Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Makes sense regarding the Cancer Center and WVU Children's, but there is that empty lot by the beautiful new WVU Medicine facility above the baseball field too. One wonders what will go in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 06:16 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Makes sense regarding the Cancer Center and WVU Children's, but there is that empty lot by the beautiful new WVU Medicine facility above the baseball field too. One wonders what will go in there.
I thought they were still trying to decide whether to build the surgical center there or closer to the hospital.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 PM

Ah, okay. Maybe that's it then. If you have ever been inside the current WVU Medicine building there, you know the view from inside there, in the waiting areas, is absolutely breathtaking. I hope that whatever they do does not interfere with that.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:18 PM

193 posts, read 281,907 times
WVU in the Big XII is not ideal. Most other teams in the league do not like us being there. There is a very good chance that when tje current TV contract expires the Big XII won't even exist. At least no where near its current form. Oklahoma wants out badly. And if they go the dominos will fall.

As for the SEC, id love to see it happen but there is practically no chance WVU would end up there.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
WVU in the Big XII is not ideal. Most other teams in the league do not like us being there. There is a very good chance that when tje current TV contract expires the Big XII won't even exist. At least no where near its current form. Oklahoma wants out badly. And if they go the dominos will fall.

As for the SEC, id love to see it happen but there is practically no chance WVU would end up there.

Id rather see WVU in the ACC, I could actually root for WVU sports casually that way, and make my wife happier lol.....

Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post

We don't know that in any event. WVU nearly ended up in the SEC just a few years ago, and the #31 in the Nation financially college athletic program would be at least middle of the pack in any league in the country. Maybe the XII is not ideal for you, but it is ideal for many others. The competition is top notch. The participation in a league that has members with similar cultural attributes is definitely a plus. The money is top flight. And with air travel, distance has really not turned out to be such an issue. Big 12 graduates and fans who live in the East throng to Morgantown for events, and the thousands of displaced West Virginians who live in the Southwest support the Mountaineers at sporting events in that part of the country. In many ways, this is a win-win arrangement.

The ACC, although Power 5, is a definite step down from the XII in terms of finances and competition overall. Florida State and Clemson, although quality athletic programs, are not the anchor programs that are Oklahoma and Texas. And, the special treatment afforded Notre Dame, a la Big East 2, will eventually cause trouble in that league just as it did in the last one.

The ability to schedule, and interest on the part of our long time East Coast major rivals to schedule athletic competitions is also doing much to make for a viable scheduling scenario. In any Power 5 conference these days, the members are spread out over more than a thousand miles. How far is it from Boston to Miami, or Piscataway to Nebraska? Nobody is complaining, and our facilities are becoming some of the better ones in the country.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Back to the topic of this thread (athletics are on another thread), here is more about WestRidge...

The Dominion Post - WestRidge Business & Retail Park works ahead

Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Back to the topic of this thread (athletics are on another thread), here is more about WestRidge...

The Dominion Post - WestRidge Business & Retail Park works ahead
"Announcements coming very soon". Let's hope it is actually very soon, I am getting very impatient at this point. "250,000 square foot regional corporate headquarters" will be a pretty good sized building. Also didn't realize how large Drury Inn and Suites would be, 8 story building with 180 beds, you will be able to see that from a pretty good distance (which I hope means they will build one of their nicer designed buildings).

I wonder when WVU medicine will come out and announce what they have planned, there has been a lot of chatter about it in news papers and other public areas recently about they have something planned, but nothing specific is mentioned. I hope they announce soon also.

We should end up with some pretty good retail in WestRidge Commons since there will be a bunch of employees all through WestRidge (not to mention a medical facility and regional corporate headquarters, which should help draw in some better retail). But they keep talking about entertainment over in WestRidge, I wonder what is being planned.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 06-25-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
"Announcements coming very soon". Let's hope it is actually very soon, I am getting very impatient at this point. "250,000 square foot regional corporate headquarters" will be a pretty good sized building. Also didn't realize how large Drury Inn and Suites would be, 8 story building with 180 beds, you will be able to see that from a pretty good distance (which I hope means they will build one of their nicer designed buildings).

I wonder when WVU medicine will come out and announce what they have planned, there has been a lot of chatter about it in news papers and other public areas recently about they have something planned, but nothing specific is mentioned. I hope they announce soon also.

We should end up with some pretty good retail in WestRidge Commons since there will be a bunch of employees all through WestRidge (not to mention a medical facility and regional corporate headquarters, which should help draw in some better retail). But they keep talking about entertainment over in WestRidge, I wonder what is being planned.
I also immediately thought of Drury when I read this. Has that been confirmed? It would be a great addition and I believe the first in WV. My second thought would be Hyatt Place. An eight story building up there would definitely provide breathtaking views.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I also immediately thought of Drury when I read this. Has that been confirmed? It would be a great addition and I believe the first in WV. My second thought would be Hyatt Place. An eight story building up there would definitely provide breathtaking views.
Yes it has been confirmed as a Drury (but not by the company yet), they officially bought the pad (deed was transferred to them) in the beginning of June for a little over 2 million dollars and the advertisement for WestRidge crossings lists Drury Inn and Suites as the hotel coming there. A Hyatt Place would have been nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown