Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:54 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
Old buildings that sit empty detetiorate quicker than most people realize. I would not be surprised if that building is not full of mold and in complete disrepair. When did the shop and save close up? 15-20 years ago?
7-ish. I know they were still open through 2009 and *think* they had a few years after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 01:37 PM

19 posts, read 15,692 times
Quote:
Old buildings that sit empty detetiorate quicker than most people realize. I would not be surprised if that building is not full of mold and in complete disrepair. When did the shop and save close up? 15-20 years ago?
Where is that one? I was referring to the one at Pierpont that is now Price Cutter.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 AM

219 posts, read 247,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Digleer View Post
Where is that one? I was referring to the one at Pierpont that is now Price Cutter.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the old Shop N Save in Westover that's been sitting there empty.

Also, seems to me like that shop n save has been closed longer than that. I didn't think it lasted much longer than the opening of the 2 wal mart's. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:13 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the old Shop N Save in Westover that's been sitting there empty.

Also, seems to me like that shop n save has been closed longer than that. I didn't think it lasted much longer than the opening of the 2 wal mart's. Maybe I'm wrong.
Not sure when it closed, but I moved to Westover in June 2009 and remember using it (regretfully) to get small recipe add-on items throughout the following winter. Maybe closed as early as 2010, but really can't remember any other details except the horrible smell near the deli/produce section.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:29 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Digleer View Post
I was hoping Martin's would have bought the Shop and Save. They did buy a few of them in the Martinsburg / Hagerstown area and are converting them to Martin's stores. They also have 2 stores in Cumberland and I think that's as far west as they go. But their stores are really nice. They are owned by Giant.
Shop N Save had different owners, the ones bought by Martin’s/Giant were owned by SuperValu. The Shop N Saves here converted to Price Cutter are owned by Jamieson Family Markets. With the name change they are no longer using SuperValu as a supplier.

Giant (Ahold) merged with Delhaize a few years ago. They have a Food Lion in Fairmont so if they decided to come to Morgantown, they’re already sending trucks right by it.

Last edited by Trevor92; 11-03-2019 at 03:16 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 07:33 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Shop N Save had different owners, the ones bought by Martin’s/Giant were owned by SuperValu. The Shop N Saves here converted to Price Cutter are owned by Jamieson Family Markets. With the name change they are no longer using SuperValu as a supplier.

Giant (Ahold) merged with Delhaize a few years ago. They have a Food Lion in Fairmont so if they decided to come to Morgantown, they’re already sending trucks right by it.
Aren't the Shop N Saves the former Foodlands, which were independently owned super markets served by the Foodland Co. out of New Stanton, PA? Foodland essentially pulled out of West Virginia decades ago. They used to be huge in northern WV.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:29 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Aren't the Shop N Saves the former Foodlands, which were independently owned super markets served by the Foodland Co. out of New Stanton, PA? Foodland essentially pulled out of West Virginia decades ago. They used to be huge in northern WV.
I think that is true as well. It has always been a loose collection of independent owners that has made background information on the company hard to find. From what I understand, in the early 90’s the company that advised and supplied the Foodland stores became part of SuperValu. SuperValu now owns the trademark, but independent operators could continue to use the name and branding that were in place prior to this agreement. Some, but not all operators, were supplied by SuperValu including the New Stanton, PA Foodland chain.

It just so happens that the local owner/operator of Price Cutter in Northern WV is Jamieson Family Markets. This site lists out their locations including party stores, Beer Warehouses, and Save-a-Lots. To make things more complicated, the Price Cutter name is under license from another company in Missouri which has stores there.
https://www.jamiesonfamilymarkets.com/locations/

Last edited by Trevor92; 11-03-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 02:21 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
The Parkersburg area had three Foodlands until just a year or two ago. They are now Piggly Wiggly stores. There was a Shop'n Save in south PKB but I don't know if it still there or not.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Wow, blast from past w/ Foodland stores! Yes, recall one on Mileground & another near the Big Lots near Star City bridge -- all back in '98 or so?

They were low end rivals to Bi-Lo on University in Star City & even maybe Aldi's original store on Don Knotts Blvd, I think.

The only 2 Kroger's were in Sabraton & Pattison Drive in M-town.

Also, a FoodLion, I think, was in Sabraton near the Kroger there?

There were no Walmarts or even Target's back then w/ food really. The only Walmart period, that had mostly non-perishable food, was the Greenbag Rd. Mountaineer Mall as I remember -- which had the only Giant Eagle in M-town in late 90s, correct?

Oh also, the Super K-mart near Morgantown mall had frozen foods & non-perishables too & the ShopNSave on Fairmont Rd. in Westover about rounds out my knowledge of 20-25 yrs ago.

Going from sheer memory w/out looking up anything.

PS -- These stores are all before I really knew of internet or could have this much access to look up things. There was no Wikapedia, Amazon wasn't big yet, the search engines were Altavista & Yahoo, I think, & even Hotmail was barely there. Ha, showing age I know.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Wow, blast from past w/ Foodland stores! Yes, recall one on Mileground & another near the Big Lots near Star City bridge -- all back in '98 or so?

They were low end rivals to Bi-Lo on University in Star City & even maybe Aldi's original store on Don Knotts Blvd, I think.

The only 2 Kroger's were in Sabraton & Pattison Drive in M-town.

Also, a FoodLion, I think, was in Sabraton near the Kroger there?

There were no Walmarts or even Target's back then w/ food really. The only Walmart period, that had mostly non-perishable food, was the Greenbag Rd. Mountaineer Mall as I remember -- which had the only Giant Eagle in M-town in late 90s, correct?

Oh also, the Super K-mart near Morgantown mall had frozen foods & non-perishables too & the ShopNSave on Fairmont Rd. in Westover about rounds out my knowledge of 20-25 yrs ago.

Going from sheer memory w/out looking up anything.

PS -- These stores are all before I really knew of internet or could have this much access to look up things. There was no Wikapedia, Amazon wasn't big yet, the search engines were Altavista & Yahoo, I think, & even Hotmail was barely there. Ha, showing age I know.
The mega party store on University Ave. across from Huntington Bank, owned by the Salero Family, was also once a large Foodland, owned by the Saleros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown