Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:16 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

Central Place's argument was rejected by the State Supreme Court, and redevelopment of the VFW property by CA Student Living can proceed.

The Dominion Post - Court rules against Central Place

Biafora, however, promises to file more lawsuits and claims the building will not be built.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 10-12-2016 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:36 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,298 times
Good ol Red Tape......this thing aint gonna be built anytime soon.....

Old 10-13-2016, 06:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Quote:
But, the Supreme Court found no issue with Gaujot’s ruling that the 157 spots met the requirement for a central business district development, designed to promote compact, pedestrian-oriented area of high density.
Imagine that, a CBD is supposed to be compact, pedestrian-oriented and high density. Who'd've thunk it?

Old 10-13-2016, 06:30 AM

334 posts, read 495,818 times
I really sincerely wish David Biafora had a massive heart attack.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
I wonder if CA Student living is still even interested in doing this, let alone waiting to break ground.

Also what other lawsuit is he going to file, he lost, plain and simple. He's such a donkeys butt.

Now we just need that ruling for the public private partnerships to be favorable and we can get back to building new things downtown, maybe even see the hotel finally start.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
MORGANTOWN -- Bring CA back in and break ground! Give incentives if you have to! This is the most important development in your city!!

How one DB can can end a needed, progressive project with frivolous lawsuits is insane and a miscarriage of justice.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 AM

Hope this gets started and then all the focus can move to the river front, with the city, county and WVU all agreeing they want it completely developed with shops, places to eat, places to live, offices etc... and they want all new development along the whole riverfront through town. Sure hope they do a bang up job because it could make a HUGE difference for downtown. Imagine the riverfront from the Waterfront to the power plant being cleaned up and have all new development all along it.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Hope this gets started and then all the focus can move to the river front, with the city, county and WVU all agreeing they want it completely developed with shops, places to eat, places to live, offices etc... and they want all new development along the whole riverfront through town. Sure hope they do a bang up job because it could make a HUGE difference for downtown. Imagine the riverfront from the Waterfront to the power plant being cleaned up and have all new development all along it.
If I'm going on trail walk/ride, I would rather be surrounded by nature. Taking a reprieve from people/traffic can be therapeutic. Green space is important to places with lots of congestion. Besides, the one place we have a head start in waterfront development at the Warf, has been underwhelming at best. I'm not sure if having a developer come in and throw up a bunch of crap along the water is very smart. I'm sure the county commission will push for a TIF district, their one ace in the hole

Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
If I'm going on trail walk/ride, I would rather be surrounded by nature. Taking a reprieve from people/traffic can be therapeutic. Green space is important to places with lots of congestion. Besides, the one place we have a head start in waterfront development at the Warf, has been underwhelming at best. I'm not sure if having a developer come in and throw up a bunch of crap along the water is very smart. I'm sure the county commission will push for a TIF district, their one ace in the hole

Lol probably will.

From what I understand the warf area started and then the attention on it went away because there was no true co-ordination.

Regarding buildings along it, if it is done right, like new buildings that look historically old, good amount of green space with nice mature landscaping it could look really nice along there. Not to mention incorporate more little park things into the area along the rail trail. Right now the part of the rail trail that runs through downtown itself is just plain disgusting and semi dangerous. It would be nice for the rail trail in the city be around nice historical looking buildings with nice little green areas and the minute you get past the power plant it turn back into nature, that way you have varying scenery.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
A key for the riverfront would be to better connect it to both campus and downtown. Yes, there's a connector from Foundry St. down to the park, but it's pretty basic save for the mural under the bridge. There are plans to make that more inviting here soon, I believe. The rail trails are vital, but there have been problems with crime and a general sense of unease. What needs to happen is physical as well as operational improvements to make the place feel safe. This comes with lighting, artwork, increased general traffic, more events, etc. (which this agreement is geared towards).

My proposal would be for the University, the City, and the County to tackle this from all angles in a comprehensive way. The most important thing would be to look at the waterfront as a contiguous, linear park instead of piecemeal parcels. I know this is ambitious, but the planning area should extend from Campus Drive all the way down to just past the locks. Also included in this area would be Deckers Creek - both sides of it - all the way to Kingwood St, where a new pedestrian bridge is planned to be built. I think including these areas along the Creek under the umbrella of one continuous park is crucial to extending the usefulness of the existing waterfront. Cleaning up these areas, especially between the Mon and Pleasant Street, will draw people down and make it more enticing for recreation, yes, but the potential for retail or what have you (this was addressed in the City's comprehensive plan - talking about an "artist's row" between Foundry and Deckers Creek).

Basically, you have a woefully underutilized park asset sitting between the riverfront, downtown, a dense neighborhood, and MHS. How could you not want to capitalize on that? It isn't perfectly analogous, but think of something like Falls Park on the Reedy in Greenville, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown