is so much infighting nothing may be done yet AGAIN during this year's legislative session.

The one good highway you drove on; the WV Turnpike, is in jeopardy of having the tolls removed. That means an already overburdened and underfunded DOH will have to take it over. This article is one of many to sum up the problem. Budget shortfalls pose issues to fix crumbling roads - Bluefield Daily Telegraph: News

I am really sorry for your experience traveling through WV. It's not just an embarrassment; it's dangerous. I totally understand as I am a life long resident and I am on fire over this issue. One of my cars is a sports car and it's basically rendered "undrivable" due to current road conditions. This is ridiculous.

Just so you know how upset people are (and it's STILL not getting our leaders to come up with a plan to fix this) people have resorted to threatening WV DOH workers. No one condones this of course, but this is just an example of how far it's gotten here. This summer workers have gotten verbal abuse, been threatened with guns and someone was even arrested recently for threatening to blow up a DOH district office. We are at a point here that I am surprised this is not national news yet. WV MetroNews – Harassment of DOH workers reported across West Virginia

Last edited by motownnative; 09-29-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown