Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
WVU has an entire state, plus parts of OH, PA, KY, VA, and MD. Pitt doesn't even have Pittsburgh as a fan base. Also Pitt has 40,000 students, which makes their lack of fan base worse. WVU and Penn State are the two top fan bases in Western PA.

Also I wouldn't say WVU is generally as good as Syracuse in basketball seeing how they have several championships, and we have yet to gain one. Plus they beat us every year.
You know Chriss I dont really like Pitt enough to defend them.

WVU has won big east and consistently make it to the national tournament. Id say we are on about the same level. Maybe Syracuse is slightly better, but not by much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I have to disagree about Pitt. They have a big fan base. They werent a bad choice for the ACC, sportswise, but Syracuse was.
I'm not sure what you're using for that opinion. They have a stadium within walking distance of their downtown, and play to half full crowds with ticket discount prices almost as severe as those of Marshall. They're roughly the same size school as WVU, but they have serious media competition in their particular market. I just don't see how they contribute to the media appeal in a significant manner there.

Remember... The Steelers are far and away #1 in Pittsburgh. There is then a two way tie between Penn State and Pitt. West Virginia is a not too distant third in that market. But the point is... big time competition, and although Pittsburgh is not even close to being an NYC (the entire Pittsburgh media market is about the same size as the entire West Virginia state media market), they deliver at most 20% of thier market while West Virginia delivers 90% of our market, and likely a good 10% of theirs. If you're talking media appeal between Pitt and WV... we win going away. Now, Penn State... that's another matter altogether.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
I'm not supporting either Pitt or Syracuse. I'm saying that Pitt has a terrible fan base, and SU has alot better Bball team than we do. Not saying ours isn't good, but if it was at their level then we would have a couple titles. Winning the Big East Tournament once, and two final fours isn't being an elite program like SU, Uconn, KY, Kansas, ect...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I'm not supporting either Pitt or Syracuse. I'm saying that Pitt has a terrible fan base, and SU has alot better Bball team than we do. Not saying ours isn't good, but if it was at their level then we would have a couple titles. Winning the Big East Tournament once, and two final fours isn't being an elite program like SU, Uconn, KY, Kansas, ect...
Yeah, Cuse has an outstanding basketball program, one of the very best. There is no doubt about that. We are, however close to that level. Time will tell, but I think we will get there. In football, it is no contest. We win on that count hands down in spite of a couple brain farts from time to time. And, football is where the real money lies.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 AM

180 posts, read 352,238 times
Woo Hoo Go Cards. Sorry WVU. I think you were out couched in the loss to my Cardinals. Can someone tell Holgerson to comb his hair or put on a hat.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Default WVU likely going to the BCS

Once again the Mountaineers make the state proud.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM

There is no question that The Mountaineers are the face of the state to the whole country. And, that positive exposure is only going to increase.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Go Mountaineers!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM

180 posts, read 352,238 times
Too bad the best team in the Big East isnt going.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
Too bad the best team in the Big East isnt going.
Do you mean Louisville or Cincinnati?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown