Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Holgerson is likely looking over his shoulder to see what Holliday is doing. Especially now that Luck is gone.
I don't think so. I don't believe the WV administration would have enough confidence in him to hire him as Head Coach at this point in any event. The level of competition at which he coaches is way below that in which The Mountaineers normally play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I don't think so. I don't believe the WV administration would have enough confidence in him to hire him as Head Coach at this point in any event. The level of competition at which he coaches is way below that in which The Mountaineers normally play.
Rodriguez came from coaching Glenville.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Rodriguez came from coaching Glenville.
That's true, he did. But Doc's success is highly predicated on his ability as a recruiter, and in his current job he has the luxary of being able to recruit "non qualifiers" since C-USA permits that practice and since, similar to community colleges, Marshall has a remedial program in place. WVU does not offer a remedial program, and none of the Power 5 leagues permit the recruitment of non qualifiers. Rodriguez was hired based on his coaching ability alone. I don't think Doc would be perceived as a good fit at WVU for Head Coach. But, that is only my opinion and anything can happen.

Pitt, on the other hand, has become a mess of instability during the past decade. They might look at Doc and see the answer to their prayers. He is relatively local, old enough that he isn't likely to be hopping around a lot from job to job, and offers a resume with a measure of success attached to it. If Marshall wins the bowl game, which seems likely, I'd be surprised if Pitt or some other major program doesn't take a serious look at him.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM

If WVU gets beat don't be surprised if they are looking for a coach also.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:29 PM

I highly doubt that. They are playing in an impressive bowl game against a nationally recognized opponent, and are obviously improved over last year with a ranked recruiting class in the wings. I don't care who is hired as Athletic Director, they are going to wait and see how that plays out.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
The Liberty Bowl isn't impressive... it's the Big 12's 5th or worse option for bowl games.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
The Liberty Bowl isn't impressive... it's the Big 12's 5th or worse option for bowl games.
It's a long time recognized bowl game. Like you said, in terms of other XII bowls it doesn't rate very highly but there are a lot of teams in the country that would love to be playing there. Memphis is a great place to visit... Beale Street, Graceland, there's little downside to the Liberty Bowl.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It's a long time recognized bowl game. Like you said, in terms of other XII bowls it doesn't rate very highly but there are a lot of teams in the country that would love to be playing there. Memphis is a great place to visit... Beale Street, Graceland, there's little downside to the Liberty Bowl.
I agree with CT Mountaineer. I actually went to a Liberty Bowl game once went I was an undergrad at University of Cincinnati. Memphis is a pretty cool city to have a bowl game. I went to Graceland and Beale St. The people in Memphis are super nice and its a great place to have a bowl game, the hotels and tickets to the game are not that expensive as well.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Hardly. Start missing bowl games and see how long your job lasts. I expect you to defend WVU no matter what they do and sometimes I agree and sometimes not but lol, you aren't going to convince anyone that playing Texas and Oklahoma every year is more important than going to bowl games.

Miss out on many bowl games and you aren't going to be able to recruit the top players either.

The ACC isn't going to self destruct either.
Here is the current value of the Nation's top college football programs. These teams serve as the bedrock of their prospective conferences... the anchor programs. The provide the foundation upon which league media value is determined. Without these programs, the conferences would have much less value and would be far less stable. The Top 10 programs disclose some interesting facts when all is said and done.

Texas is easily the most valuable program in the Nation. Four of the Power 5 leagues are represented in this grouping. The two that glaringly have zero members in this elite list are the ACC and the Pac 12. This fact is not lost on John Swofford, and to try to compensate he made major concessions to Notre Dame to entice them to affiliate with (but not join) the ACC in football. The ACC essentially took the place of the Big East in terms of pimping itself out to Notre Dame, and now the Irish will get special consideration in bowl games the league signs up with, meaning a Notre Dame team with one more loss than an ACC team can be selected for bowl participation in a bowl game over the ACC team. They also get special revenue sharing enticements in exchange for agreeing to play 5 of the ACC teams every year in football. During some years, only 2 of those games will be at ACC venues.

Even if Notre Dame were to actually join the ACC (and it won't) they would still be in a weak position relative to the other Power 5 conferences in terms of anchor programs. The SEC easily has the strongest position, followed by the Big XII in the Power 5 pecking order in that regard.

College Football Program Values

Ranking School Value
1 Texas $131 million
2 Notre Dame $122 million
3 Michigan $117 million
4 Alabama $107 million
5 LSU $103 million
6 Auburn $97 million
7 Tennessee $94 million
8 Oklahoma $93 million
9 Ohio State $87 million
10 Georgia $83 million

Forbes.com

Old 12-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Fans could care less about those numbers. Texas is still over half way across the country. There is a reason the NFL will put a Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore in the same division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown