Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times

Advertisements

Thanks to a levy passed by Mon County voters, Mountain Line Transit is now greatly expanding service to include service to the western end of the county and Mylan Park, as well as expanded service to Morgantown Mall. More than 2 million riders per year use public transit in Mon County counting Mountain Line and the PRT. Even more will be doing so now that the new areas are being serviced.

Mountain Line Transit Announces Bus Service Expansions | City of Morgantown, WV official website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,362 times
Always good to read about stuff like this...I never have or plan to use the Mountain Line, but its nice to have the option if needed....

Old 08-13-2016, 10:15 PM

255 posts, read 390,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Always good to read about stuff like this...I never have or plan to use the Mountain Line, but its nice to have the option if needed....
We went for about two years living in Morgantown without a car years ago. We walked a lot, took taxis a very few times and rode the bus a lot. It wasn't easy; a lot of places were hard to get to and carrying groceries and other shopping on the bus was not fun but we were glad it was available. I'm happy to see they are expanding.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-11-2017 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 08-14-2016, 06:29 AM

273 posts, read 381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Thanks to a levy passed by Mon County voters, Mountain Line Transit is now greatly expanding service to include service to the western end of the county and Mylan Park, as well as expanded service to Morgantown Mall. More than 2 million riders per year use public transit in Mon County counting Mountain Line and the PRT. Even more will be doing so now that the new areas are being serviced.

Mountain Line Transit Announces Bus Service Expansions | City of Morgantown, WV official website
The westernmost point they're expanding to is Mylan Park or the Gateway. That's not the western end of the county. I hate when people describe that as the western end of the county. There's another 25 or 30 miles left in Mon County. Saying that's the western end of the county is akin to calling Osage the eastern end of the county.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:48 AM

632 posts, read 830,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
The westernmost point they're expanding to is Mylan Park or the Gateway. That's not the western end of the county. I hate when people describe that as the western end of the county. There's another 25 or 30 miles left in Mon County. Saying that's the western end of the county is akin to calling Osage the eastern end of the county.
Population in Mon county is greatly centralized around Morgantown. There is no town of any significance in the western portion. Blacksville is the biggest "town" in the western half and it only has 171 people. So considering Mylan Park or Cassville as "western Mon" does not bother me in the slightest

Old 08-15-2016, 08:32 AM

75 posts, read 91,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Population in Mon county is greatly centralized around Morgantown. There is no town of any significance in the western portion. Blacksville is the biggest "town" in the western half and it only has 171 people. So considering Mylan Park or Cassville as "western Mon" does not bother me in the slightest
Good point.

Expanding service into the true western portion of Mon County would be a drain of money and resources just to service potentially, what, 100 people?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
Well, you're right. It is not the true western end of the county, but it is as far west as Mt. Morris so I hope it doesn't bother you that much. There are a couple great things about the Blacksville area... there is a nice golf course there and also a terrific German restaurant, but considering the sparse population there bus service is not likely to extend to that location.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownRes View Post
Good point.

Expanding service into the true western portion of Mon County would be a drain of money and resources just to service potentially, what, 100 people?
More than 100 people but clearly not enough to merit bus service. I do think they should swing up to Mt. Morris though. I'm sure that would require an additional permit from PA.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,362 times
I think they need to make a route that kinda "circles" Morgantown, like say, starts at UTC, gets on 79 and stops at the Westover BFS or maybe the Mall on the other side instead. Gets back on 79 into 68 and stops at the Hornbeck Walmart, back on 68 and stops in Sabraton, Sheetz maybe?. Back on 68 to the Glenmark Center, onto the Mileground and 705, Patteson Drive, Etc. and back to the UTC......That one route would probably take 2 hrs to complete, but would cover alot of major points in one route, eliminating the need for connecting....

Old 08-15-2016, 04:02 PM

273 posts, read 381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, you're right. It is not the true western end of the county, but it is as far west as Mt. Morris so I hope it doesn't bother you that much. There are a couple great things about the Blacksville area... there is a nice golf course there and also a terrific German restaurant, but considering the sparse population there bus service is not likely to extend to that location.
There's neither a golf course not a German restaurant anymore. I think the restaurant was last open in 2014 and the golf course spring of 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown