Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

The $100 million upgrade project for the PRT continues this Summer in Morgantown...

West Virginia University's PRT Making Improvements - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:45 PM

273 posts, read 382,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The $100 million upgrade project for the PRT continues this Summer in Morgantown...

West Virginia University's PRT Making Improvements - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather
I really hope the next PRT upgrade announcement includes an extension to the University Town Center.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I can't help but think a Monorail style system would work better. I know when I was younger I remember being crammed into those things. With traffic the way it is, if it could expand beyond Evansdale and downtown it could be a boon the whole city if it was expanded. Maybe Morgantown could pass a levy for improvements.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I can't help but think a Monorail style system would work better. I know when I was younger I remember being crammed into those things. With traffic the way it is, if it could expand beyond Evansdale and downtown it could be a boon the whole city if it was expanded. Maybe Morgantown could pass a levy for improvements.
A monorail system doesn't have the flexibility necessary for this system's operation. It isn't perfect, but it has been going strong for 45 years and they are making great strides at improving it. I agree that local government should get involved to help expand it, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Logical expansions would include the Wharf District and the Coliseum for starters. The PRT has a ridership of about 1 million annually.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
A monorail system doesn't have the flexibility necessary for this system's operation. It isn't perfect, but it has been going strong for 45 years and they are making great strides at improving it. I agree that local government should get involved to help expand it, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Logical expansions would include the Wharf District and the Coliseum for starters. The PRT has a ridership of about 1 million annually.
It doesn't have the flexibility at the moment... No... But would it not be an investment for the future? In order for a locality to continue to improve it must continue to innovate and just think about the amount of lost time that is wasted in traffic. A subway system is something out of question, a monorail would be basically the PRT on steroids, it would work.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
It doesn't have the flexibility at the moment... No... But would it not be an investment for the future? In order for a locality to continue to improve it must continue to innovate and just think about the amount of lost time that is wasted in traffic. A subway system is something out of question, a monorail would be basically the PRT on steroids, it would work.
A subway is definitely out of the question. We don't have any cities in our state that would support that sort of very expensive development that requires large numbers of riders on a regular basis to pay for upkeep, operation, and maintenance. Even Pittsburgh only has a very limited edition of one of those, and they have 2.7 million people living in that vicinity. You're right about time wasted in traffic. We definitely have traffic issues here. If you've spent any time here during the past several years, you know that when the students are in town, and the shifts change at the hospitals, research facilities, university, and factories it becomes gridlock here and you might easily spend 50 minutes getting through our little city. WV 705 has a traffic load of around 25,000 vehicles per day and growing, but a big part of that problem is the fact that all that traffic goes to Mileground which is not capable of handling it, or to WV 7 through Sabraton which is also gridlock. Northbound traffic fares somewhat better through Star City.

There is a major investment in the PRT. I don't see them replacing it with a monorail any time soon... just too expensive, and as we know, the technology for flexibility isn't there yet.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 AM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
I really hope the next PRT upgrade announcement includes an extension to the University Town Center.
Can't see that ever happening. Most likely expansion options are toward Mon General and Stewartstown and in the opposite direction toward the Wharf District and the Waterfront.

Here's the Master Plan from 2010. It discusses expansion options around page 213. I've seen mockup maps elsewhere as well

http://assets.slate.wvu.edu/resource...1404928039.pdf

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Can't see that ever happening. Most likely expansion options are toward Mon General and Stewartstown and in the opposite direction toward the Wharf District and the Waterfront.

Here's the Master Plan from 2010. It discusses expansion options around page 213. I've seen mockup maps elsewhere as well

http://assets.slate.wvu.edu/resource...1404928039.pdf
I agree, but I'd like to see a spur to the Coliseum and a mega parking garage constructed there integrated into the concept. That would accomplish a number of objectives... improve traffic flow downtown... offer parking and transport to and from work in a readily accessible manner, provide for parking and transport for events at the Coliseum, and with the Medical PRT station connction provide for improved public parking for football games.

They need to get somebody with vision involved with this and make some positive things happen. Personally, I'd be in favor of offering a job to the guy who is mayor of Huntington in that regard. He is doing great with what he has to work with. We could make good use of him here.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
I agree, but I'd like to see a spur to the Coliseum and a mega parking garage constructed there integrated into the concept. That would accomplish a number of objectives... improve traffic flow downtown... offer parking and transport to and from work in a readily accessible manner, provide for parking and transport for events at the Coliseum, and with the Medical PRT station connction provide for improved public parking for football games.

They need to get somebody with vision involved with this and make some positive things happen. Personally, I'd be in favor of offering a job to the guy who is mayor of Huntington in that regard. He is doing great with what he has to work with. We could make good use of him here.
He's ours. You can't have him!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
He's ours. You can't have him!
LOL ... I was just kidding, but I do think he is doing a good job there. We could use someone like him here, because with leadership with vision this place is literally chomping at the bit to accomplish amazing things. Right now, it is accomplishing great things even with lax leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown