Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM

250 posts, read 331,647 times

Advertisements

So what does everyone think about the Road Bond passing? Is the state capable of managing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
If they can actually spend the money on needed infrastructure instead of dumping millions into economic black holes with little return on investment, this can be a very good thing. Mon County has a great need for more infrastructure, and for repairs on existing infrastructure. So does Wheeling, where 60,000 vehicles per day cross an Interstate bridge that was built in the 1950s and is at least 2 lanes too small. I don't know how much good expressways to abandoned strip pits in the middle of nowhere will do though.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM

250 posts, read 331,647 times
You tell me.

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/hig...ect%20List.pdf

Some of the projects seem pretty solid.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
You tell me.

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/hig...ect%20List.pdf

Some of the projects seem pretty solid.
If they actually stick to the script, things should be okay. The trouble is, in this state, cronyism, corruption, payoffs, and special interests often rule the day. That's why the state is usually fighting it out with Mississippi for who gets to claim last place.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:15 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Small update and step forward on the MUB infrastructure expansion.

The Dominion Post - www.dominionpost.com

Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
This may eventually need it's own thread but saw this online today. The county is (finally) setting a hearing to implement laws regarding countywide subdivision and land development. The Dominion Post - Commission sets hearing for subdivision and land development law

I just skimmed through the info on link but it looks like there will be rules now that developers will need to abide by. Infrastructure impacts among many other things.

I thought I was hallucinating when I first read this.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
I get the need, but I'm afraid it will increase housing costs, which I consider to be too high for an area like Morgantown.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
I get the need, but I'm afraid it will increase housing costs, which I consider to be too high for an area like Morgantown.
I agree that housing costs are too high. However, costs here can be higher than in the Pittsburgh area which has zoning and land development restrictions. It won't drive costs up here IMO as there is no room in the market for them to go higher anyway.

This is an example of why we need it. Below is a lawsuit filed in late December. There are a lot more problems I have heard about countywide that are similar to this due to a lack of planning.

MORGANTOWN — The Morgantown Industrial Park argues that a nearby housing development failed in its storm water collection efforts and caused damage to the park and River Road.
The surface water caused the collapse of River Road onto the industrial park and a nearby church’s property, according to the filing. Some of the property inside the park has also been unmarketable and unsaleable as a result of soil movement.
The Dominion Post - Morgantown Industrial Park sues housing development

Last edited by motownnative; 01-14-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:57 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
FANTASTIC NEWS!

"DOH prepares for construction on W.Va. 705"

"DOH could start work as early as this summer on 705, starting at Stewartstown Road and running as far as the intersection near the WVU Coliseum"

"While the work will be significant, it’s the impact on local traffic that’s prompted him to start spreading the word now. He said that segment of 705 sees more than 30,000 vehicles daily."

“That’s really why I’m bringing it up today. We’re not hiding the fact that it’s going to be a nightmarish project,” Williams said. “There’s no alternatives to it. When we did Easton Hill, you had the Canyon Road bypass. We don’t really have a bypass for 705.”

Instead of throwing asphalt in there, we’re going to do it right. That being said, the fixing is the easy part,” Williams said. “It’s one of those things where you’ve got to go through the pain to get the results, and 705 is horrible.”

The Dominion Post - DOH prepares for construction on W.Va. 705

They should just start April 1 instead of waiting for the summer. The cost is estimated at 3 Million. Also I hope by doing it correctly, they put concrete back down in addition to completely rebuilding the base.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM

That is great news, but it would be a lot better if they were installing the much needed street lighting along the entire length of 705.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown