Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times

Advertisements

That chart would be WV ahead of eight other schools in the ACC. However, because you are a "fan" in some survey doesn't mean you will go to away games and "support" your team.

I still say WV is a great fit for the ACC as they would be competitive in all sports and would bring in the important thing ($$$$$).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaebie View Post
Agreed. In the Big East, West Virginia has the largest fan base. They would be in the middle of the pack in the ACC. Be glad you aren't Wake Forest!

LINK - The Geography of College Football Fans

Some conferences are more selective then others like the Big Ten, but all know academics has a lot to do with adding teams. Over 99% of the student body does not play intercollegiate sports.

Having the largest fan base in the Big East will not help them get into another conference. They better hope the Big East can stay together.
When this thing all shakes out, WV will be in one of the power conferences. It simply has too much to offer to not have a seat at the table.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Estimates put the GameDay crowd in Morgantown at 14,000, which might be a GameDay record. Morgantown absolutely nailed it!

College GameDay Meets Morgantown - West Virginia's Eyewitness News

Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
Default An LSU Fan writes about the Morgantown Experience

Unfortunately, we didn't fare quite as well as I had hoped!

More thoughts on WVU/Morgantown/this weekend @ TigerDroppings.com

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Well, there were 7,000 LSU fans there, and the ones I spoke with had a different opinion. They seemed very favoribly impressed.

We don't have a 95,000 seat stadium. Few schools do, even in the SEC, or the Big 10 for that matter. If we go to their conference, we'll definitely have to expand the stadium by thousands. Not only do SEC teams travel very well, demand for tickets would pick up here too with competition in the best football league in the country.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
I hate to make a true scotsmen argument, but lots of these mountaineer fans aren't real fans. They come from out of state and probably didn't care about the team until they became a student at wvu. Suddenly they take on this high school, "we're the best mentality and give wvu a bad name." Being vulgar isn't good team loyalty as it makes them look bad in the end.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

42 posts, read 71,895 times
Police: LSU fans attacked following W.Va. game
Quote:
MORGANTOWN (AP) — Morgantown police say four LSU fans were attacked after the game against West Virginia, with one of them suffering severe head injuries.
The attack occurred late Saturday as spectators left Milan Puskar Stadium. In a news release, the Morgantown Police Department said someone threw a rock through an open window of the vehicle carrying the four fans.
http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/l...owing-wva-game

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

253 posts, read 571,454 times
Honestly though 'Death Valley' doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for visiting fans either.

However, I do have to say they are making an effort. Last time I went to a game I had more people come up, ask how I was enjoying my visit and apologize for fan behavior than I actually had rowdy fans get in my face. Also some LSU fans were tailgating at the parking lot we were in and about to go in and had some extra food and offered it to us. Good BBQ. Even though there WERE some obnoxious A-holes b/c the good ones made an effort and didn't just stay quiet, I left feeling that overall the experience was positive.

And yes, if you join the SEC expect to have to step your away game up. We party hard whether home or away. I've been to games in Athens, Oxford, Baton Rouge, and T'town and always had a blast.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby00 View Post

Idiots.

Who would do such a thing over a football game?

The mood in morgantown saturday night was ugly. I don't like my team losing but that doesn't mean I go out and try to fight people. People need to reevaluate their lives.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,045 times
I've just recently heard this news of WV wanting to join the SEC. Why does WV want to leave the Big East for the SEC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown