Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 AM

63 posts, read 63,928 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that the state promised us the 100 million to get us to give a yes vote, and then pulled it, in other words, they lied to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 08:09 AM

202 posts, read 218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Pineview Drive & Valley View Ave were some of the worst in town. Glad they're getting fixed this year.
The end of paving season is getting closer and I've not seen any significant work on Pineview. Unless this project was just the usual rough patch jobs we usually get.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 AM

491 posts, read 610,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
The end of paving season is getting closer and I've not seen any significant work on Pineview. Unless this project was just the usual rough patch jobs we usually get.
Paving seasons can run into November and early December but the crews will have to deal with light and temperature issues. They'll have to sit around until the sun is fully out and the mercury hits about 40 degrees and rising.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM

202 posts, read 218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
I am guessing that the state promised us the 100 million to get us to give a yes vote, and then pulled it, in other words, they lied to us!
It's very possible.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:37 PM

120 posts, read 151,511 times
The government lying to you? Get outta here.

Jim Justice's philosophy is to patch and "paint the roads black." It's a temporary fix that might make people happy in the short-term but won't in the long-term when they see the roads quickly deteriorating again after he's out of office. No real, long-term fixes are being done because that would require tearing up many of our roads and rebuilding them from the base up which might as well cost an infinite amount of money in WV.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Bypass

I’m not asking for the repair of roads, just that they put in the bypass that they promised!

Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
I’m not asking for the repair of roads, just that they put in the bypass that they promised!
Wake up. They are not going to do either anytime soon. They are WAY too behind on maintenance for us to see any real results here and there were never any definitive dates promised for a bypass. Many of us here stated the road bond was a bait and switch farce anyway. We were right. Maintenance (the main problem all along) didn't become a main issue until a year later AFTER they lied and got it passed. Half of the people I know who were dumb enough to vote for it thought it would fix the existing roads anyway. Well, the politicians did try to sell it by saying the road bond would free up funds for maintenance. It did the exact opposite. The increase in license fees are going to pay off the bond debt.

FYI your priorities are really messed up if you think a bypass trumps road maintenance. We only have traffic at peak hours and you can't go anywhere in the country that doesn't have that same issue. If you only drive one hour off peak; say 10am or 6pm there isn't a traffic issue anywhere in Morgantown. A bypass isn't going to help anyway unless you are using it to leave Morgantown. If you actually want to go to a restaurant or shop you won't avoid the inevitable traffic backups.

On the issue of roads and their maintenance we don't even have what any sane person would call roads anymore. Even some of our main roads are worse than old logging roads. Cars were never designed to drive over this mess that has become normalized. I don't know where the heck you are driving that it's not an important issue. I am driving at a snail's pace in many areas and can't keep my car in alignment past 600 miles. That's every other tank of gas that it technically needs another alignment. The only reason I don't have to buy tires every year is I don't go anywhere but work anymore and I have two cars to rotate the wear and damage to.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Here is a an update on a new bridge to I-79 that is in the paper today that some may be interested in. I am assuming this is a different project. There has been so much talk about bridges/bypasses with no clear route identified or agreed on that it is getting very confusing. Last I heard was an idea for a bridge over the Arboretum that was scrapped due to public outcry and WVU being against it.

Also, I never believed the $100 million dollar bypass project being a realistic part of the Road Bond due to; 1) No definitive route was given and there have been no studies done 2) There is no way they can build a 4 lane bypass going that far for $100 million. They missed an opportunity years ago for a West Run bypass so it is what it is.

Regardless, any of this is WAY in the future (if at all) as I previously stated.

(excerpt)

Some other local DOH projects include:

The construction of a new bridge across the Monongahela River accessing I-79.

There is no planned construction timeline as of yet, but according to information provided by Austin, about $1.3 million will be spent on an environmental study beginning in 2021.

That project has a cost estimate of $125 million using federal transportation money, though “We know that price is going to go up,” Austin said.

https://www.dominionpostlive.com/201...for-road-work/

Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Here is a an update on a new bridge to I-79 that is in the paper today that some may be interested in. I am assuming this is a different project. There has been so much talk about bridges/bypasses with no clear route identified or agreed on that it is getting very confusing. Last I heard was an idea for a bridge over the Arboretum that was scrapped due to public outcry and WVU being against it.
The MPO released the alternatives analysis by the consultant (HDR) back in 2017. The study recommended the following alternative:

Quote:
Alternative 12: US 119 (Point Marion) to Van Voorhis/West Run to Collins Ferry +
Connection to New Pursglove Interchange (Figures 4-14/4-15).

This alternative includes a new connection between Van Voorhis/West Run and Collins Ferry Roads with a connection to US 119 (Point Marion Road), a new river crossing to WV 100 and roadway connection to a new I-79 interchange in Pursglove. The connections between Van Voorhis and WV 100, and US 119 to Van Voorhis/West Run are both improved four-lane, 40 mph sections. The new river crossing is a four-lane, 50 mph section, while the new northern interchange connection is a four-lane, 55 mph section.

This alternative also includes an extension of Collins Ferry Road to connect to the new northern bridge crossing as a three-lane, 35 mph roadway and connection to the new northern bridge crossing at WV 100, as well as an improved three-lane Stewartstown Road between WV 705 and US 119 (Point Marion Road). This alternative is expected to impact mostly undeveloped property in northern Morgantown and Pursglove, as well as residential areas along Van Voorhis and West Run Roads. The new bridge crossing to WV 100 will also impact the Monongahela River.

Due to the size and scope of improvements included in this alternative, construction will occur in two phases. Construction Phase 1 includes a new Pursglove interchange, Pursglove connection, northern bridge crossing, and improving Collins Ferry Road and Van Voorhis Road. Construction Phase 2 includes building the US 119 (Point Marion Road) connection.
This is the current working route, although things may change when the environmental analysis is conducted. I doubt we see Phase II for decades (if at all), but Phase I was the project included in the GO Bond measure. Hope that helps.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Default Bypass

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown