U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 AM
 
483 posts, read 486,054 times
Reputation: 182

Advertisements

Announced today that the city and Air Force are partnering together to add 1,101 feet of runway to the existing airport. Surveying will begin in June and construction is penciled to begin in April of 2016. The extra length will allow the airport to take on more international flights.

With the runway being expanded, I think we also have some sort of a idea when the highway improvements will begin in the mileground area too, at least on that side of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2015, 10:02 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
Reputation: 1782
That's great news. It will be West Virginia's first airport with International capabilities, implying Border and Customs functions. That was made necessary here by Mylan's major expansions internationally. They had to stop using the Morgantown Airport due to those factors and now they can use it again, and with the Air Force Reserve's participation takeoffs and landings will take a large jump in numbers. This is also big in terms of Camp Dawson's use as a national military conference center.

I can also say from experience that the military engineering teams are first rate. This will be done to the very highest standards.

WV MetroNews – Air Force Reserves partnering on Morgantown airport runway extension
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Mount Morris, PA
273 posts, read 323,069 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's great news. It will be West Virginia's first airport with International capabilities, implying Border and Customs functions. That was made necessary here by Mylan's major expansions internationally. They had to stop using the Morgantown Airport due to those factors and now they can use it again, and with the Air Force Reserve's participation takeoffs and landings will take a large jump in numbers. This is also big in terms of Camp Dawson's use as a national military conference center.

I can also say from experience that the military engineering teams are first rate. This will be done to the very highest standards.

WV MetroNews – Air Force Reserves partnering on Morgantown airport runway extension
I'm really excited about this. It's still a dream, I think, to fly out of Morgantown commercially and not break the bank though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
Reputation: 1782
We'll never be a Pittsburgh in terms of our airport, and we are too close to them to have a major commercial presence, but I do believe we will have lots of specialty options with the much larger runway for tours and discounted fares to specific cities and the like, as well as provide for the sorts of business activity that will benefit our entire area.

Also, this airport will meet military specifications for the largest airplanes, something only available in Martinsburg today, within our state. That could lead to more military involvement in the future because I have a hunch at some point the Pentagon will be consolidating activities more and more as a cost savings measure and this puts us in a good position to potentially benefit from that as airports with smaller runways aren't nearly as competitive in terms of flexibility. At some point, I believe all those ancient C-130 cargo aircraft are going to be replaced with something else that might require greater flexibility in terms of operations space, and something close to major population centers for logistics purposes.

There is a lot of development activity going on around Morgantown Airport... roads, buildings, military construction and the like, and it is happening for a reason. Some say a corporate headquarters is slated to be located on the other side of I-79 across from the ballpark, but officials are staying mum about the potential development.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
567 posts, read 532,421 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We'll never be a Pittsburgh in terms of our airport, and we are too close to them to have a major commercial presence, but I do believe we will have lots of specialty options with the much larger runway for tours and discounted fares to specific cities and the like, as well as provide for the sorts of business activity that will benefit our entire area.

Also, this airport will meet military specifications for the largest airplanes, something only available in Martinsburg today, within our state. That could lead to more military involvement in the future because I have a hunch at some point the Pentagon will be consolidating activities more and more as a cost savings measure and this puts us in a good position to potentially benefit from that as airports with smaller runways aren't nearly as competitive in terms of flexibility. At some point, I believe all those ancient C-130 cargo aircraft are going to be replaced with something else that might require greater flexibility in terms of operations space, and something close to major population centers for logistics purposes.

There is a lot of development activity going on around Morgantown Airport... roads, buildings, military construction and the like, and it is happening for a reason. Some say a corporate headquarters is slated to be located on the other side of I-79 across from the ballpark, but officials are staying mum about the potential development.


You're correct about this. I've heard what they're going to be replaced with but cannot say for obvious reasons. But luckily, after Charleston almost losing the C-130s a couple years ago, it seems like an aircraft presence in Charleston is here to stay. How that relates to Morgantown, I'm not sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Washington, WV
280 posts, read 418,330 times
Reputation: 150
With the university Morgantown needs a larger airport. I could see Allegiant switching their service to Morgantown from Clarksburg, or for a Spirit Airlines to come in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,570 posts, read 7,759,345 times
Reputation: 835
Clarksburg still has the longer runway, being over 7,000 feet. Not sure how long the runway has to be for the larger Allegiant planes but Clarksburg didn't land those flights until they expanded I believe. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
 
75 posts, read 100,763 times
Reputation: 47
Just a little FYI, the C130 isn't slated to be replaced until 2024 at the earliest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Ohio via WV
567 posts, read 532,421 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine5811MP View Post
Just a little FYI, the C130 isn't slated to be replaced until 2024 at the earliest.

From what I understand from a army pilot friend, it's not that the C-130s are getting "replaced" but it's that a different wing is going to be transferred to charleston and the c-130s moved elsewhere. This info is probably pushing a year old so it may have changed. I'll report if different
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 PM
 
10 posts, read 17,786 times
Reputation: 21
"Mountain Air Services Moves Operation to Morgantown, W.Va."

Buckhannon based business to be relocated to MGW.

Mountain Air Services Moves Operation to Morgantown, W.Va. - WDRB 41 Louisville News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top