Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM

491 posts, read 610,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
So it's almost July and none of the big road projects have even been started. The one that is to be started next week is the one that needs done the least. Are they planning on waiting until students come back? Less than 2 months now. Lot of good that 100 million road bond is doing on top of all the other highway taxes.
State road doesn't do too many big projects in June due to their FY ending. That's why you always see interstate paving projects etc begin in early July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 04:27 PM

120 posts, read 151,511 times
Contractors can start work prior to July 1st, they just won't get paid until after July 1st.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:35 PM

491 posts, read 610,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Contractors can start work prior to July 1st, they just won't get paid until after July 1st.
I work in a contracting firm. Exactly why no one does it lol

Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 AM

202 posts, read 218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
State road doesn't do too many big projects in June due to their FY ending. That's why you always see interstate paving projects etc begin in early July.
Which I understand, especially as a state employee. So essentially what you are saying is the funds for these projects are part of the appropriation for FY beginning July 1st? I was under the impression that it was part of the current FY budget.

I think this is a case where state rules don't work out well in the real world, much like the state bidding process when buying certain things.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc64 View Post
What projects in town are you talking about? The interstate work was some of the biggest happening this summer if I recall correctly. As for the road bond, those projects are huge projects that take time to develop and not for normal maintenance or city owned roads. The list the city put out is entirely separate from that bond.
I was thinking about the 705 project. As I understand it it, they aren't changing anything with the layout of the road, just repaving.

Just beyond frustrated with Mon County's 3rd world roads.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM

250 posts, read 331,801 times
Quote:
I was thinking about the 705 project. As I understand it it, they aren't changing anything with the layout of the road, just repaving.

Frustrated at a lot in this state. Did you guys see the article about the million dollar spend on office space that was never used and the state had no clue about?

WV MetroNews – State blew chances to stop paying for property it vacated years ago

We shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore. It is no wonder why young people want to move.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM

120 posts, read 151,511 times
Quote:

They are doing more than just paving that road. The plans include diamond grinding and cutting out bad joints and fixing them. That work, of course, will go unappreciated by the public, but it is still needed and still costs a pretty penny. The DOH doesn't have unlimited funds to fix everything. In fact it has one of the lowest budgets in the country yet has to maintain the 6th largest network of roads (by state) in the country. Bonehead Bob Beach called for an audit of District 4, yet it was just audited within the past few years. He and other complainers were invited to a meeting where they got to see a list of all the projects and exactly where all the money was going and how it was being spent. That meeting shut him up pretty quickly. The DOH needs about double its budget to really maintain the roads in District 4, but even if it had that budget, they can't hire enough people to do the work because the pay is so low. The best option looks like raising the gas tax, but who wants to do that? No politician seeking to get elected, that's for sure.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 AM

33 posts, read 28,223 times
This is exactly what is wrong with the state. The general population that has nothing to do with the industry just go about complaining about this and that but have no clue just how bad of shape that the WV DOH currently stands. Yes, there may be several things that they can do that would cut down on costs and make things more efficient but it would still be a sad state of affairs at the DOH. Like you said, the pay is too low, this alone keeps away people when you can do an easier job for the same or better pay. Yet no one wants to see an increase in gas tax and are quick to bash the roads bond because things are not being finished in an instant. I do not work for the DOH but i do believe, atleast in District 4, they are doing the best they can do with exactly what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
They are doing more than just paving that road. The plans include diamond grinding and cutting out bad joints and fixing them. That work, of course, will go unappreciated by the public, but it is still needed and still costs a pretty penny. The DOH doesn't have unlimited funds to fix everything. In fact it has one of the lowest budgets in the country yet has to maintain the 6th largest network of roads (by state) in the country. Bonehead Bob Beach called for an audit of District 4, yet it was just audited within the past few years. He and other complainers were invited to a meeting where they got to see a list of all the projects and exactly where all the money was going and how it was being spent. That meeting shut him up pretty quickly. The DOH needs about double its budget to really maintain the roads in District 4, but even if it had that budget, they can't hire enough people to do the work because the pay is so low. The best option looks like raising the gas tax, but who wants to do that? No politician seeking to get elected, that's for sure.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
I'd be completely fine with a 10-15 cent raise in the gas tax if there was a guarantee that it stayed in the county it was generated in and the state doesn't reduce the appropriations accordingly to then essentially redistribute the extra revenue generated to other counties.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I'd be completely fine with a 10-15 cent raise in the gas tax if there was a guarantee that it stayed in the county it was generated in and the state doesn't reduce the appropriations accordingly to then essentially redistribute the extra revenue generated to other counties.
Pretty much this. I'm probably as right-leaning/conservative a person as you'll find around here, but I'd pay even more than that to have better infrastructure. What I don't want to see are the "road to nowhere" projects that get funded all too often.

I'd like to see a better procurement/bidding process too. The current way doesn't really lead to much savings, and it surely doesn't make anything more efficient. My experience is that state agencies do not do a good job of auditing the prices the state pays for things. I've seen many situations where state entities pay more for something than John Doe off of the street would pay for it, and they never question it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown