Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times

Advertisements

Also, here's a map of current TIF districts established by the City: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...eTR16DL_-mfMPY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Also, here's a map of current TIF districts established by the City: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...eTR16DL_-mfMPY
Just extend the current waterfront tif down to the beechurst one. lol

Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
A key for the riverfront would be to better connect it to both campus and downtown. Yes, there's a connector from Foundry St. down to the park, but it's pretty basic save for the mural under the bridge. There are plans to make that more inviting here soon, I believe. The rail trails are vital, but there have been problems with crime and a general sense of unease. What needs to happen is physical as well as operational improvements to make the place feel safe. This comes with lighting, artwork, increased general traffic, more events, etc. (which this agreement is geared towards).

My proposal would be for the University, the City, and the County to tackle this from all angles in a comprehensive way. The most important thing would be to look at the waterfront as a contiguous, linear park instead of piecemeal parcels. I know this is ambitious, but the planning area should extend from Campus Drive all the way down to just past the locks. Also included in this area would be Deckers Creek - both sides of it - all the way to Kingwood St, where a new pedestrian bridge is planned to be built. I think including these areas along the Creek under the umbrella of one continuous park is crucial to extending the usefulness of the existing waterfront. Cleaning up these areas, especially between the Mon and Pleasant Street, will draw people down and make it more enticing for recreation, yes, but the potential for retail or what have you (this was addressed in the City's comprehensive plan - talking about an "artist's row" between Foundry and Deckers Creek).

Basically, you have a woefully underutilized park asset sitting between the riverfront, downtown, a dense neighborhood, and MHS. How could you not want to capitalize on that? It isn't perfectly analogous, but think of something like Falls Park on the Reedy in Greenville, SC.

Just googled that, so nice looking and I really like that pedestrian bridge. Would look good if incorporated correctly.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Just googled that, so nice looking and I really like that pedestrian bridge. Would look good if incorporated correctly.
That bridge used to be the site of a vehicular bridge connecting Falls Park Dr. and E. Camperdown Way. The City thought, "Hey, we don't really need this thing that ruins the best natural asset we have, so let's get rid of it, build a pedestrian bridge, and clean up the river." Amazing what happens when you actually follow through with ideas like that.

We went there last year and it was amazing how many people were just out. Not necessarily running or tourists, just people enjoying the rocks, the water, the bridge, and the greenery. It was the perfect mix of community magnetism and relaxation.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 AM

354 posts, read 505,926 times
Wow, look at that, the VFW site sits in a TIF district. Do what it takes, Morgantown.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Development is going to happen with or without Biafora. He knows this. He is simply using delay tactics to hold it up. The school wants more development near the Downtown Campus. It will happen even if they have to buy the land to make it happen. It is only a matter of time. The Riverfront will be developed one way or another too. There is simply too much potential here for it not to happen.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM

124 posts, read 151,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Development is going to happen with or without Biafora. He knows this. He is simply using delay tactics to hold it up. The school wants more development near the Downtown Campus. It will happen even if they have to buy the land to make it happen. It is only a matter of time. The Riverfront will be developed one way or another too. There is simply too much potential here for it not to happen.
You now have the Giuliani brothers teaming up with Biafore telling people more lawsuits are coming against the VFW development and the city. They are calling for a moratorium on new rental housing by claiming Morgantown is overbuilt. I'm guessing they will also try to stop the riverfront development. I agree, WVU wants redevelopment. If the private sector doesn't do it, they will buy the land it do it themselves.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
You now have the Giuliani brothers teaming up with Biafore telling people more lawsuits are coming against the VFW development and the city. They are calling for a moratorium on new rental housing by claiming Morgantown is overbuilt. I'm guessing they will also try to stop the riverfront development. I agree, WVU wants redevelopment. If the private sector doesn't do it, they will buy the land it do it themselves.
See, they wouldn't be wrong with the idea of a glut of (primarily) student rental stock in Morgantown. It really is overbuilt, on the whole. However, that's including Biafora/Giuliani-type slums as well as cheap modulars like you find out on West Run. Bringing students closer to campus and downtown - to the places they need to get to without a car - is vital to building Morgantown into a more livable place. They're just mad that they know their portfolios pale in comparison.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
If that happens, I think you can almost guarantee WVU will buy the lot where the standard was supposed to be built.

I wish we could start getting nice upper scale 5-8 story condo/apartments meant for professionals downtown.

The city at this point needs to start counter suing for damages from these frivolous lawsuits. As a tax payer I'm not happy at all that I'm footing the bill for these bozos hurt feelings.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 10-14-2016 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 AM

202 posts, read 218,531 times
Quote:
See, they wouldn't be wrong with the idea of a glut of (primarily) student rental stock in Morgantown. It really is overbuilt, on the whole. However, that's including Biafora/Giuliani-type slums as well as cheap modulars like you find out on West Run. Bringing students closer to campus and downtown - to the places they need to get to without a car - is vital to building Morgantown into a more livable place. They're just mad that they know their portfolios pale in comparison.
If it were really THAT overbuilt the prices wouldn't be what they are relative to the quality of the housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown