Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM

671 posts, read 1,052,179 times

Advertisements

Well well well, the DOH decided to convert the Beechurst turning lane to southbound. If I remember correctly, that plan ran into opposition and the DOH decided to table their plans... However, in the middle of night, they clearly decided to stick to their original idea, repainting it however they wanted. This majorly changes the flow of traffic through that area for no reason -- the new southbound lane doesn't start until just south of the intersection with Campus Drive, meaning that there is no ability to add capacity to that street, just making it extra difficult to left off of Beechurst, especially from the northbound lane (you'll have to cut through two lanes of traffic now). Overall, I care less that this was the decision than that it would appear the DOH arbitrarily decided to do something that the local residents had voiced opposition to just several months ago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:48 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,969,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Well well well, the DOH decided to convert the Beechurst turning lane to southbound. If I remember correctly, that plan ran into opposition and the DOH decided to table their plans... However, in the middle of night, they clearly decided to stick to their original idea, repainting it however they wanted. This majorly changes the flow of traffic through that area for no reason -- the new southbound lane doesn't start until just south of the intersection with Campus Drive, meaning that there is no ability to add capacity to that street, just making it extra difficult to left off of Beechurst, especially from the northbound lane (you'll have to cut through two lanes of traffic now). Overall, I care less that this was the decision than that it would appear the DOH arbitrarily decided to do something that the local residents had voiced opposition to just several months ago..
If they aren't going to add 2 lanes to Beechurst (which is absolutely what is called for here), they need to install a system of directional arrows that allow for 2 lanes southbound for the whole street one way in the afternoons, and the other way in the mornings with a center lane that can go either way, and be used for turns between 6pm and 6am. That said, if it is possible for our state's DoH to screw something up, they will definitely be able to accomplish that.

People need to get used to the notion that if they want to get East of Beechurst during the daytime, they need to be going North on Beechurst of access the area from the University Ave. side.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,405,013 times
Beechurst absolutely does not need two extra lanes, IMO. That will require the demolition of a good number of buildings (granted some need to come down anyway) and would create a pedestrian nightmare in Sunnyside. The riverfront is ripe for development, especially if/when the power plant is ever decommissioned, and creating a stroad through town would only weaken any semblance of a neighborhood there.

Morgantown obviously suffers from a lack of proper planning (can blame both past local and state officials) and inadequate infrastructure, with no easy alternative in terms of roads. Thus, transportation management needs to focus on multimodal options and spreading the traffic around on the existing road network instead of widening the few main roads to city-killing stroads. Creating better connections to Westover and Granville, which, apart from US 19, have under-capacity roads, can go a long way. So to would an actual Falling Run corridor to 705/Mileground. Extend the PRT around the hospitals, to the Waterfront, and to UTC if ever feasible. And the bus system in town, while the best in the state, is still woefully inadequate. I know these are still expensive options, but until people become less dependent on cars in Morgantown, destroying the city to create wider roads is not the answer. Create a place people want to drive to, not through. Cities aren't the garden hose, they're the garden.

But CT is 100% correct that they should install directional arrow signals. The road width actually has a fair amount of capacity; it's just horribly managed with permanent directions. Make it three lanes across with the two outside lanes going in opposite directions. Use the middle lane as a flex lane to be able to direct southbound, northbound, or as a turning lane during off-peak hours. These would be able to be utilized during events like games or convocation to better guide traffic without using needed police resources to wave people through. Compared to the other alternatives, it's pretty cost-effective.

Oh, and good luck to all of you guys up there. With University and Beechurst probably out of commission during move-in week, I would try and work from home.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:17 AM

354 posts, read 503,163 times
Are you saying they converted the turn lane between campus drive and Hough St (Eiesland Hall) to a southbound lane? Doesn't that just affect the people going north wanting to park in those lots along beechurst?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:03 AM

671 posts, read 1,052,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Are you saying they converted the turn lane between campus drive and Hough St (Eiesland Hall) to a southbound lane? Doesn't that just affect the people going north wanting to park in those lots along beechurst?
Yep, and those who want egress from those parking lots will now likely wait a LONG time to go northbound if they don't have the common sense to enter southbound. The main problem is that they've created two lanes without an ability to add to the road's capacity, as southbound remains a single lane at the intersection with Campus Drive.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM

191 posts, read 305,066 times
I just moved out of town a few months ago. I cant wait to see this mess they created

Old 08-06-2015, 02:49 PM

98 posts, read 112,613 times
The work is done . All paving and line stripes are complete . The southbound lane is now 2 lanes starting at Campus Drive heading towards Don K Blv .

Old 08-06-2015, 04:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,969,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Beechurst absolutely does not need two extra lanes, IMO. That will require the demolition of a good number of buildings (granted some need to come down anyway) and would create a pedestrian nightmare in Sunnyside. The riverfront is ripe for development, especially if/when the power plant is ever decommissioned, and creating a stroad through town would only weaken any semblance of a neighborhood there.

Morgantown obviously suffers from a lack of proper planning (can blame both past local and state officials) and inadequate infrastructure, with no easy alternative in terms of roads. Thus, transportation management needs to focus on multimodal options and spreading the traffic around on the existing road network instead of widening the few main roads to city-killing stroads. Creating better connections to Westover and Granville, which, apart from US 19, have under-capacity roads, can go a long way. So to would an actual Falling Run corridor to 705/Mileground. Extend the PRT around the hospitals, to the Waterfront, and to UTC if ever feasible. And the bus system in town, while the best in the state, is still woefully inadequate. I know these are still expensive options, but until people become less dependent on cars in Morgantown, destroying the city to create wider roads is not the answer. Create a place people want to drive to, not through. Cities aren't the garden hose, they're the garden.

But CT is 100% correct that they should install directional arrow signals. The road width actually has a fair amount of capacity; it's just horribly managed with permanent directions. Make it three lanes across with the two outside lanes going in opposite directions. Use the middle lane as a flex lane to be able to direct southbound, northbound, or as a turning lane during off-peak hours. These would be able to be utilized during events like games or convocation to better guide traffic without using needed police resources to wave people through. Compared to the other alternatives, it's pretty cost-effective.

Oh, and good luck to all of you guys up there. With University and Beechurst probably out of commission during move-in week, I would try and work from home.
Although I disagree about the need for 5 lanes (most recent construction there was accomplished with this in mind), I believe we are in accord about other solutions. The directional arrows would be a significant improvement, although they would impede access to the east side of Beechurst half the time. In my opinion, it is only a matter of time before a 5 lane solution is undertaken.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:20 PM

491 posts, read 605,951 times
While on the subject of Beechurst, can we get a no turn left sign of some kind placed at the bottom of 8th street or a signal?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 PM

75 posts, read 117,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I actually think this was a good idea. There are only a few parking lots in that area and none of them hold a whole lot of vehicles so pulling in and pulling out of those lots are minimal IMO. I went through there last night and had a slowpoke holding up about 7 other cars, no one else seemed to notice the new lane so I was able to pass all of them while maintaining the speed limit. I believe it will allow for faster moving on that stretch which could help some with the traffic situation. If it were my choice I would put a 5 lane all the way from the autozone below the coliseum to waterfront so that you have two lanes in both directions from 68 to 79.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown