Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:28 PM

354 posts, read 505,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
It will be interesting what all that flat land could be used for if the mall does close someday.
Likely a strip mall

A business park was sold to us when it was time to sell out the public for that public TIF money. I think we see happening what most logical people predicted: a sea of pavement and minimum wage jobs while lots sit vacant downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 03:58 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Likely a strip mall

A business park was sold to us when it was time to sell out the public for that public TIF money. I think we see happening what most logical people predicted: a sea of pavement and minimum wage jobs while lots sit vacant downtown.
There are reasons there is much less new activity downtown. First of all, anybody who wants to develop has to deal with legal confrontations at every step of the process. None of that happens outside city limits. Secondly, the downtown old guard interests refuse to even minimally improve their assets, or in some cases even maintain their properties. The fact that The University's downtown campus is nearby will mean that there will always be demand in the downtown area, but it will gradually be supplanted in terms of new development by outer areas that don't have to deal with the insanity of trying to do business downtown while bucking the self centered old guard that won't help itself, and thinks itself entitled to keep the area behind times, and the outstanding developer who has a specific self interest in using the political morass downtown to inhibit competition for his developments, most of which are not in the city limits.

In the majority of areas in our state, city governments would be thrilled with any positive development at all. Our entrenched Old Guard has been entrenched so long with minimal competition, having a monopoly over the guaranteed business coming from the school, that they are stuck in retrograde in their thinking and want only to suck every bit of lifeblood from their properties without investing anything in them. They will survive that way, as long as city government, and just as importantly The University allows them to do it, but they will not truly thrive. The times, they are a changin'.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:16 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,706 times
My guess would be Giant Eagle Market District for the grocery store component. The only other grocery store that large is Wegmans, but they don't operate gas stations.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM

456 posts, read 602,265 times
the new children's hospital from what I have heard is going to be run by WVU. that is a perfect place for it right off 79. it would only cause more traffic congestion by ruby. there will be a lot of businesses wanting to locate close to this and its a will only help with the development as a whole. 79 will need upgraded with all the new traffic and these exits are close together. certain stores thrive in malls and morgantowns isn't that big where if it keeps its anchors it should survive. it is supposed to have a access road to the new development also which should keep some people off the interstate since they can access everything without getting on 79. they do need to fill the old kmart. perfect place for menards who is building in wheeling or a Costco or large sporting goods store which would really bring people back up to the mall. the mall needs updated inside and out.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:36 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
Quote:
So someone on facebook mentioned that our "larger" Kroger is only 86,000 sqf. So whatever this new store is, will be a lot larger.

Also someone brought up that it might be a Costco.

I hope its Costco, and they do have gas stations so it doesnt necessarily have to be a Giant Eagle or Kroger. Heck even Walmarts have Gas stations back out West.....

Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM

The original mall off of Greenbag was repurposed for the most part. True, it is partly vacant, but somehow the owners managed to get enough tenants to keep it going. It's a lot older than the Morgantown Mall. My guess is that is possible due to the general growth of the area. Looking at the Morgantown Mall, the old KMart is the only really unused portion at this time. I have to believe something will move in there.

Having the major medical units in proximity to the retail will only help the retail. If that new hospital is to be built there, it will draw thousands per day in traffic.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
So when looking west if standing on the bridge, the land to the right of the traffic circle that backs up the the entrance ramp, is going to be a Sheetz and a Drury Inn and Suites.

Regarding business park, there is a ton of land back there, and some is already sold to businesses and many other pads still for sale for the business park.

I think Costco taking over the old kMart would be great. Would really breathe new life into that shopping center, but I will take Costco where ever I can get it.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
So when looking west if standing on the bridge, the land to the right of the traffic circle that backs up the the entrance ramp, is going to be a Sheetz and a Drury Inn and Suites.

Regarding business park, there is a ton of land back there, and some is already sold to businesses and many other pads still for sale for the business park.

I think Costco taking over the old kMart would be great. Would really breathe new life into that shopping center, but I will take Costco where ever I can get it.
Costco would definitely be a winner. The general area of the development is taking on quite a mixed character. That could make it even more attractive for investors.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 PM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
So someone on facebook mentioned that our "larger" Kroger is only 86,000 sqf. So whatever this new store is, will be a lot larger.

Also someone brought up that it might be a Costco.
There's a Kroger Marketplace in Ohio that is supposedly 145,000 sq ft.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
My guess would be Giant Eagle Market District for the grocery store component. The only other grocery store that large is Wegmans, but they don't operate gas stations.
Would they do a MarketDistrict so close to the regular Giant Eagle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown