Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times

Advertisements

I see that a few rows of ugly slums have been torn down. Does anyone know what will replace them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
I see that a few rows of ugly slums have been torn down. Does anyone know what will replace them?
Where at?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
They are part of a sunny side up thing. Currently no plans have been mentioned specifically because apparently the owner wants to buy up the couple buildings that wont currently be torn down. But the long term plan is to put in "four season" housing, meaning housing for people to live in long term. According to their request to developers, they want 5-8 story buildings with retail on the bottom floor. Ive heard the owner reached out to the local developers who love to complain about WVU developments and asked them to bid and they responded that they can get bent essentially. But that's beside the point about what is going on there. As of now though, I believe they are trying to get the last couple buildings before moving forward. Also with Mon county and the university looking at a waste to energy and steam plant, the coal plant might be gone sooner than originally thought, which would greatly help this location.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 PM

98 posts, read 113,300 times
The city requires retail on the first floor for any of these large buildings . I talked to the owners and they simply want to put the land up for sale .

Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Morgantown View Post
The city requires retail on the first floor for any of these large buildings . I talked to the owners and they simply want to put the land up for sale .
WVU to buy in 3....2.....1.....

Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM

75 posts, read 118,301 times
I noticed that beachview place or whatever it was called is now called States at Morgantown...

Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 PM

98 posts, read 113,300 times
Right . Pitt Steeler James Harrison and his Yunz crowd couldn't make it work . That Pittsburgh attitude didn't work in Morgantown . Now called " State on Campus" . I think it's a Columbus Oh deal . They have other student apts . I think they paid 7m$ ??? .

Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM

124 posts, read 151,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Morgantown View Post
Right . Pitt Steeler James Harrison and his Yunz crowd couldn't make it work . That Pittsburgh attitude didn't work in Morgantown . Now called " State on Campus" . I think it's a Columbus Oh deal . They have other student apts . I think they paid 7m$ ??? .
Wow, they got a steal at 7 million. The previous owners bragged it was a 50$ million building once overruns were figured in.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:54 PM

334 posts, read 495,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
Wow, they got a steal at 7 million. The previous owners bragged it was a 50$ million building once overruns were figured in.
And somehow only The Greeks are still standing.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 PM

193 posts, read 281,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
And somehow only The Greeks are still standing.
Yeah, I just can't understand that place. Everything connected to that building has failed with the exception of the Greeks. I can't help but wonder how much more successful the Greeks would be in a more conventional location. Their food is actually quite good. The gyros are tasty and very filling.

The other odd thing about Beechfront place is that many Busi esses tried to move in there and for what ever reason eventually pulled out. Mountaineer Hots and Molto Deli both began construction only to sit idle for a year and eventually disappear. The owner of Mountaineer Hots hinted that the building owners made it nearly impossible to build on that site. I never could get the full story out of him but after seeing all the problems everyone else had I tend to believe him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown