U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 7,999 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! WE just relocated to the Morgantown area. We are currently in a rental in the Cheat Lake area. We are starting our home search and are wondering which areas to consider. I have 3 children-12, 17, 20. My youngest is a 6th grader. Middle school is my main focus at this point as the others will both be in college next year. My daughter is very into academics. My husband will be working at Niosh. My 6th grader is a competitive swimmer-I think that will be located at Mylan Park. Although I really love the cheat lake area thus far-I feel the driving may be too much for us long term with school , work, and swim. I'm looking for a good family area where people know their neighbors and there is a sense of community. We are flexible on the home prices. I'm mainly interested in the drive time and school-top priority. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Walter 123; 09-28-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 06:54 PM

117 posts, read 118,313 times
The Star City/Suncrest areas would be your best bet. They are kind of right in the middle of everything and are probably the nicest neighborhoods in town.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:40 AM

Yes they look good-although not many houses on the market currently. What about south park and south hills? and south middle school?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:33 PM

567 posts, read 532,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter 123 View Post
Hi everyone! WE just relocated to the Morgantown area. We are currently in a rental in the Cheat Lake area. We are starting our home search and are wondering which areas to consider. I have 3 children-12, 17, 20. My youngest is a 6th grader. Middle school is my main focus at this point as the others will both be in college next year. My daughter is very into academics. My husband will be working at Niosh. My 6th grader is a competitive swimmer-I think that will be located at Mylan Park. Although I really love the cheat lake area thus far-I feel the driving may be too much for us long term with school , work, and swim. I'm looking for a good family area where people know their neighbors and there is a sense of community. We are flexible on the home prices. I'm mainly interested in the drive time and school-top priority. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks in advance!!

Maybe the Suncrest Area (area around Krepps Park between University and Mon Blvd.)
There's a newer development out Van Voorhis (Brettwald Drive area)
Several areas out Tyrone-Avery Road and Tyrone Road
South Hills area

Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 PM

117 posts, read 118,313 times
Quote:
Yes they look good-although not many houses on the market currently. What about south park and south hills? and south middle school?
Those areas aren't bad, just a bit farther away from Niosh, Mylan Park, the main shopping centers and what not. You might have trouble getting around from that area when students are in town and traffic gets backed up. Also, Suncrest Middle School rates higher than South Middle School if academics are a high priority for your child.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:36 AM

186 posts, read 136,233 times
I think Suncrest by a mile based on your criteria.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:10 AM

145 posts, read 142,135 times
Old Suncrest area up by Anderson Ave, Dogwood Ave, Oakview Dr area is nice, with kids, walkable streets (Morgantown abhors well planned sidewalks, but the streets up there are walkable and some have sidewalks) and it's pretty easy (for Morgantown) to get to the areas you mention, though nothing in Morgantown is an easy drive anywhere you'll soon discover.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM

68 posts, read 44,655 times
Quote:
Repeating what everyone is stating - strongly consider Suncrest.

I work in the same general area as you and used to live in South Park. It was not uncommon to to spend an hour in traffic per day. Maybe 4 or 5 miles in one direction.

We have since moved to the Suncrest/Star City area. Gaining that hour back is priceless.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:22 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely zero in on the suncrest area for our home search!! Who would have thought the traffic could be so bad in this size of town!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown