Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
Sears Holdings has just announced another bunch of store closings, mostly K-Marts but some Sears stores. As far as I could see none of them are in WV but I would think it is only a matter of time until the Morgantown Sears shuts down.
I think the only reason it is still open is because they closed the Uniontown and the Clarksburg/Bridgeport ones down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Very possibly true. They are the last one remaining in the region.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:21 AM

It looks as if construction on the 55+ community living place on the river front at Seneca Center has started construction. There is a chain link fence around the right side of the building (non historic side) and it looks like they are starting to gut the building in preparation for it to be torn down.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM

113 posts, read 147,888 times
They're putting a senior living center in Sunnyside? How does that make any sense? College parties next to a retirement home. I can only imagine the 911 calls for noise complaints...

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
They're putting a senior living center in Sunnyside? How does that make any sense? College parties next to a retirement home. I can only imagine the 911 calls for noise complaints...
It's down in the Seneca Center so it'll be quieter over there (other than the hum from the power plant). It is 55+ apartments, but not a retirement home. It fits in with the plan of making that area of Sunnyside a mixed social (recent college grads, families, retired people) and economic living area, this is the first of many non student apartment complexes apparently. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. Supposedly a Target Express is looking at building eventually in the general area.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 AM

I believe this is a great idea. It helps bring residents within city limits, and the interaction of folks of different ages would be good for both groups. I'm thinking the Hill and Hollow Restaurant will be remaining there too, making for a convenient spot for the older folks to hang out.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 AM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
It's down in the Seneca Center so it'll be quieter over there (other than the hum from the power plant). It is 55+ apartments, but not a retirement home. It fits in with the plan of making that area of Sunnyside a mixed social (recent college grads, families, retired people) and economic living area, this is the first of many non student apartment complexes apparently. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. Supposedly a Target Express is looking at building eventually in the general area.
As a 55+ I am undecided about this project. I love the idea (and yes 55+ does not mean retirement). Many people in that group are still working and very active but they may no longer want/need a big house. They have raised their kids and mowed way too many lawns and are ready to downsize. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the location. It has the advantage of being near the rail trail and if the Target Express should build near there that would be great.

Morgantown desperately needs more affordable, non-student housing, not just for 55+ but for families.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
As a 55+ I am undecided about this project. I love the idea (and yes 55+ does not mean retirement). Many people in that group are still working and very active but they may no longer want/need a big house. They have raised their kids and mowed way too many lawns and are ready to downsize. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the location. It has the advantage of being near the rail trail and if the Target Express should build near there that would be great.

Morgantown desperately needs more affordable, non-student housing, not just for 55+ but for families.
That is being built. Unfortunately, it is not within the city limits, like the majority of the other developments. The county is growing quickly. The city, not so much.

The city has indicated a willingness to work at developing it's riverfront assets, and now that there is a new city council, the county seems willing to help them do it. The University also wants the riverfront developed, and has indicated that they will do their part too. During the next decade, the Mon River in Morgantown will be developing a new look and purpose. Unfortunately, The University's power/steam plant is likely to remain in place. That is a blemish, but at least it is not a loud one and doesn't produce much in the way of pollution.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM

273 posts, read 382,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is being built. Unfortunately, it is not within the city limits, like the majority of the other developments. The county is growing quickly. The city, not so much.

The city has indicated a willingness to work at developing it's riverfront assets, and now that there is a new city council, the county seems willing to help them do it. The University also wants the riverfront developed, and has indicated that they will do their part too. During the next decade, the Mon River in Morgantown will be developing a new look and purpose. Unfortunately, The University's power/steam plant is likely to remain in place. That is a blemish, but at least it is not a loud one and doesn't produce much in the way of pollution.
I'm really excited to have a riverfront that isn't delapidated former industrial. It's a slow transition, but it seems to be gaining momentum.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM

124 posts, read 151,327 times
Interesting that WVU wants the Beechurst power plant eventually shut down. However, back in the late 80's and early 90's they were the ones that secretly pushed the city to allow it so steam could be used to heat and cool buildings. Several major developers have supposedly walked away from recent riverfront development because of the power plant and Greer loading docks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown