Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,981,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
Maybe because they wouldn't sell. Once the other businesses open I imagine that their property values will increase.
They are sitting on a gold mine, and the value of that property will only continue to increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 PM

889 posts, read 1,044,929 times
Are we talkin about the city buying them out or private developers? cause if the city wants those two houses bad enough, theyll use good ol eminent domain eventually.....

Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM

203 posts, read 151,105 times
I am not sure their property values will increase. They don't always. When a homeowner is stubborn enough to think they are sitting on a gold mine they end up being left out. I have seen this before. The city or private developers will work around them and make do and when life becomes so miserable for the owners that THEY want to move - they aren't going to be offered as much as they had hoped. Simply because by that point other plans have already been made.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 PM

In that particular location, they are sitting on a gold mine because it is literally surrounded by top flight development. Whenever they decide to sell, there will be several who will step to the plate with offers. There are tens of thousands of cars a day going past there. It is right off 705, and walking distance to Mon General, Ruby Hospital, NETL, NIOSH, WVNET, Mylan Pharma, Mountaineer Field, and shopping and eating, and banking options too. It pretty much has it all.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Here's another thing about development there, or any other place in our area. We are fortunate here, as they are in Martinsburg, to be in a growing area. That means that when new development like this takes place, it is not necessarily taking away from existing assets. In areas that are bleeding population or are static with little or no growth, when something new is developed, it means the demise of something else. That is a big difference, and it lends more value to our area when the development happens.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 PM

108 posts, read 118,930 times
Default Is there a way to see who is in charge of certain roads?

Hello all,

Is there a map to see who is in charge of maintaining certain roads around here? I find it fascinating when you're driving along a road, and you get to a point where the smooth pavement turns into the decrepit pavement chunks we're so known for, for no apparent reason.

Thanks all.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:27 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,213,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
Hello all,

Is there a map to see who is in charge of maintaining certain roads around here? I find it fascinating when you're driving along a road, and you get to a point where the smooth pavement turns into the decrepit pavement chunks we're so known for, for no apparent reason.

Thanks all.
A general rule of thumb is, if it is nice and goes crappy, the nice road most likely was city with the terrible road being state.

I'm not sure if there is a map, but any "state route..." is obviously state. The city of Morgantown about a year ago sent out a thing highlighting some roads they are responsible for. You might want to contact them to see if they have a full map.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:02 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,525,079 times
If a road has a state or US route number, the maintenance is done by the state DOH. That included snow removal as well as repairs.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 PM

273 posts, read 380,264 times
I'll add that if a route has a state, US, or COUNTY route number (and then some), it's maintained by the state. The maps found here can be useful: Maps

Old 10-26-2016, 05:15 PM

108 posts, read 118,930 times
Thank you all for your replys and information. As I feared, there seems to be no reason for the quality changes. Based on the maps fuji2086 linked here, the road I had in mind when I made the thread is a county route. So it is smooth and then they seemed to just choose a point at which to stop caring about the road. This road generally gets plowed the day after a snowfall, usually not the day of.

They repave different segments of the roads around this road, but not others. The only reason I can think of is that they determine what gets paved based on traffic per day or something like that. I'm of the opinion that paved roads will see more traffic, so it is a self-fulfilling prophecy on their part. But whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown