Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,018 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to relocate from Beckley, WV to Morgantown. I've been starting to look at rentals and I'm finding it difficult to find things that are not catered to students, meaning rent being per bedroom. We also have a small dog that is a must to go with us. While we would of course rather a cheaper rent, we understand that we may have to pay more and sacrifice for us to have a dog. We need at least 2 bedrooms. We would prefer to rent a townhouse or a home, but could do a regular complex if needed. Do you all have any suggestions for finding residential rentals vs student rentals? We really appreciate it!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM

890 posts, read 1,052,362 times
the pets thing is gonna be your biggest issue, but my advice is dont automatically cross off a listing if it says no pets....Me and my wife found a place we liked but no pets allowed, but once we sat down with the landlord for awhile she agreed to an extra pet deposit of $100....alot of the places that do allow pets, like complexes, will want a $300-500 Pet Deposit.....but anyway, only other thing I can say is me and my wife just used the Dominion Post, (Thedpost.com) Craigslist and Apartments.com.......

Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,225,959 times
There are a good amount of townhomes owned by Realestate agents and companies in new Dan Ryan townhouse communities. They are for rent and regularly show up on apartments.com and zillow.com

Townhomes For Rent in Morgantown WV - 28 Rentals | Zillow

Metro also has a couple of communities that are meant for families only or families and graduate students with families.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:22 AM

19 posts, read 32,551 times
Pinnacle Heights has 2 BR and $50/mo pet fee. There is a mix of student/non-student living here. Carol's phone is 1-304-692-6694. They go fast though and the semester is coming to an end for the students living here. There is a website too.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:21 PM

203 posts, read 152,939 times
Rent here is higher than in Washington DC and rentals are very few.
We were shocked by not being able to find ANYTHING when we came here last year and spent 5 DAYS trying to find a decent clean place close to hospitals. That just does not exist in Morgantown. There are literally dumps for rent stipulating "no pets". The reason being that owners do nothing between renters and do not want to do anything they don't have to. There are townhomes here that are hard to get to (especially newer ones in Cheat Lake built high up on a hill with a 45 degree vertical incline leading up to the development). The town is very hilly and roads are in pretty bad shape during snowfalls. Narrow, windy, lots of potholes that never get patched up. You can rent an apartment in one of the complexes near the hospitals, but those are so so. There is a new townhome complex by Dan Ryan near the hospital where lots of professionals and foreign students rent (many units are owned by investors), but rent there is steep and rental terms are draconian. I don't know what your employment situation is, but cost of living in Morgantown is high. Heating is electric in most if not all the townhomes, and thus not at all efficient, which translates into a very high bill. Quality of townhome construction is low, they are cold in winter and hot in summer, being built extremely quickly. Residential homes for rent that we looked at were horrible. Dirty, filthy, old. You will find no home rentals in Morgantown. The other bizarre thing we experienced here is that nothing is ever advertised on zillow or realtor.com The demand for rentals is so high that all that's needed is one ad on craigslist or a word of mouth and a decent place is gone in less than 24 hrs. You will practically have to drive around looking for "For Rent" signs. Unless you have a very good job lined up or some kind of other great opportunity I would avoid Morgantown and would not just "relocate".

Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
Rent here is higher than in Washington DC and rentals are very few.
We were shocked by not being able to find ANYTHING when we came here last year and spent 5 DAYS trying to find a decent clean place close to hospitals. That just does not exist in Morgantown. There are literally dumps for rent stipulating "no pets". The reason being that owners do nothing between renters and do not want to do anything they don't have to. There are townhomes here that are hard to get to (especially newer ones in Cheat Lake built high up on a hill with a 45 degree vertical incline leading up to the development). The town is very hilly and roads are in pretty bad shape during snowfalls. Narrow, windy, lots of potholes that never get patched up. You can rent an apartment in one of the complexes near the hospitals, but those are so so. There is a new townhome complex by Dan Ryan near the hospital where lots of professionals and foreign students rent (many units are owned by investors), but rent there is steep and rental terms are draconian. I don't know what your employment situation is, but cost of living in Morgantown is high. Heating is electric in most if not all the townhomes, and thus not at all efficient, which translates into a very high bill. Quality of townhome construction is low, they are cold in winter and hot in summer, being built extremely quickly. Residential homes for rent that we looked at were horrible. Dirty, filthy, old. You will find no home rentals in Morgantown. The other bizarre thing we experienced here is that nothing is ever advertised on zillow or realtor.com The demand for rentals is so high that all that's needed is one ad on craigslist or a word of mouth and a decent place is gone in less than 24 hrs. You will practically have to drive around looking for "For Rent" signs. Unless you have a very good job lined up or some kind of other great opportunity I would avoid Morgantown and would not just "relocate".
whoa, Im not a fan of Morgantown either but damn......Gotta disagree with the electric thing though, me and my wife's electric bill is only right around $40/mo, we have those weird floorboard heaters...our bill is actually slightly higher in the summertime with those dumb window a/c units...but it only goes up to around $50/mo......I love Texas where Im from, but in the Summers there you can have $150-$200/mo electric bills with central a/c......

Old 05-01-2016, 11:56 AM

456 posts, read 601,999 times
kitty is obviously a person that goes on sites or particular sites to give misinformation on things or areas they don't like. Morgantown rent is high!!!! It's a major college town. most college town are expensive. I have relatives that live in Washington and in a nice area rent would be double to triple Morgantown. Washington is in all lists of top 10 rents in the country. you can go on many sites and compare. Washington is 1700-2500 a month for a one bedroom. Morgantown is 500-800. big difference.Like colt said electric and most utilities are cheaper here then many areas. I have lived in a lot of places and most bills are a lot more expensive elsewhere. colt you did good for electric in texas my electric for 4 bedroom house was 200-400 a month in summer in Dallas. Housing is cheaper in Dallas for the most parts but rentals there for 1 bedroom run 800-1100 last I checked. All areas have there good and bad aspects and you have to weigh your options when moving. good luck in your housing hunt and remember if you are willing to drive 15-30 minutes rents are a lot cheaper anywhere.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
whoa, Im not a fan of Morgantown either but damn......Gotta disagree with the electric thing though, me and my wife's electric bill is only right around $40/mo, we have those weird floorboard heaters...our bill is actually slightly higher in the summertime with those dumb window a/c units...but it only goes up to around $50/mo......I love Texas where Im from, but in the Summers there you can have $150-$200/mo electric bills with central a/c......
We are in a 2000 sq ft three level townhome new construction and this January our electric bill was $360 with thermostat set at 68F which was not even comfortable. Freezing lower level, had to use a space heater there and so so on a mid level. Construction quality is poor. All of our neighbors had purchased extra heater because it is impossible to heat these places with an electric unit. There are no electric floorboards where we are.
$40 a month in winter - I do not believe it even if you live in a studio apartment. We had a $150-200 electric bill here last summer as well. And we lived in the south before as well.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
kitty is obviously a person that goes on sites or particular sites to give misinformation on things or areas they don't like. Morgantown rent is high!!!! It's a major college town. most college town are expensive. I have relatives that live in Washington and in a nice area rent would be double to triple Morgantown. Washington is in all lists of top 10 rents in the country. you can go on many sites and compare. Washington is 1700-2500 a month for a one bedroom. Morgantown is 500-800. big difference.Like colt said electric and most utilities are cheaper here then many areas. I have lived in a lot of places and most bills are a lot more expensive elsewhere. colt you did good for electric in texas my electric for 4 bedroom house was 200-400 a month in summer in Dallas. Housing is cheaper in Dallas for the most parts but rentals there for 1 bedroom run 800-1100 last I checked. All areas have there good and bad aspects and you have to weigh your options when moving. good luck in your housing hunt and remember if you are willing to drive 15-30 minutes rents are a lot cheaper anywhere.
We pay as much for a townhome in Morgantown as my friend does in Germantown MD (outside DC).
Whatever rents for 500-800 in Morgantown - I am sorry but you wouldn't want to even set foot there. But feel free to check for yourself. Yes college towns are expensive but we are talking here about rent for non college population. Renting anything for a family is outrageously expensive and low quality is all I have to say.
And as I said driving 15-30 minutes is Morgantown can be a disaster. Roads are not maintained in good condition and those rental townhomes in Cheatlake are a challenge to get to in winter times. People are slipping and sliding I suppose to get in and out of their developments. Just take a look at a subdivision up on the steep hill off of Cheat Rd (on the left as you drive towards the bridge). Beats me how people get in and out of there in slippery conditions. And that's how things are built here. And did I say traffic? for a small town traffic is horrible.
Just to "relocate" - wouldn't do that. You have to have a great job first.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
We are in a 2000 sq ft three level townhome new construction and this January our electric bill was $360 with thermostat set at 68F which was not even comfortable. Freezing lower level, had to use a space heater there and so so on a mid level. Construction quality is poor. All of our neighbors had purchased extra heater because it is impossible to heat these places with an electric unit. There are no electric floorboards where we are.
$40 a month in winter - I do not believe it even if you live in a studio apartment. We had a $150-200 electric bill here last summer as well. And we lived in the south before as well.
Everyone I talked to said those old floorboard heaters are supposedly expensive, but again, $40, I dont care what you believe or not.....Although I will say since it wasnt so bad of a winter (and Im a Texan) we didnt have the heat on 24/7 either, and we do live in an apartment, albeit a normal sized 2 bedroom, not a studio.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown