Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 08:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
I heard rumors from a DOH engineer of a new I-79 Exit 156 down the road in addition to a diverging diamond intersection to replace the old trumpet at exit 155. You sure you are not talking about this? I can't imagine they would replace an intersection that is 19 months old.
Would be hard to stomach them wasting a huge amount of money like that. Also if you look at my link, the diagram for diverging diamond there would take up a lot more land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 11:36 AM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
North Elementary school's light needs to switch to flash after 5 or 6 pm on Weekdays and be on flash during the weekends unless there is a school event. I don't know how many times I've been stopped there because someone took a right on red and triggered the lights to switch.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:08 PM

120 posts, read 151,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
I heard rumors from a DOH engineer of a new I-79 Exit 156 down the road in addition to a diverging diamond intersection to replace the old trumpet at exit 155. You sure you are not talking about this? I can't imagine they would replace an intersection that is 19 months old.
I'm talking about the new exit. From what I was told, the roundabout is the issue due to its not being able to handle increased capacity. Yes, it was poor planning/foresight, or maybe it was intentional to get the interchange up and running to start, with the knowledge that a new design would be needed a few years later after the developments on the west side of I-79 took off. That part I don't know. The new I-79 exit being referred to would most likely be in conjunction with the new bridge that will be constructed north of Star City. No official time-frame or location has been determined for those projects as of yet (that I'm aware of). Regarding exit 155, I vaguely recall the possibility of something being done at that interchange, but nothing specific. I do know that there is supposed to be a contract out to rehabilitate I-79 from exit 155 to the PA line. It may or may not contain additional work for reconstructing that interchange.

With all the roadway work that is supposed to be started this summer in the Morgantown/Star City area, it is going to be a mess. There will be work on the Star City bridge approaches, widening from the Star City bridge to the Coliseum (to include a center turn lane, sidewalk and bike lane), milling/paving along 705 from the Coliseum to Stewartstown road, Mileground road widening, and rehabilitation of the airport bridge along 857 over I-68. I highly doubt it all gets completed, but if it all gets started, look out.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 PM

219 posts, read 248,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post

milling/paving along 705 from the Coliseum to Stewartstown road,
I thought this was supposed to be a compete concrete roadway replacement? not asphalt

Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 PM

120 posts, read 151,568 times
I mentioned milling and paving because the Patteson Drive section is asphalt. I'm not so sure about the concrete section on that project. At one point I heard all of concrete would be removed and replaced with asphalt. Then it sounded like just the bad joints would be fixed and some of the slabs replaced. I think there is just not enough money in the budget to do everything that, ideally, needs done. A consultant was supposed to be coming up with some plans on how to fix it within the allotted budget. But, regardless of the type of repairs, my point was that it will be a mess.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 PM

I’ll take a construction mess over the current mess of the roads being in an awful state of disrepair. However they should have had everything ready to roll this Monday now that students are gone and summer traffic is pretty much here (minus graduation this week).

Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM

202 posts, read 218,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
I'm talking about the new exit. From what I was told, the roundabout is the issue due to its not being able to handle increased capacity. Yes, it was poor planning/foresight, or maybe it was intentional to get the interchange up and running to start, with the knowledge that a new design would be needed a few years later after the developments on the west side of I-79 took off. That part I don't know. The new I-79 exit being referred to would most likely be in conjunction with the new bridge that will be constructed north of Star City. No official time-frame or location has been determined for those projects as of yet (that I'm aware of). Regarding exit 155, I vaguely recall the possibility of something being done at that interchange, but nothing specific. I do know that there is supposed to be a contract out to rehabilitate I-79 from exit 155 to the PA line. It may or may not contain additional work for reconstructing that interchange.

With all the roadway work that is supposed to be started this summer in the Morgantown/Star City area, it is going to be a mess. There will be work on the Star City bridge approaches, widening from the Star City bridge to the Coliseum (to include a center turn lane, sidewalk and bike lane), milling/paving along 705 from the Coliseum to Stewartstown road, Mileground road widening, and rehabilitation of the airport bridge along 857 over I-68. I highly doubt it all gets completed, but if it all gets started, look out.
Or the fact that the locals revolt at the thought of a roundabout.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Or the fact that the locals revolt at the thought of a roundabout.

Wait until they find out what a diverging diamond is

Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM

"DOH to undertake 143 road projects in Morgantown and Mon County" through 2020.

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/05...nd-mon-county/

All I have to say is, its about $#%&?!@ time and luckily is only the beginning of what is coming (big infrastructure plans are underway).

Old 05-25-2018, 07:48 AM

33 posts, read 28,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
"DOH to undertake 143 road projects in Morgantown and Mon County" through 2020.

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/05...nd-mon-county/

All I have to say is, its about $#%&?!@ time and luckily is only the beginning of what is coming (big infrastructure plans are underway).
It will be really interesting to see how they handle all those businesses along the Mileground. A very much needed project that is finally coming to the region. Also it is about time they do something along that stretch of Mon Blvd to address the dangerous issues with traffic along there. It will be a shame losing that parking along there but well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown