Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 09:54 PM

35 posts, read 30,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
There is a mountain of drainage pipe that has appeared on the Mileground in the past few days. I guess they plan on getting the drains/pipework done in the coming weeks.
I too noticed them as I approached the circle the other day.
I also wish they fix the craters in the I-68W entry ramp coming in from the CR 857 bridge over I-68. They just worked on that bridge and really should have re-paved all the entry/exit roads from that bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 04:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,265 times
If anyone is on Facebook and is on the Greater Morgantown page or the rumor mill. Go check out the photos of the I-68 bridge (near the Sabraton exit) that has a hole going completely through the decking. Part of the bridge fell on the road beneath it and you can see the sun through the bridge now. State is doing a bang up job taking care of the infrastructure in this area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8896...1423092571825/

Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
If anyone is on Facebook and is on the Greater Morgantown page or the rumor mill. Go check out the photos of the I-68 bridge (near the Sabraton exit) that has a hole going completely through the decking. Part of the bridge fell on the road beneath it and you can see the sun through the bridge now. State is doing a bang up job taking care of the infrastructure in this area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8896...1423092571825/
The same thing happened in Charleston a couple of weeks ago. It was on the I-64 bridge crossing the Kanawha River right into downtown Charleston (the busiest bridge in the state). It was a big hole that you could see through. They had to close two lanes of the bridge overnight while they made emergency repairs. The big difference between the two incidents is that there was very little risk involved in the Charleston incident from falling debris, since the hole was over the river instead of another roadway.

Sometimes it's kind of scary, but all government contracts go to the low bidder.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,322 times
Here is a news article. https://www.wboy.com/top-stories/pot...-to-shut-down/

I have done more than my fair share of complaining here about this very issue. These I-68 overpasses are ALL in poor condition and were built about the same time. Since they are part of the interstate system the repairs and preventative maintenance are covered by federal funding. There is no excuse for letting it get like this.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:03 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Here is a news article. https://www.wboy.com/top-stories/pot...-to-shut-down/

I have done more than my fair share of complaining here about this very issue. These I-68 overpasses are ALL in poor condition and were built about the same time. Since they are part of the interstate system the repairs and preventative maintenance are covered by federal funding. There is no excuse for letting it get like this.
I don't think the federal government cover 100% of the maintenance costs. Even at 10%, the state share can amount to a lot of money to work into the budget. However, I agree that there is no excuse for so many of these kinds of problems to exist without being addressed already. After all, that's why they do bridge inspections every two years.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't think the federal government cover 100% of the maintenance costs. Even at 10%, the state share can amount to a lot of money to work into the budget. However, I agree that there is no excuse for so many of these kinds of problems to exist without being addressed already. After all, that's why they do bridge inspections every two years.
If someone at WVDOT cared or were on top of things they could apply for emergency funds. Years ago actually. If bridges like this don't qualify not sure what would.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/intmaint.cfm

A few years ago I called our local district's bridge dept. and complained about another I-68 overpass. I was surprised when the bridge engineer from Clarksburg called me back to say he came up to look at it. It's still the same though but I know they are aware.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:24 PM

202 posts, read 218,316 times
Quote:
If someone at WVDOT cared or were on top of things they could apply for emergency funds. Years ago actually. If bridges like this don't qualify not sure what would.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/intmaint.cfm

A few years ago I called our local district's bridge dept. and complained about another I-68 overpass. I was surprised when the bridge engineer from Clarksburg called me back to say he came up to look at it. It's still the same though but I know they are aware.
Well he looked at it at, what else do you want?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Well he looked at it at, what else do you want?
LOL, yeah they can move that one to the "done" pile due to an appearance. The seams are still abysmal 4 years later (they did do some patching about 2 years ago but it only lasted a few months) and there are now triple the amount of holes in the concrete from the time I called.

I don't drive on the overpass pictured but I bet the seams are bad there too and were never properly repaired and sealed either. It's inexcusable to keep letting water in to further degrade the concrete.

Both of the local news channels now have a story on the bridge above so that may help. The DOH seem to respond the quickest after media attention. They finally addressed the water issue on Stewartstown Road near Shorty Anderson's garage after a news story.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 AM

202 posts, read 218,316 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah they can move that one to the "done" pile due to an appearance. The seams are still abysmal 4 years later (they did do some patching about 2 years ago but it only lasted a few months) and there are now triple the amount of holes in the concrete from the time I called.

I don't drive on the overpass pictured but I bet the seams are bad there too and were never properly repaired and sealed either. It's inexcusable to keep letting water in to further degrade the concrete.

Both of the local news channels now have a story on the bridge above so that may help. The DOH seem to respond the quickest after media attention. They finally addressed the water issue on Stewartstown Road near Shorty Anderson's garage after a news story.
They are largely reactive. Proactivity is just not in WV DOH's dna. There are a lot of problem with roads in this state that could be avoided if they'd just keep ditches and drains clear.

I'd be happy to pay more at the pump too in road tax if we could make some progress.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
I-77 bridge over Rt 50 in Parkersburg also had a piece of concrete fall. It did damage a vehicle underneath. Thank goodness for no injuries.

I also saw that a hole developed on I-64 and there is a detour for the next 48 hours to repair the hole.

This is exactly the type of things that happen when we accept all the federal money to build and think we can afford to keep them up. The same thing could easily happen with the road bond projects that are new builds.

We do need to fund the upkeep much better than we have in the past but we all seem to complain with each additional or increased tax. We get what we pay for most of the time.

People complain about public employees but several DOH districts go without workers due to the non-competitive pay scales with private industries. Seems like a little puppy chasing its tail......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown