Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM

124 posts, read 151,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Do you have a reference for that? Just asking because I think I remember the engineer that retired saying that was the original plan, to grind it down and resurface, but because of budget they were just fixing the joints. If this is the "fix" then we are getting screwed once again.

Just like the interstate leaving town on 79 has seen some shoddy work. Already fixing potholes and replacing entire sections of road (which are paved even worse, they are like launching pads)

Why are these contractors even allowed to have these projects if they can't do a decent job?

I spoke to one of the workers that was in the Sheetz parking lot by the Hospital. He said they are only fixing the joints for now, and if the state has the money, they may go back and try and pave over with a 1.5 inch asphalt coating. He said the joints were worse than they thought, and there are multiple drainage problems under the concrete that cannot be fixed unless the entire concrete is removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:21 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I spoke to one of the workers that was in the Sheetz parking lot by the Hospital. He said they are only fixing the joints for now, and if the state has the money, they may go back and try and pave over with a 1.5 inch asphalt coating. He said the joints were worse than they thought, and there are multiple drainage problems under the concrete that cannot be fixed unless the entire concrete is removed.

/

So they are half @#$&%! it... shocking. That concrete has been there for over 40 years, tear it out completely and correctly put down new concrete and with minimal maintenance you can probably expect another 40 years, yes it'll cost more up front but over the long run it is much cheaper.

Also I am beyond tired of the crap jobs the DOH and state government does here on any infrastructure projects, $&@! them both.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 07-11-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM

202 posts, read 218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
/

So they are half @#$&%! it... shocking. That concrete has been there for over 40 years, tear it out completely and correctly put down new concrete and with minimal maintenance you can probably expect another 40 years, yes it'll cost more up front but over the long run it is much cheaper.

Also I am beyond tired of the crap jobs the DOH and state government does here on any infrastructure projects, $&@! them both.
If it were Lewis, Charleston, or anywhere outside of district 4 they'd do it better (if not 100% right)

To be honest though I did see that they have milled down sections of it the last 2 days. Joints are better now.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM

53 posts, read 52,837 times
Quote:
If it were Lewis, Charleston, or anywhere outside of district 4 they'd do it better (if not 100% right)

To be honest though I did see that they have milled down sections of it the last 2 days. Joints are better now.
I still can't get over the consistent 6-8+ lanes of concrete interstate in southern WV. While those in NCWV typically have to deal with a mere 4 lanes of pavement and on-ramps so short that it's a game of chicken just to get back on the road.

Last edited by maxwell7845; 07-11-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Quote:
/

Is anyone wondering why E. Gordon Gee isn't saying anything about our roads? 705 leads to WVU Hospitals one of our biggest economic drivers. Gee gets everything else he wants so I know he could influence this. He is strangely silent about this issue. Does he even drive anymore? I saw him at Tin 202 a few years ago. I know people see him as "quirky" but I noticed a bit more. He seemed to be easily distracted and not very focused (to be polite about it). Someone at WVU who is "on" 100% of the time needs to jump in and help this road situation.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:01 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Is anyone wondering why E. Gordon Gee isn't saying anything about our roads? 705 leads to WVU Hospitals one of our biggest economic drivers. Gee gets everything else he wants so I know he could influence this. He is strangely silent about this issue. Does he even drive anymore? I saw him at Tin 202 a few years ago. I know people see him as "quirky" but I noticed a bit more. He seemed to be easily distracted and not very focused (to be polite about it). Someone at WVU who is "on" 100% of the time needs to jump in and help this road situation.
I'm not sure why he hasn't spoken out but I imagine behind the scenes he has but he probably knows publicly it wouldn't end well for WVU, but it honestly probably has come to the point where WVU needs to make a stink about this. I'd imagine he knows he only has so much political capitol to spend.

As for if he drives still, two years ago I saw him driving towards downtown campus on university avenue with his now wife but beyond that I have no clue. I do know that 2-3 years ago the business college had brought in a prospective professor that the university really wanted but after him and his wife saw the roads (and part of downtown) they told WVU they were no longer interested in moving here.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Thanks. There is the political capitol situation you pointed out to consider. It just seems they could make a huge stink behind closed doors if they wanted to. They always get WVU sponsored bills through in one session that way. At least the main roads would get priority here if there was an effort on their part.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM

202 posts, read 218,316 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why he hasn't spoken out but I imagine behind the scenes he has but he probably knows publicly it wouldn't end well for WVU, but it honestly probably has come to the point where WVU needs to make a stink about this. I'd imagine he knows he only has so much political capitol to spend.

As for if he drives still, two years ago I saw him driving towards downtown campus on university avenue with his now wife but beyond that I have no clue. I do know that 2-3 years ago the business college had brought in a prospective professor that the university really wanted but after him and his wife saw the roads (and part of downtown) they told WVU they were no longer interested in moving here.
Agree. On the other hand I wish WVU would work towards being as financially indepdent from the state as possible. There are some public schools who get less that 5% funding from their states (or less). I think WVU is 10-15% right now. Be more of a "state-affiliated" school.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 AM

491 posts, read 610,152 times
Quote:
Agree. On the other hand I wish WVU would work towards being as financially indepdent from the state as possible. There are some public schools who get less that 5% funding from their states (or less). I think WVU is 10-15% right now. Be more of a "state-affiliated" school.
Gotta have boosters and philanthropists with deep pockets for that to happen.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM

53 posts, read 52,837 times
Quote:

I remember during the campus carry debate that Gee made a remark about how Marshall University had no where near the economic clout of WVU. While factual, tons of people flipped their lids at that statement, including multiple leaders in the state legislature. I remember seeing them post on Facebook about it. Seemed like overkill for a single sentence, but maybe that was his "clout" points used up for the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown