Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
It is Leidos, 30,000 square feet, 175 - 250 employees. Median Salary is 76K

So it is the building (yet to be built) behind Kmart in front of the power distribution center.
Looks good to me. It's a solid start. Hopefully much more to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDude View Post
Pay is decent. Not a lot of employees but I'll take what we can get in this area. Is the number of jobs including who is already hired in Morgantown at the Don Knotts location or is this new employees?
No clue, in another tweet they said it will mainly focus on tech workers. Building will also have a caffeine bar and rec space. I'm not sure what the other workers in town do right now.

This is definitely a solid start and lets hope just the beginning of many. Nice thing is this isn't even over in the office park area.

Tom Bloom is saying this is the first of several announcements in the next several weeks....we shall see.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Just saw in a news article that Leidos will be adding 110 new jobs and consolidating the 140 current others (spread across three locations) to this new location. Solid addition of new good paying jobs. They also announced they plan to fill most of the 110 jobs by hiring students graduating from WVU and surrounding colleges to retain professional talent in the state.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Just saw in a news article that Leidos will be adding 110 new jobs and consolidating the 140 current others (spread across three locations) to this new location. Solid addition of new good paying jobs. They also announced they plan to fill most of the 110 jobs by hiring students graduating from WVU and surrounding colleges to retain professional talent in the state.
https://www.wdtv.com/content/news/Le...502380941.html

Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 PM

This very well funded company, which just received more than $400 million in government contracts from local NCWV organizations, seeks to turn NCWV into a mini Silicon Valley and wants to hire WVU graduates and West Virginia natives to do it.

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/12...ilicon-valley/

Old 12-11-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
This very well funded company, which just received more than $400 million in government contracts from local NCWV organizations, seeks to turn NCWV into a mini Silicon Valley and wants to hire WVU graduates and West Virginia natives to do it.

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/12...ilicon-valley/
I love the "mini Silicon Valley" idea...maybe "Silicon Hill" will stick one day? This is a great step forward for West Virginia.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM

77 posts, read 83,023 times
New tech companies and jobs are fantastic for this area.

The idea that we will turn it into a mini-silicon valley is just dumb. I cringe every time I hear someone say that or read it. If one wants to name a place a mini silicon valley, maybe look at Austin or Raleigh.

I think educated people sound silly when they say that about Morgantown. We have a lot to offer, but we are waaaay behind the eight ball when it comes to business incubators and tech and the like.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post

The idea that we will turn it into a mini-silicon valley is just dumb. I cringe every time I hear someone say that or read it. If one wants to name a place a mini silicon valley, maybe look at Austin or Raleigh.

I think educated people sound silly when they say that about Morgantown. We have a lot to offer, but we are waaaay behind the eight ball when it comes to business incubators and tech and the like.
I beg to differ. While we will never be Silicon Valley, we certainly have every potential to be a mini version of it. Located here, and within a short distance are the FBI, NASA, the Oceanographic organization, the Dept. of Agriculture, NETL, NIOSH, Bureau of Prisons, and a research intensive university. This company, which has a well respected national reputation, just received hundreds of millions in contracts from organizations that have a very heavy local presence. We might not be Austin or Raleigh, but we don't have millions of people living here either. A scaled down mini version is quite attainable for our little West Virginia town located in an area with a growing high tech footprint.

This company is making a commitment here, and investing in infrastructure to back it up. They have stated their goals. Let's hope some version of them come to pass. It might even benefit other areas of our state long term. Mon County has been working on this development for at least a couple years.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post

Disagree for the same reasons CTMountaineer already posted. This is highly attainable if done thoughtfully and proactively.

Build it and they will come. Austin, Raleigh and I'll thrown in northern Virginia all exploded around that concept.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 15,393 times
Silicon Holler?? ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown