Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 12:04 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yeah, but a Sheetz there will negate any progress and efforts to make that a smooth drive through a non congested intersection. They can't afford to buy out a Sheetz after the fact.

Oh well, stupid is as stupid does. Just another reason why the county should have woken up 20 years ago and implemented zoning like every other growing area in America does.
Has Morgantown still not implemented zoning laws yet?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 12:52 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
They have been buying up property. The only hold up has been those trailers on the corner lot as you go down the hill.
they already took out one of the trailers, the other two are staying...they are done removing any properties on that corner, and they arent even taking down that big blue advertising sign......theres about 3 or 4 really tall trees I think theyll have no choice but to remove though......This is all according to the guy who owns all that property anyway.....

Old 06-29-2019, 01:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Has Morgantown still not implemented zoning laws yet?!
Nope, just in city limits. NOTHING in the county where most of the development is occurring. No building codes or fees unless it is required by the state. Installation of electric service is an example. That requires a state inspection. (Thank goodness or this town would have burned down years ago).

I'll explain what I know. (may be a bit long) The routine local gov't excuse is, "When we tried to enact countywide zoning in the 90's all the local developers came out against it". Well, duh? What did they expect? Doesn't stop other areas from zoning. LOL

My work puts me in contact with out of state developers currently for various reasons. The feedback I have been getting for YEARS is that even though it is "easier" it's not worth it for them to invest here. I was told by many that they feel like they are investing in an area similar to the "wild west". I almost laugh out loud when they incredulously ask, "So...there is NO zoning and I will pay NO impact fees if I build there? WTH, seriously?"
(They even start laughing too but not in a good way)

BTW, I am usually talking to a CEO or comptroller with a large company, many times from a big city and they are NOT impressed. They see it as a potential PROBLEM rather than being "business friendly" which is the excuse we are routinely sold from politicians and the COC. Trust me, GOOD companies are scared away from lax rules and non existent zoning while we are stuck with Sheetz and Dan Ryan who don't care.

The responsible corporations who would be excellent neighbors have their own NIMBY sentiments when it comes to over development and sprawl. After all with no zoning to speak of countywide, what is stopping encroachment upon them AFTER they make a huge multi million dollar investment? Not worth it. Our shoddy roads that go into haphazard developments stuck on a hillside speak for themselves when people visit and look around. (Dan Ryan Homes has totally taken advantage of our lack of zoning and we see the results - barely more than one lane farm roads leading to 300+ home and townhouse developments are the norm). This is not even getting into development related water drainage issues that effect others. Our only recourse as property and business owners? SUE! This is the only thing left to do.

EVERY time I have brought up this problem on this board I am accused of "being against progress". Please. Much of this attitude is because I am a local. LMAO. I gave up. So tired of the insults from posters who think they know better but keep dragging us down the path of chaos. Yet, they too complain just like the locals about the obvious problems! How come I get 100% agreement when talking to CEO's from all over the country who see the same red flags here I do?

That's my vent. I rarely bring it up anymore as few will listen to logic. Take it for what you will.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 PM

53 posts, read 52,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The responsible corporations who would be excellent neighbors have their own NIMBY sentiments when it comes to over development and sprawl. After all with no zoning to speak of countywide, what is stopping encroachment upon them AFTER they make a huge multi million dollar investment? Not worth it. Our shoddy roads that go into haphazard developments stuck on a hillside speak for themselves when people visit and look around. (Dan Ryan Homes has totally taken advantage of our lack of zoning and we see the results - barely more than one lane farm roads leading to 300+ home and townhouse developments are the norm). This is not even getting into development related water drainage issues that effect others. Our only recourse as property and business owners? SUE! This is the only thing left to do.

EVERY time I have brought up this problem on this board I am accused of "being against progress". Please. Much of this attitude is because I am a local. LMAO. I gave up. So tired of the insults from posters who think they know better but keep dragging us down the path of chaos. Yet, they too complain just like the locals about the obvious problems! How come I get 100% agreement when talking to CEO's from all over the country who see the same red flags here I do?

That's my vent. I rarely bring it up anymore as few will listen to logic. Take it for what you will.
I believe you 100%. One of my favorite parts of Morgantown that illustrates this is the end of Van Voorhis.

While they did recently pave the first bit that you can see from the main road, it's still a blast driving on the rest of this super narrow road with insanely deep drop-offs on either side. And you'll wish you had more curb to avoid the numerous potholes.

It's always fun to have pedestrians coming from the many apartments walking pretty much on the street with no lighting, especially at night.

And at the end is the best part. Multiple trailer park right next to overpriced townhomes with 1 star average reviews. And across the street is "prestigious" Brettwald with $500k-$1mil houses Can the doctors even make it out of there in the middle of winter if there is an emergency?

Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times
I think Stewartstown Road is another great example of this mess, just farm land and then random apartment complexes. Thanks for the informative response motownnative!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:54 PM

53 posts, read 52,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
I think Stewartstown Road is another great example of this mess, just farm land and then random apartment complexes. Thanks for the informative response motownnative!
OMG yes - and some of the roads going in and out of there are insane!

I still remember the "hidden" road I went down when riding with a friend who lived there. There's not way you could see it from the main road, and I don't know how people trying to get on the main road didn't fall backwards and crash into the cars behind them.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:22 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Westridge Development Phase III - Water and Sanitary Sewer Project

The project is to extend water and sanitary sewer service to the new Westridge Development and is located in Morgantown, WV, Monongalia County, off of Exit 153 (Martin Hollow Road).

The work includes construction of +/- 2,987’ of 12” PVC sanitary sewer line, +/-240’ of 12” HDPE sanitary sewer line, +/-822’ of 8” PVC sanitary sewer line, +/-105’ of 8” HDPE sanitary sewer line, 37 pre-cast manholes, two (2) 10’ diameter pre-cast concrete wet wells, +/-4,287’ of 16” DI water line, +/-1,877’ of 12” DI water line, +/- 136’ of 8” PVC water line, nine (9) short fire services, seven (7) fire hydrants, +/- 35’ of 24” steel casing by bore and jack, +/- 440’ of 24” steel casing by open cut, and all other related appurtenances.

https://mub.org/projects/westridge-d...-sewer-project

Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7845 View Post
I believe you 100%. One of my favorite parts of Morgantown that illustrates this is the end of Van Voorhis.

While they did recently pave the first bit that you can see from the main road, it's still a blast driving on the rest of this super narrow road with insanely deep drop-offs on either side. And you'll wish you had more curb to avoid the numerous potholes.

It's always fun to have pedestrians coming from the many apartments walking pretty much on the street with no lighting, especially at night.

And at the end is the best part. Multiple trailer park right next to overpriced townhomes with 1 star average reviews. And across the street is "prestigious" Brettwald with $500k-$1mil houses Can the doctors even make it out of there in the middle of winter if there is an emergency?
I remember when the VanV project was announced it was supposed to include sidewalks. That never happened, paving only went 1/2 of the entire road, and the project ran over by about 6 months.

What a joke.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
I remember when the VanV project was announced it was supposed to include sidewalks. That never happened, paving only went 1/2 of the entire road, and the project ran over by about 6 months.

What a joke.
Anything the state government does is generally filled with broken promises, incompetence, and neglect.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:43 AM

113 posts, read 147,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Anything the state government does is generally filled with broken promises, incompetence, and neglect.
I don't know if this was the original promise regarding the start date, but the project is slated to begin in 2021. I'm only the messenger.

https://transportation.wv.gov/drivef...px?project=553
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown