Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:16 AM

334 posts, read 495,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiega View Post
Hello!
I would like to ask to those who live in Morgantown some basic infomation.
Mes and my spouse next month are moving to Morgantown from another country.
1. Housing issue is the first - which pages is it possible to visit to search for a housing? So far we used zillow, craigslist, apartments.com. Is there any other option we could use? If you know someone renting 1 bedroom apartment I would really appreciate it. Our budget would be 1000$ (utilities incuded).
2. Safe/not so safe neighbourhood?
3. How much you pay for the food per month? I know it is very different but maybe you could share your experience.
Thanks in advance!
1. Craigslist is usually the way to good. Suncrest Neighborhood (705) is your best bet.

2. Suncrest is safe. The whole town is safe during the summer. Avoid Dorsey/Sabraton/Star City as drug activity (heroin) is usually prevalent there.

3. Depends on where you go. Kroger has usually good value. Giant Eagle can be VERY expensive. Farmers Market (downtown on Saturday) and Mountain People's Co-Op (also downtown) has variety as well.

Quote:
It is true that Internet, cable from our perspective is extremely expensive. In my country you can get very speedy Internet + cable for 15 Eur (but do not forget we have pretty low salaries). So you can really fell the difference. And different kind of services also is extremely expensive - the difference sometimes is 5-7 times than in my country.
Basically it's Concast or nothing. There's usually a good special for 1 year but it gets expensive from there. Their customer service is awful to put it nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 AM

263 posts, read 230,713 times
dubvlandlords.com

Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM

83 posts, read 100,184 times
If you live within the Morgantown City Limits then there are some fairly burdensome building codes which is important if you plan to do any construction. There are either no or limited building codes outside of city limits but in that case you really have to keep an eye on your builder to avoid shoddy/dangerous work and there are some builders who will definitely take advantage of the lack of building codes to get away with anything.

Since no one else has mentioned it, the housing prices are pretty out of whack with the rest of the country. A friend of mine who was considering moving from NYC to Morgantown complained about the housing prices. His issue was not so much about the prices being higher but what you get for your money.

Some people have mentioned the Suncrest area. Some of the homes there are small and were built between 1930 - 1940. It's not unusual for people to spend $200,000 - $300,000 for an older home only to have it demolished to build something newer. There are some vacant lots where older homes have been demolished and are going for around $200,000 for a 1/4 acre.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 AM

83 posts, read 100,184 times
BTW if you are looking to rent you need to be wary of some of the landlords here. I think things are getting better in that regard but not too long ago it was certainly a buyer beware situation. There are many ethical landlords but others certainly take liberties with the codes.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Thank you for the valuable information!
We come from Europe - poorer part of it.
It is true that Internet, cable from our perspective is extremely expensive. In my country you can get very speedy Internet + cable for 15 Eur (but do not forget we have pretty low salaries). So you can really fell the difference. And different kind of services also is extremely expensive - the difference sometimes is 5-7 times than in my country.
I lived in Europe for several years, and have family members living there now. It is true that some things are cheaper there than here, but one thing you will likely notice is our taxes are far lower than what you are used to paying there. Many European countries subsidize some services making them cheaper, but they do it with tax money which in the end makes it more expensive. You aren't likely to be paying half your money out in taxes here.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
dubvlandlords.com
I've tried this, thanks. I spend an hours in search for the apartment but since we cannot call and come not many are interested.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I lived in Europe for several years, and have family members living there now. It is true that some things are cheaper there than here, but one thing you will likely notice is our taxes are far lower than what you are used to paying there. Many European countries subsidize some services making them cheaper, but they do it with tax money which in the end makes it more expensive. You aren't likely to be paying half your money out in taxes here.
Trues. Well, most of tax for services etc. is 21%, so imagine.... Also for food. Reduced tax is for medicine, some books, etc.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Thank you for the valuable information!
We come from Europe - poorer part of it.

Tiega- Good luck on your move. We hope you will enjoy living in West Virginia and that you have a chance to explore our country. Best wishes and welcome to the USA.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
Tiega- Good luck on your move. We hope you will enjoy living in West Virginia and that you have a chance to explore our country. Best wishes and welcome to the USA.
Thank you! This is very welcoming!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
Default move to morgantown?

I am professional woman past midllife. Looking at possible move to Morgantown. Seems like good outdoor activities in summer but not much to do in winter. ANy info on the social climate for older folks? I have a nephew in Ohio who says it is the "white trash" capital. I did eat at two really good restaurants there and the U has a great pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown