Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 AM

255 posts, read 388,927 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any further info on this?

https://wvubids.finance.wvu.edu/pdf_...ty%20Study.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,215,548 times
This is needed so badly, hopefully someone has more info. I also hope they make it look like the new building they built on Evansdale, they did a great job on that building, the Mountainlair needs more and better food options (maybe the whole upstairs).

Old 02-08-2016, 01:10 PM

334 posts, read 494,171 times
I truly think something will be done to the Mountainlair soon. Financial Aid use to be located there but they were moved to the Evansdale Crossing recently. The Mountainlair Ballrooms are basically unusable. The renovations from 25 years ago have been outdated.

After the feasibility study is done in the spring I think WVU will hit the ground running regarding renovations as early as this summer. I think it will be a full scale public-private project upwards to 30 million. They need to rebuild it from the ground up. Unfortunately, the Mountainlair will have to be shut down the entire year for the new and improved Lair to be fully complete. Can't wait to see what develops.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
I truly think something will be done to the Mountainlair soon. Financial Aid use to be located there but they were moved to the Evansdale Crossing recently. The Mountainlair Ballrooms are basically unusable. The renovations from 25 years ago have been outdated.

After the feasibility study is done in the spring I think WVU will hit the ground running regarding renovations as early as this summer. I think it will be a full scale public-private project upwards to 30 million. They need to rebuild it from the ground up. Unfortunately, the Mountainlair will have to be shut down the entire year for the new and improved Lair to be fully complete. Can't wait to see what develops.
I cant wait to see it either. In addition to financial aid leaving, they also took the scholarship office and all the other ones located up front. I would love to see the mountianlair get a complete make over and make it a fantastic place again.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:28 PM

632 posts, read 822,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySchaeffer View Post
Is the 'Lair really that outdated? Compared to other student unions it was at the top of the heap in the early 2000s when I attended.
It needs another restaurant or two, a LOT more seating, and the ballrooms need completely redone

Not to mention, it's the centerpiece of campus and needs to stay nice and updated because it's the first place the incoming students go and spend their time

Old 02-14-2016, 02:46 PM

632 posts, read 822,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySchaeffer View Post
Yea, when I was there the university had made some really poor decisions regarding restaurant vendors (Mean Genes... seriously?), but the overall layout was pretty nice. I can't recall very many experiences in the ballrooms outside of one or two political speeches and orientation, so I can't really comment.
The restaurants have improved. Currently a Sbarro, Chick-fil-a, BK, sushi place, Tazikis, and the 6th place was Quiznos but that closed and a Subway was supposed to come in but that hasn't developed for the past 3 years or so for some reason. Plus Hatfields (the cafeteria in the front).

One thing I know has been studied is the option to put a bridge across University Ave straight into the Lair. Making College Ave a dead end was another option to help relieve congestion. I wonder if they are going to tie either one of these into the renovation plans. Something needs done there and might as well do it while the Lair is closed and you're doing construction anyway

Old 02-14-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
The restaurants have improved. Currently a Sbarro, Chick-fil-a, BK, sushi place, Tazikis, and the 6th place was Quiznos but that closed and a Subway was supposed to come in but that hasn't developed for the past 3 years or so for some reason. Plus Hatfields (the cafeteria in the front).

One thing I know has been studied is the option to put a bridge across University Ave straight into the Lair. Making College Ave a dead end was another option to help relieve congestion. I wonder if they are going to tie either one of these into the renovation plans. Something needs done there and might as well do it while the Lair is closed and you're doing construction anyway
Bridge would by far be the best option there. As far subway not moving in, from what I understand, it was going to move in but then the University started kicking around the idea of renovation and decided to not put anyone in until they figured out what they are doing and Im assuming now they just chose to wait until renovation.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:59 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,409,525 times
The MPO has the Grumbein Island analysis on their website (can't link right now). Several alternatives were studied (closure and reroute up Maiden Lane, different types of alignments for a pedestrian bridge or tunnel, and a no-build scenario). The final cost for either elevating the roadway and making a ped tunnel or depressing the roadway and building a ped bridge were both around $10 million. I don't know the current status of the project, though.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM

75 posts, read 117,807 times
http://plantogether.org/Final%20Draf...ns%20Study.pdf

Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 PM

334 posts, read 494,171 times
More in depth from Gee/Schafer regarding this

University looks to renovate Mountainlair - The Daily Athenaeum: News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown