Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 05:49 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadFour View Post
Sooo...
I went to look at Timberline Apartments and picked up an application last week when I stopped in MoTown on my way back from Maryland.

Actually had a chance to properly drive through the City and look around, it seems pretty nice, Morgantown does.

I'm gonna be back up there this Saturday for a job interview, and I'm gonna spend the whole day in Morgantown, and try to look at some other apartments too.

Any suggestions, besides looking at apartments, for interesting things to do in town while I am in the area?
If you like the outdoors the rail trail is pretty nice, but its supposed to rain. This weekend is also graduation weekend so the traffic is going to be horrible and the restaurants will be majorly packed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM

91 posts, read 135,182 times
So it has been a few months since my last post, and my needs have changed.

I may be moving with my GF and her 2 kids(7 and 4). She wants to move to Hagerstown, MD (really she just wants to move out of WV), but I am gonna try to sell her on Morgantown as I feel it might be a better city to live in overall.

For some reason every time I consider moving, I am drawn to Morgantown.

Anyhow, is it at all possible to get a 3 BR for less than 1000 a month in the area? Or might we be looking at a 2br and having the kids share a room for a year or so?

Also, I'm assuming that due to WVU being there, the quslity of the Public Schools would generally be higher than in Hagerstown?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
So it has been a few months since my last post, and my needs have changed.

I may be moving with my GF and her 2 kids(7 and 4). She wants to move to Hagerstown, MD (really she just wants to move out of WV), but I am gonna try to sell her on Morgantown as I feel it might be a better city to live in overall.

For some reason every time I consider moving, I am drawn to Morgantown.

Anyhow, is it at all possible to get a 3 BR for less than 1000 a month in the area? Or might we be looking at a 2br and having the kids share a room for a year or so?

Also, I'm assuming that due to WVU being there, the quslity of the Public Schools would generally be higher than in Hagerstown?
If she is an outdoor lover you could show her this: The Top 10 Affordable Morgantown is number 3 on that list.

I used to live just over the border from Hagerstown in Falling Waters, WV. Hagerstown is a growing area just like the Martinsburg area and like the Morgantown area, and it was nice while I lived there, but I am SOOOOO happy to have moved away from that area and moved to Morgantown. First off, Maryland is expensive and their laws for a lot of things are just awful. If I was forced to move back to that area (yes I would have to be forced), I would not live in Hagerstown itself. That whole area has major drug issues, yes the Morgantown area has drug issues (nothing like Charleston and Huntington) but the Hagerstown to Martinsburg area has a major problem. It really is sad. That areas saving graces are that it is somewhat close to DC (main reason a lot of people live in that area), has the C & O canal (which is an amazing "rail trail" type of trail) and is close to Antietam.

Regarding schools, Hagerstown's schools are not very good, especially when compared to the other schools in Maryland. North high and South high have a couple areas they do very well in, but overall I have never heard anything good about them. The other high school, Williamsport High (just outside of Hagerstown) was known as pregnancy high for the state of Maryland.

Morgantown has some of the best schools in the state of WV, that doesn't mean much in some cases, but they overall are pretty good schools. Morgantown high particularly was graded as the best high school in the state last year.

If she MUST move out of WV, I honestly would look at Frederick, MD if it has to be MD. The schools are much better than Hagerstown, the area is much nicer than Hagerstown, the downtown is much nicer than Hagerstown (it is a great downtown), and there is a LOT more to do there than Hagerstown. You can get city life or country life within a 20 minute drive in the Frederick area, plus it has a Wegmans. Only downside there compared to Hagerstown is it can be a little more expensive and that the traffic in Frederick is a lot worse during rush hour on the highway.

Good luck convincing your girlfriend to move to Morgantown. Yes it has its problems, but it is rapidly changing for the better and the growth going on here and in NCWV in general is just amazing. Overall, it is a great area to live and culturally is a much different area than the southern part of the state (not saying that in a negative way, but just as a stated fact).

Regarding housing, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and pay $725 a month plus water and sewer (about $45 every two months) plus electricity (about $80 every month) and plus cable/internet (unfortunately it is Comcast, but they offer very fast speeds in this area). It's not a large apartment, add in two kids and it would be extremely cramped, but there are some three bedroom apartment/townhouses/houses available around $1000-1200. Here is one https://www.apartments.com/457-grove...wn-wv/k0t5n19/

Here is another place, $1,025 for a three bedroom two bath, it is over by cheat lake (about a 8-15 minute drive to town without traffic), includes water and trash. https://www.apartments.com/lakeside-...wn-wv/ckr532e/

$1000 is on the lower end, but the farther from town the cheaper it is. There are some newer townhomes in Westover (just over the river from Morgantown) that some realtors bought up that I've seen being rented for around $1100 to $1200. If you look hard enough you will find a nice place in your budget, but be prepared to act fast. There are some houses in your price range that are just out of town.

Good luck deciding where to move!

Edit: One other thought, if healthcare is important, both Hagerstown and Frederick kind of lack on quality hospitals. FMH in Frederick is acceptable but at least the last time I've heard about how they are doing, they wouldn't be a hospital I'd trust to do much more than basic things, same goes for the newer hospital built in Hagerstown. Morgantown definitely wins on quality of healthcare without a doubt (it's not even close).

Last edited by WVUmatt; 07-24-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
If she is an outdoor lover you could show her this: The Top 10 Affordable Morgantown is number 3 on that list.

I used to live just over the border from Hagerstown in Falling Waters, WV. Hagerstown is a growing area just like the Martinsburg area and like the Morgantown area, and it was nice while I lived there, but I am SOOOOO happy to have moved away from that area and moved to Morgantown. First off, Maryland is expensive and their laws for a lot of things are just awful. If I was forced to move back to that area (yes I would have to be forced), I would not live in Hagerstown itself. That whole area has major drug issues, yes the Morgantown area has drug issues (nothing like Charleston and Huntington) but the Hagerstown to Martinsburg area has a major problem. It really is sad. That areas saving graces are that it is somewhat close to DC (main reason a lot of people live in that area), has the C & O canal (which is an amazing "rail trail" type of trail) and is close to Antietam.

Regarding schools, Hagerstown's schools are not very good, especially when compared to the other schools in Maryland. North high and South high have a couple areas they do very well in, but overall I have never heard anything good about them. The other high school, Williamsport High (just outside of Hagerstown) was known as pregnancy high for the state of Maryland.

Morgantown has some of the best schools in the state of WV, that doesn't mean much in some cases, but they overall are pretty good schools. Morgantown high particularly was graded as the best high school in the state last year.

If she MUST move out of WV, I honestly would look at Frederick, MD if it has to be MD. The schools are much better than Hagerstown, the area is much nicer than Hagerstown, the downtown is much nicer than Hagerstown (it is a great downtown), and there is a LOT more to do there than Hagerstown. You can get city life or country life within a 20 minute drive in the Frederick area, plus it has a Wegmans. Only downside there compared to Hagerstown is it can be a little more expensive and that the traffic in Frederick is a lot worse during rush hour on the highway.

Good luck convincing your girlfriend to move to Morgantown. Yes it has its problems, but it is rapidly changing for the better and the growth going on here and in NCWV in general is just amazing. Overall, it is a great area to live and culturally is a much different area than the southern part of the state (not saying that in a negative way, but just as a stated fact).

Regarding housing, I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and pay $725 a month plus water and sewer (about $45 every two months) plus electricity (about $80 every month) and plus cable/internet (unfortunately it is Comcast, but they offer very fast speeds in this area). It's not a large apartment, add in two kids and it would be extremely cramped, but there are some three bedroom apartment/townhouses/houses available around $1000-1200. Here is one https://www.apartments.com/457-grove...wn-wv/k0t5n19/

Here is another place, $1,025 for a three bedroom two bath, it is over by cheat lake (about a 8-15 minute drive to town without traffic), includes water and trash. https://www.apartments.com/lakeside-...wn-wv/ckr532e/

$1000 is on the lower end, but the farther from town the cheaper it is. There are some newer townhomes in Westover (just over the river from Morgantown) that some realtors bought up that I've seen being rented for around $1100 to $1200. If you look hard enough you will find a nice place in your budget, but be prepared to act fast. There are some houses in your price range that are just out of town.

Good luck deciding where to move!

Edit: One other thought, if healthcare is important, both Hagerstown and Frederick kind of lack on quality hospitals. FMH in Frederick is acceptable but at least the last time I've heard about how they are doing, they wouldn't be a hospital I'd trust to do much more than basic things, same goes for the newer hospital built in Hagerstown. Morgantown definitely wins on quality of healthcare without a doubt (it's not even close).
Yeah, but it would be very hard to find a 3br in Frederick at that price point. Maybe not possible....

As you say "Maryland is expensive," and the cost increases as you get closer to D.C. and Baltimore. A lot of people who work in Frederick can't afford to live there and move to Hagerstown instead. Why? Because people who work in Gaithersburg and Rockville move to Frederick because it is cheaper there. Why? Because people who work in D.C. can't afford to live there and move out to Rockville.

That pattern shuts down once you hit Hagerstown. That market draws in workers from Berkeley Co., WV and Franklin Co., PA., which means the cheapest place on OP's map is probably Cumberland. There would be no problem getting a 3br house in a descent neighborhood to rent for about 1k a month. Finding a job is the hard part.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, but it would be very hard to find a 3br in Frederick at that price point. Maybe not possible....

As you say "Maryland is expensive," and the cost increases as you get closer to D.C. and Baltimore. A lot of people who work in Frederick can't afford to live there and move to Hagerstown instead. Why? Because people who work in Gaithersburg and Rockville move to Frederick because it is cheaper there. Why? Because people who work in D.C. can't afford to live there and move out to Rockville.

That pattern shuts down once you hit Hagerstown. That market draws in workers from Berkeley Co., WV and Franklin Co., PA., which means the cheapest place on OP's map is probably Cumberland. There would be no problem getting a 3br house in a descent neighborhood to rent for about 1k a month. Finding a job is the hard part.
Finding a job would be hard in Cumberland, but it is only an hour from Morgantown and we do have jobs here. If you are used to big city commutes, and hour is a walk in the park, and depending on the skill set, some of the available jobs pay well. They are actually giving a $10,000 up front bonus for Registered Nurses in North Central WV now, and our medical community is in great need of trained workers due to expansion. Frostburg is a nice little town with a college located in it, and it is closer still to Morgantown, and not far from beautiful Deep Creek. The only problem is you need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to deal with the mountains in the Winter.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM

91 posts, read 135,182 times
So, Update.

Did a daytrip to MoTown today. Me, my GF, and her 2 kids.

They enjoyed it, and she is pretty sold on the City now. I went back to Timberline Apartments with them in tow and we looked at a 3BR 2 Bath apartment that runs $850 a month(great price, honestly.). I believe Timberline is in Star City or Suncrest?? Are those City neighborhoods, or actual cities themselves?

Anyway, Its a really nice apartment, it isnt too far from anything but it is not really close to the couch-burning college students either. At least i think so. The complex seems pretty safe and peaceful. It is like 15 minutes from where I'd be working (Best Buy), and literally right next door to what seems like a really nice school (Suncrest Elementary). The school looks brand new.

I couldn't even get her to look at another apartment all day. She wants that 3br 2Bath, BAD.

We also went down to Cheat Lake to just stand by the water and watch the boats, the area is gorgeous. Beyond that we basically just drove around the City and surrounding area and explored.

Looks like the plan is to put in our application for Timberline, save up the money and move to Morgantown in October. Perhaps sooner if we can get the money together faster.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 PM

273 posts, read 382,070 times
Quote:
So, Update.

Did a daytrip to MoTown today. Me, my GF, and her 2 kids.

They enjoyed it, and she is pretty sold on the City now. I went back to Timberline Apartments with them in tow and we looked at a 3BR 2 Bath apartment that runs $850 a month(great price, honestly.). I believe Timberline is in Star City or Suncrest?? Are those City neighborhoods, or actual cities themselves?

Anyway, Its a really nice apartment, it isnt too far from anything but it is not really close to the couch-burning college students either. At least i think so. The complex seems pretty safe and peaceful. It is like 15 minutes from where I'd be working (Best Buy), and literally right next door to what seems like a really nice school (Suncrest Elementary). The school looks brand new.

I couldn't even get her to look at another apartment all day. She wants that 3br 2Bath, BAD.

We also went down to Cheat Lake to just stand by the water and watch the boats, the area is gorgeous. Beyond that we basically just drove around the City and surrounding area and explored.

Looks like the plan is to put in our application for Timberline, save up the money and move to Morgantown in October. Perhaps sooner if we can get the money together faster.
I have a few friends that have lived in Timberline over the years. It's certainly somewhere I'd consider living if I needed to. My friends have never had any big complaints about the Timberline Management and they do a decent job maintaining the place. Suncrest Elementary is a great school. It's brand new, too. I think you guys will enjoy yourselves.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Default 35 Unit Senior Complex Construction is Back Up and Running

The new complex by the Seneca Center on Beechurst has workers busy again with the break in the weather.

The Dominion Post - Senior complex back on construction schedule

Old 03-23-2024, 05:57 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniGirl40 View Post
I'm giving SERIOUS thought to having a tiny house built. I need to find a piece of land, under an acre, to park it on. I would like to stay close to Morgantown where I work. I also want to be on the grid with water & electric. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I see this woman hasn't been on CD for 8 yrs., but I just have to vent about peeps who come on a thread and hijack it for their own unrelated questions or comments. I was here looking for legitimate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown