Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times

Advertisements

TheDPost.com - New businesses coming to University Town Centre

Stores that I don't care about. But, and importantly, a distribution center of an unnamed company that will bring with it hundreds of jobs. And jobs that differs from those already in town. This is good news for the average working folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 PM

491 posts, read 610,239 times
Looking more like a perfect place to drop the old lady off and go catch some baseball

Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,298 times
Im curious about the distribution Center...hopefully its Walmart or Aldi's.....I would get a job at either one of those so I could transfer when we move back to Texas!!

Chipotle > Qdoba All day everyday!!

Starbucks- Ive still never tried it lol (not a big coffee drinker)

never heard of Ulta or AC Moore

but I love to see more and more stuff coming!!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Im curious about the distribution Center...hopefully its Walmart or Aldi's.....I would get a job at either one of those so I could transfer when we move back to Texas!!

Chipotle > Qdoba All day everyday!!

Starbucks- Ive still never tried it lol (not a big coffee drinker)

never heard of Ulta or AC Moore

but I love to see more and more stuff coming!!
As for Starbucks, don't waste your time. There's always a line of prima donna's who want some annoyingly complicated drink that takes the Barista 5 mins to make, thus making a simple order for black coffee into a 20 minute wait.

Ulta is cosmetics/beauty products.
AC Moore is crafts and like supplies -- like the chain Michaels.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
This is great news for development on the Northwest side of Morgantown. It will further enhance the mix of employment opportunities. A lot of work has been put in on this by several local officials. There is an additional $86 million in development projects shovel ready just waiting for somebody in state government in Charleston to actually do something positive for a change, by picking up a pen and signing a piece of paper.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Here's another take on the developments...

Major Developments Coming to Westover and University Town Centre - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM

273 posts, read 382,197 times
This is good news all around.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
I'm trying to find the good news. A bunch of retail, fast food, and a mystery distro center outside the city. But hey, it's free TIF money!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 AM

I enjoy and share your cynicism for all but the distribution center. That's good -- I'm glad that if this goes through there will be more blue-collar jobs for those without degrees. It's not good, in my opinion, especially since some of the production folks at Mylan may need to start finding work in the coming years...

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
I'm trying to find the good news. A bunch of retail, fast food, and a mystery distro center outside the city. But hey, it's free TIF money!
It's puzzling that every one of your posts is of a negative tone. You never find any good news here, in spite of the fact that our economy is a model for the nation, and we have a vibrant and growing city. There is no "free" TIF money. Every cent of that money is generated locally, which is the case with just about everything that happens around here. We do not have state government funding one project after another in our city (they scarcely bother to pave our roads), and that TIF money is developing areas that are vastly underutilized and not producing tax revenue in the first place, but will produce lots of it in the coming years.

You probably haven't paid any attention to the facts, as seems to be your practice, but the projections for this project are at least 1,000 tax paying jobs that don't exist now, and hundreds of millions of dollars in construction that will employ construction workers from all over West Virginia as well as neighboring areas in the process, like most of our projects around here. Our local workforce is way past fully employed for construction purposes, and in many parts of our state they are virtually idle. Those guys can come here to work, put in their five days, then take their paychecks home to Charleston, Beckley, Parkersburg, and so forth and use the money to support their families and pay local taxes where they live. If you actually spend any time here looking instead of finding something to knock. you will notice construction vehicles from all over our state and other areas too. This project absolutely benefits everyone all along the line.

If you don't think it worthwhile to have a TIF district when creating many jobs, how could you support the state laying out $15 million in public funds in another city in our state to pump up a vacant stamping plant to create 200 jobs? This isn't costing the public anything, because nothing is being produced on that land now and there is minimal tax revenue from it.

The distribution center that you find so mysterious will employ hundreds of blue collar workers, something that is much needed in these parts. Since that area is in growth mode, it needs the usual component of restaurants and shops found anywhere in our state and elsewhere. What do you find so bad about that? Whether or not you like Chipotle's and so forth matters little in the process. There are thousands who do like them or they wouldn't be built in the first place, and those businesses employ people and pay taxes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown