U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times

Advertisements

Okay, I realize that it isn't far to a great international airport in Pittsburgh, but an airport in a large city has built in issues that aren't found in our local airports, which offer free parking and easy check ins. NCWV airports offer direct flights to great cities that have direct connections to anywhere in the world.

Fly Direct – Morgantown Magazine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 06:38 AM

235 posts, read 270,213 times
I have said this many times. The CKB direct flights are such a godsend to this area. I have taken that 6am flight to IAD more times than I’d like to admit. The prices are typically competitive and sometimes better than flying out of PIT, no charge for parking, you can show up 30min before your flight and it only takes 30min to get there ( from my house anyway). You get United Miles, the flight crews have always been pleasant because hey....we aren’t unruly like the big hubs..Sure, it doesn’t have the frills of a big airport but if you just want transportation....can’t recommend it enough.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:34 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,744,607 times
Pittsburgh isn't really much of an 'international' airport anymore- especially after US Airways (now American) closed their hub and moved the majority of domestic and international flights to fortress hubs in Charlotte and Philadelphia. People in North Central are much better off taking the United directs from Clarksburg and connecting in Washington-Dulles or Chicago. Less hassle and much better connections.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:20 PM

35 posts, read 21,591 times
I will have to try this some day. I drive to IAD for my international flight which is a pain in the winter thru the high elevations in I-68. One thing to note is that if flying domestic you will have the pay for baggage/carry-on fees if United is not a partner airline for your onward destination from the US. Since I fly with my family members, CKB might not be an option for me.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Pittsburgh isn't really much of an 'international' airport anymore- especially after US Airways (now American) closed their hub and moved the majority of domestic and international flights to fortress hubs in Charlotte and Philadelphia. People in North Central are much better off taking the United directs from Clarksburg and connecting in Washington-Dulles or Chicago. Less hassle and much better connections.
Still, the 'Burgh IAP is a source and direct flights to many large cities, and it is undergoing major renovations at this time. Having both our local airports and Pittsburgh available to us makes for some nice travel options. With 9.66 million boardings and growing, the IAP is impressive. International flights are offered to Paris, London, Montreal, and Cancun.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...&ed=2019-01-30

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-30-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,095,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Still, the 'Burgh IAP is a source and direct flights to many large cities, and it is undergoing major renovations at this time. Having both our local airports and Pittsburgh available to us makes for some nice travel options. With 9.66 million boardings and growing, the IAP is impressive. International flights are offered to Paris, London, Montreal, and Cancun.

The link is paywalled so I can't see the source, but where are they/you getting the 9.66 million figure? For 2017 (the latest data available), PIT had 4.33 million enplanements. While nothing to sneeze at, and it is a convenient airport for sure, that sits at #47 for US airports.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:39 PM

186 posts, read 136,233 times
Quote:

Pittsburgh airport is getting a little better again to be honest. They are adding direct service direct to Frankfurt as well, in addition to London as well and can transit to anywhere there. In recent years they've also added or maintain service to Mexico and Canada as well. I think they will add service to Iceland in the summer too.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 AM

AGREEMENT WITH ALASKA AIRLINES IMPROVES ACCESS TO PACIFIC NORTHWEST

Southern Airlines has inked an agreement with Alaska Airlines that greatly improves access to Alaska and other Northwest destinations from Morgantown.

WV MetroNews New agreement to benefit Morgantown airport - WV MetroNews

Old 12-18-2019, 11:08 PM

35 posts, read 21,591 times
Quote:
AGREEMENT WITH ALASKA AIRLINES IMPROVES ACCESS TO PACIFIC NORTHWEST

Southern Airlines has inked an agreement with Alaska Airlines that greatly improves access to Alaska and other Northwest destinations from Morgantown.
That is good news, I like Alaska Airlines, they are one the best domestic carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown