Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The ACC has much more academic prestige than the Big XII.
I care more about the football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Texas and Baylor are medical research powerhouses, so even if academics mattered, Big12 is in the mix. Spare me this academic crap though - people join athletic conferences based on athletics. If I wanted to be in the same conference as other schools with good research, I'd go to a research symposium...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Texas and Baylor are medical research powerhouses, so even if academics mattered, Big12 is in the mix. Spare me this academic crap though - people join athletic conferences based on athletics. If I wanted to be in the same conference as other schools with good research, I'd go to a research symposium...
Agreed. And the ACC is an 'academic powerhouse' (I love how people think that is relevant in college sports) because of schools like UVA, BC, Wake Forest, UNC and Duke...not Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, the newly added Pitt, Syracuse, etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Agreed. And the ACC is an 'academic powerhouse' (I love how people think that is relevant in college sports) because of schools like UVA, BC, Wake Forest, UNC and Duke...not Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, the newly added Pitt, Syracuse, etc.
Well their 'academics' arent helping them win games.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
I thought the conferences had agreements to share the research $$$ ... and those run into the eight and nine figures, as much as any football TV rights.

If football prowess was the only thing that mattered, the SEC would've kicked Vandy out years ago.

Also, VaTech leaving the ACC will lead to a LOT of hurt feelings among People Who Matter, many if not most of whom went to The University. Mark Warner (I think) had to twist lots of arms to get UVA to agree to having VaTech join the ACC, and leaving after a decade would not look good.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well their 'academics' arent helping them win games.
It depends on what you call academics. Some of the ACC schools have very little research... Boston College and Wake Forest for example. Others have good liberal arts programs but offer little in the way of agriculture and many other vital academic areas. Some, like Pitt, basically specialize in medical stuff. What is good academics to some doesn't matter much to others.

In the Big 12 we have opportunities to form research partnerships with outstanding institutions in the field of energy research, which is already a strong area at WVU. The Texas and Oklahoma schools are world leaders in that field which is absolutely vital to the state of West Virginia.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It depends on what you call academics. Some of the ACC schools have very little research... Boston College and Wake Forest for example. Others have good liberal arts programs but offer little in the way of agriculture and many other vital academic areas. Some, like Pitt, basically specialize in medical stuff. What is good academics to some doesn't matter much to others.

In the Big 12 we have opportunities to form research partnerships with outstanding institutions in the field of energy research, which is already a strong area at WVU. The Texas and Oklahoma schools are world leaders in that field which is absolutely vital to the state of West Virginia.
Perhaps the ACC can put their best minds together to figure out a way to improve their football program.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't count on that. Tobacco Road mostly cares about basketball. Football is an afterthought.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM

286 posts, read 348,441 times
When will construction start on the field?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM

They are still going through the process of getting the approvals in place for the
TIF districts and so forth. Since state government is involved with part of that,
it will move at a snail's pace. Once they do their bureaucratic stuff things should
start moving fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown