Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 07:44 AM

456 posts, read 602,139 times

Advertisements

Although most retail is on life support previous announcements have said before for over a year they had 80% of Westridge leased and it seems at this point that probably wasn't so. Supposed announcements for the last two years that keep getting delayed with no start dates for things already announced. Most maps i've seen of the office part of the development still show no leased buildings so I think most that has fizzled also. At this point it looks like only the one office will even be done this year and that will end up probably being delayed at this point. Leidos will be nice but they are already in Morgantown and they will be adding a few more jobs but nothing significant over what they already have in the area. It doesn't look like any other job announcements are on the horizon and at this point if we see anything it looks like late 2020 or 2021. It's been a big disappointment and like most developments in West Virginia in the end its relocated businesses from other parts of town and few real jobs.I could be surprised but I doubt it at this stage. I have little faith in the people developing this property and see little they've done with other developments done in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Brand new listing for the old Kmart location, shows the right half as "Rural King coming soon" and the left half (up to 45,000 square feet) now available to lease. This is a new listing to Petroplus and before the other site said the 45,000 square feet would be available to lease sometime in 2019.

Petroplus & Associates, Inc. » 6540 Mall Road, Morgantown, WV

Also take this with a grain of salt but I was down at Kohls this weekend shopping and I mentioned about how I wished they'd build one in Morgantown and the employee mentioned that he hadn't heard anything specific. But he did say that a vast majority of their customers come from the Morgantown and surrounding areas zip codes and that if they ever did build one in Morgantown they would probably end up closing down the Clarksburg one or somehow majorly downsize it.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 03-18-2019 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 01:53 PM

219 posts, read 247,541 times
45k seems a bit small for Rural King doesn't it? IDK, maybe not but they seem quite large inside.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
45k seems a bit small for Rural King doesn't it? IDK, maybe not but they seem quite large inside.
I could be and am probably wrong about it being truly half for the leasing area (the photo makes it look that way), I thought I saw somewhere the old Kmart was over 100K square feet but it has been a while. But while looking for the size of the old store I came across this about the old Kmart: This store was opened in 1996 as a prototype Super Kmart location. This store was the first location to feature the second Super Kmart logo." Pretty cool little historical tidbit there.

I'd imagine the reason this is moving forward now is because WVU Medicine (who has been renting the parking lot for the old Kmart) will be opening up their new parking lot in the next month or so and I'd imagine they will stop renting this parking lot soon.

Edit: I was wrong about the Kmart size, the 45,000 square feet is definitely not half. The old Kmart was 135,000 square feet. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Super......-a016891252

Also a while back there was a discussion about what the pharmacy was up there, in the article it mentions a Phar-Mor pharmacy.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
I have never seen a Rural King under 86,000 square feet. They must be trying a new size but it seems disappointing for the area. I haven't seen in any other area they took over a old Kmart building that they didn't take the whole space.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I have never seen a Rural King under 86,000 square feet. They must be trying a new size but it seems disappointing for the area. I haven't seen in any other area they took over a old Kmart building that they didn't take the whole space.
Based on the size available in the old store and the amount being leased out, the Rural King will be at least 90,000 square feet plus the outdoor area.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I could be and am probably wrong about it being truly half for the leasing area (the photo makes it look that way), I thought I saw somewhere the old Kmart was over 100K square feet but it has been a while. But while looking for the size of the old store I came across this about the old Kmart: This store was opened in 1996 as a prototype Super Kmart location. This store was the first location to feature the second Super Kmart logo." Pretty cool little historical tidbit there.

I'd imagine the reason this is moving forward now is because WVU Medicine (who has been renting the parking lot for the old Kmart) will be opening up their new parking lot in the next month or so and I'd imagine they will stop renting this parking lot soon.

Edit: I was wrong about the Kmart size, the 45,000 square feet is definitely not half. The old Kmart was 135,000 square feet. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Super......-a016891252

Also a while back there was a discussion about what the pharmacy was up there, in the article it mentions a Phar-Mor pharmacy.
PHARMOR!

Thx, Matt! Ha, I knew I was right.

I recall buying wine jugs from there in late 90s (1890s, feels more like). I'm so old...

Old 03-18-2019, 08:22 PM

219 posts, read 247,541 times
I frequented Phar-Mor many times. Great place for cheap booze. I miss that place.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Interesting news, Westover will be annexing all of West Ridge with West Ridge's blessing (extremely likely this will pass the county commission since it is being done by petition). West Ridge will also be reimbursed up to $12.5 million for the infrastructure that they have paid for so far in the new development. One wonders now that Westover will have the whole mall area, all of West Ridge and the Gateway area, if they will eventually move to have full time paid firefighters.

In the article it also mentions: "In preparation for the annexation, four amendments to the city’s zoning ordinances were adopted. They establish two new zoning types to be used in the annexed area." I believe it will be similar to Gateway where that development pretty much has a certain level of autonomy from the city in regards to planning, signage and other normally bothersome rules (the same rules Morgantown wields as a sword to stop developments). Theses are the things that the Gateway development are exempt from: No B&O Tax for construction. No Permit Fees for Construction (One Day Permitting Process). Westover Signage Criteria does NOT apply to The Gateway Development.

Also, with it looking like the retail ground breaking (around the new exit) will happen sometime this spring/summer, this line was also in the article: "Ryan Lynch said the first retail shops around exit 153 will open in spring 2020, and more businesses will open throughout the year"

https://wajr.com/westover-moves-to-a...ost-400-acres/

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Interesting news, Westover will be annexing all of West Ridge with West Ridge's blessing (extremely likely this will pass the county commission since it is being done by petition). West Ridge will also be reimbursed up to $12.5 million for the infrastructure that they have paid for so far in the new development. One wonders now that Westover will have the whole mall area, all of West Ridge and the Gateway area, if they will eventually move to have full time paid firefighters.

In the article it also mentions: "In preparation for the annexation, four amendments to the city’s zoning ordinances were adopted. They establish two new zoning types to be used in the annexed area." I believe it will be similar to Gateway where that development pretty much has a certain level of autonomy from the city in regards to planning, signage and other normally bothersome rules (the same rules Morgantown wields as a sword to stop developments). Theses are the things that the Gateway development are exempt from: No B&O Tax for construction. No Permit Fees for Construction (One Day Permitting Process). Westover Signage Criteria does NOT apply to The Gateway Development.

Also, with it looking like the retail ground breaking (around the new exit) will happen sometime this spring/summer, this line was also in the article: "Ryan Lynch said the first retail shops around exit 153 will open in spring 2020, and more businesses will open throughout the year"

https://wajr.com/westover-moves-to-a...ost-400-acres/
I hope the developers have the sense to require that Westover agree to repave the roadways periodically. Granville does not to that at UTC, and the infrastructure is seriously suffering as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown