Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM

420 posts, read 805,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
I dont get why you guys are saying well lose to Ok St. They are losing both their QB (weeden) and their star WR (blackmon). OK is a toss up, I dont see us losing to Texas and K-State is also a toss up because their QB (Klien) is a heisman candidate. And a lot of you dont understand that Holgorson knows every Big 12 team inside and out, hes played against every single one of them, multiple times. 10-2 at worst.

Also the basketball team will actually do better in the Big 12. Kansas of course is always good, but who else? Texas is usually really good, but Baylor and Missouri being good this year is a fluke. Besides that, thats pretty much all they have.

Mountaineer baseball will do pretty good as well, even though Big 12 baseball teams are pretty competitive though.
OSU returns 36/44 of their two-deep and is loaded and is potentially a top 5 team again. Stillwater is a tough place to win at too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
OSU returns 36/44 of their two-deep and is loaded and is potentially a top 5 team again. Stillwater is a tough place to win at too.
I agree.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Let's

GO

MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Default WVU #18 in Directors Cup Standings

West Virginia has the #18 ranked athletic program in the Nation in the latest Directors Cup standings.

WVU Athletics Ranks No. 18 in Latest Directors' Cup Standings - WVU Mountaineer Sports: Basketball | Football | News |

Old 04-07-2012, 07:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
I am a Pitt alum (as well as Penn State)... and WVU is my 3rd favorite team (I don't have a 4th favorite). I have no animosity toward the Mountaineers and root for them to win every game other than Pitt (Penn State is irrelevant since the Nittany Lions refuse to play any of their traditional Eastern rivals). I've always held the concept that three successful universities (and football teams) in our Western PA / Northern WV megaregion is good for us... raises our national profile... generates economic benefits... instills pride in the populace, etc.

The Big East is a sinking ship... and WVU and Pitt needed to jump off now... but I hate that the WVU-Pitt athletic relationship is severed... and especially hate that WVU had to end up in a Texas conference... so geographically and culturally incongruous! (Not WVU's fault... apparently they lobbied ACC and SEC... but eventually did what they had to do.) It's a shame WVU couldn't end up in the ACC with rivals Pitt and Syracuse... along with rivals Maryland, VaTech and Miami. Now that would've been awesome. I actually don't think WVU/Big XII will be a long-term arrangement. Eventually WVU will end up in ACC/SEC or even Big 10 when megaconference consolidation reaches a more advanced stage. It's possible the Big XII could be torn apart by the Pac XII and SEC... as was speculated the past couple years before the Big XII strengthened itself with WVU.

Hopefully Pitt and WVU don't pull a Penn State... and agree to continue their annual rivalry after their scheduling commitments for the next few years clear out.

And WVU is a very attractive brand. A lot of people look at the paltry 1.8M population of West Virginia and think there's no market... but the Mountaineers are located within the Pittsburgh Designated Media Market... and at least 10% of Metro Pittsburgh college football fans are WVU fans (especially when you head south into Fayette County and environs). WVU also pulls a lot of support from the major East Coast / Mid-Atlantic population centers like DC... and I've seen a lot of WVU paraphanelia in Eastern Ohio. And in terms of national television audiences... the Mountaineers are known for their consistent success and exciting style of play. Great "Flying WV" logo as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I am a Pitt alum (as well as Penn State)... and WVU is my 3rd favorite team (I don't have a 4th favorite). I have no animosity toward the Mountaineers and root for them to win every game other than Pitt (Penn State is irrelevant since the Nittany Lions refuse to play any of their traditional Eastern rivals). I've always held the concept that three successful universities (and football teams) in our Western PA / Northern WV megaregion is good for us... raises our national profile... generates economic benefits... instills pride in the populace, etc.

The Big East is a sinking ship... and WVU and Pitt needed to jump off now... but I hate that the WVU-Pitt athletic relationship is severed... and especially hate that WVU had to end up in a Texas conference... so geographically and culturally incongruous! (Not WVU's fault... apparently they lobbied ACC and SEC... but eventually did what they had to do.) It's a shame WVU couldn't end up in the ACC with rivals Pitt and Syracuse... along with rivals Maryland, VaTech and Miami. Now that would've been awesome. I actually don't think WVU/Big XII will be a long-term arrangement. Eventually WVU will end up in ACC/SEC or even Big 10 when megaconference consolidation reaches a more advanced stage. It's possible the Big XII could be torn apart by the Pac XII and SEC... as was speculated the past couple years before the Big XII strengthened itself with WVU.

Hopefully Pitt and WVU don't pull a Penn State... and agree to continue their annual rivalry after their scheduling commitments for the next few years clear out.

And WVU is a very attractive brand. A lot of people look at the paltry 1.8M population of West Virginia and think there's no market... but the Mountaineers are located within the Pittsburgh Designated Media Market... and at least 10% of Metro Pittsburgh college football fans are WVU fans (especially when you head south into Fayette County and environs). WVU also pulls a lot of support from the major East Coast / Mid-Atlantic population centers like DC... and I've seen a lot of WVU paraphanelia in Eastern Ohio. And in terms of national television audiences... the Mountaineers are known for their consistent success and exciting style of play. Great "Flying WV" logo as well.
The ACC was the best fit for WVU, but they were not interested in WVU. The market is just not there. The SEC actually did want them, it was just more interested in another team first and wanted to see what they did before picking up WVU. WVU was not willing to wait. I think eventually they the SEC would have picked up WVU, as it is a good choice, but WVU couldnt wait while the SEC dragged their feet.

It is a shame that WVU lost all its rivals. The problem is the ACC controls all the areas around WVU. It is very possible that the big 12 will be absorbed by the SEC and the Big 10, but perhaps WVU's inclusion can stop this. If the conferences continue to expand who knows.

I personally would prefer a playoff system, but that is NEVER going to happen. Their is too much money in the BCS. The BCS is about money.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 AM

180 posts, read 352,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WVU walks away with the last victory in both football and basketball.

Looks like the ACC got a lame duck while the Big 12 got a bull.
Dont forget the short lived rivalry with my beloved Louisville Cardinals. We sent you packing with a loss in football and basketball. Both games in Morgantown.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
Dont forget the short lived rivalry with my beloved Louisville Cardinals. We sent you packing with a loss in football and basketball. Both games in Morgantown.
Nobody really cares, with the exception of Louisville.

They were ok, and a good basketball rival, but never really made a dent on the Big E overall. I wouldnt mind them coming to the Big 12 too as they would give WVU a close rival school and improve the basketball.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM

It is actually the ACC that is in greatest danger of being raided now, since 2 of their 3 premier football programs are unhappy that the league did not do enough to improve the football footprint with their recent expansion, and since they could make a lot more money in one of the better football leagues like the Big 12. The Big 12 has solidified itself with a play that cedes the television revenres to the conference for 13 years, and basically guarantees participating programs nearly $20 million per year in tv revenues. That is millions more than any of the ACC programs will make, plus the B12 is a far better football conference than the ACC.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Default More Information About the Planned Improvements

Article - WVU seeks Big 12 upgrades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown