U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,296,542 times

Advertisements

WVU broke ground today for its newest student housing initiative in partnership with American Campus Communities. The 536 bed complex will compliment a growing number of first class housing options for WVU students in the coming years.

U Club Sunnyside - New Student Housing Opening Fall 2016

http://thedpost.com/U-Club-Sunnyside-groundbreaking
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,101,797 times
I was so confused when I first read the article. I searched for 729 Jones and Google drops the pin at the head of Jones at North. The University owns the small fire station there as well as all the land behind that, so I thought they were building a whole new complex up there (not too bad of an idea, but ever-encroaching on Wiles Hill) and somehow kept it hidden from us this whole time. Once I saw the rendering I realized it was the ACC Sunnyside development. I didn't know WVU would be affiliated with the project, so that's what caught me off-guard.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 AM

100 posts, read 94,926 times
Here is some more information and pictures of the project:

SUNNYSIDE UP-CNRC

Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 AM

100 posts, read 94,926 times
Also, here are pictures of the work being down at the corner of Beverly and University. Thank God that horrid buidling at the corner is being demolished:

SUNNYSIDE UP-CNRC

Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I was so confused when I first read the article. I searched for 729 Jones and Google drops the pin at the head of Jones at North. The University owns the small fire station there as well as all the land behind that, so I thought they were building a whole new complex up there (not too bad of an idea, but ever-encroaching on Wiles Hill) and somehow kept it hidden from us this whole time. Once I saw the rendering I realized it was the ACC Sunnyside development. I didn't know WVU would be affiliated with the project, so that's what caught me off-guard.
I didn't know that either. Things are happening so quickly it is hard to keep up with them. It seems they get one major project completed and two more start up. The whole face of Sunnyside is quickly changing. I believe major investors have taken a look at the map and realized investing in Morgantown is a great idea.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,101,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I didn't know that either. Things are happening so quickly it is hard to keep up with them. It seems they get one major project completed and two more start up. The whole face of Sunnyside is quickly changing. I believe major investors have taken a look at the map and realized investing in Morgantown is a great idea.
I made a map of all the new developments in and around Sunnyside since 2002 (Sunnyside Up! was created in 2003), when the Life Sciences Building was finished on campus. Those in white are in development now or recently finished, and those in purple have been built/extensively renovated after 2002. Seeing all that activity in the last 10-12 years, with a flurry in the past 2-3, point to even more big things there to come. I think the next big areas of growth will come in the form of affordable family housing and more retail/services to support an increased population. Judging by past and current development patters, I'd look to the areas between Grant and University/Houston and Campus to be retail-driven mixed-use and the area between Beechurst and University/3rd and 4th to be more residential with some services.

Infrastructure-wise, they need to update the utilities in the area, obviously, to handle the influx of people. They should also focus on creating physical connections/realignments where possible. The intersection with 6th and Beverly needs work, 8th St needs safety improvements, McLane needs connected (there would be some earth work but it's doable), 4th St. needs a pedestrian connection from Beverly to McLane (same thing for 5th from Grant to McLane), and the campus connector trail from Grant to Oakland is in dire need to be built.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:29 PM

That's a great map, and I agree 100%. On top of that, the new developments for Gateway will impact the entire area in the next few years. It would be awesome if The University would do some development work with the PRT to tie everything together with that too.

It's really had not to be excited about the things happening around Morgantown. We need to get that Mileground highway project completed, and focus on getting state funding for our primary economic engine, WVU, back to where it should be by getting that $90 million per year in appropriations back on track to return it to 2007 levels. Mylan is now solidified for the foreseeable future, privately funded research is increasing, new jobs are coming to Gateway... that mixed use and affordable family housing development you mentioned are taking on a whole new importance. I believe the 2% population increase projections per year for the next 20 years are too conservative.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:37 PM

191 posts, read 274,439 times
While its great to see all of the development, I will still longingly miss and reminisce on my drunken days as a young student stumbling through the old Sunnyside (those times that I can remember).

Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
While its great to see all of the development, I will still longingly miss and reminisce on my drunken days as a young student stumbling through the old Sunnyside (those times that I can remember).
The old Sunnyside is about 75% gone now, and most of the other 25% is sure to follow. I too have fond memories of that area from the early 60s, but it is time for our city to move on and embrace the modern world. Keeping High Street largely intact should be the goal. The rest of our city will gradually become the model city it's obvious amenities intend for it to be, regardless of what anybody thinks about it. The momentum has been in place for some time now and it is only gaining steam. Shovels are turning nearly everywhere here.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 AM

857 posts, read 824,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The old Sunnyside is about 75% gone now, and most of the other 25% is sure to follow. I too have fond memories of that area from the early 60s, but it is time for our city to move on and embrace the modern world. Keeping High Street largely intact should be the goal. The rest of our city will gradually become the model city it's obvious amenities intend for it to be, regardless of what anybody thinks about it. The momentum has been in place for some time now and it is only gaining steam. Shovels are turning nearly everywhere here.

Model for West Virginia I agree....if you suggest a model for the nation like you mentioned in another thread, then your Hubris is hysterical.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown