U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 04:41 AM

20,784 posts, read 26,065,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
I wouldn't say it rains a lot overall. It just depends on the time of year. During the spring it can rain quite a bit, but not always. During the summer it usually doesn't rain very much - mostly just the rain that comes from thunderstorms. It's very rare to have days where the rain is light and continuous and I wouldn't describe it anything like the type they get in Portland. It definitely has the clouds, though. When the weather forecast says mostly sunny tomorrow, you can bet it will at least be partly cloudy or partly sunny and possibly even mostly cloudy. It seems the weathermen have difficulties predicting the weather in this area.

The snow usually doesn't stick around very long. The past few winters have been pretty mild with not too many significant snow events.

I'd say you'd want to look in the Cheat Lake area as it has the water you're looking for and you wouldn't be too far from Coopers Rock which has a lot of trails. Also, I don't know how much you mind traffic or not, but it can get bad when students are in town. Not much forethought and planning went into developing the infrastructure around here. Developers just started building townhouses and apartments anywhere and everywhere while the roads pretty much stayed the same without being upgraded for the increased capacity.

Not sure what your budget is if you plan to buy a house, but there aren't a lot of newer, nicer ones in the area unless you're looking at townhouses or willing to pay a fortune. Of course, a fortune to you might be different than a fortune to me, but a decent single family home in a decent location will likely cost you over $250k and significantly more if you live at Cheat Lake.
I second Cheat Lake. We have visited there a few times and enjoyed boating. It's a pretty place.

My nephew went to WVU and never complained about the weather. He's from the East Coast where it's a little sunnier.

Morgantown's Cloud coverage sounds a lot like NE Ohio. I have to admit our visits to Cheat Lake have been in the Summer, and it was sunny.

A good thing about that area is the proximity to nature, and outdoor activities. Morgantown is a nice small city. The University offers entertainment, sports, and educational activities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 06:48 PM

55 posts, read 26,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwaffle View Post
Hey everyone,

I'll be retiring from the military and relocating in the next few years. My wife and I will be in our early 40s and our daughter will be in her early teens. Morgantown sticks out as a very promising place. We want to be surrounded by natural beauty, easy access to trails and water, and good high schools without being surrounded by millions of people. Morgantown seems to meet those requirements. My biggest questions, really, are regarding weather.

I've read that it rains a lot, but what kind of rain is it? Based off the stats I could find for annual rainfall and number of rainy days, it seems like it's a light, constant rain sort of like what they get in Portland, Oregon. Is that normally the case?

I was also wondering about snow and grey skies. In Denver, we'll get some big snow storms, but it all melts away pretty quickly because it's so sunny. With less sunlight, does the snow stick around all winter or does it melt off between snowfalls? My wife grew up in Michigan where the same snow that falls in November stays on the ground until April and was not a fan.

I'll gladly welcome any other info you want to add regarding Morgantown. Thanks for your input.
Hi Zoomwaffle!

We are also a Denver family, considering a move to Morgantown. My husband was in the reserves for 8 years, too, though long ago. We are tired of the politics of Denver (and a rapidly changing CO), but we do love the weather here.

I'd love to compare notes sometime, if you are up for that.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:52 PM

39 posts, read 17,476 times
Being a former WV resident, if moving to Morgantown prepare yourself for every aspect of life in that town revolving around WVU football. It’s legit the main thing there . Wv has no sports teams so it’s all they have. Not bad i guess but a feature I found incredibly annoying at times. It literally is consumed in the entire state. No matter where you live ...except maybe Huntington area since they have Marshall U .

I say all this being a wv resident for 40 years off and on

Old 12-29-2020, 11:10 PM

461 posts, read 139,804 times
The hometown of Don Knotts! What more could you ask for?

Old 12-30-2020, 01:50 AM

46 posts, read 14,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgthompson123 View Post
Being a former WV resident, if moving to Morgantown prepare yourself for every aspect of life in that town revolving around WVU football. It’s legit the main thing there . Wv has no sports teams so it’s all they have. Not bad i guess but a feature I found incredibly annoying at times. It literally is consumed in the entire state. No matter where you live ...except maybe Huntington area since they have Marshall U .

I say all this being a wv resident for 40 years off and on
No one cares about WVU in the north lol. Maybe the parents of current students no one else.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:16 PM

75 posts, read 36,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
No one cares about WVU in the north lol. Maybe the parents of current students no one else.
You must be joking. Not only are they your state's primary educational institution and cultural bedrock, with their affiliated organizations they are far and away it's largest employer. Since they are close to Pittsburgh I'm sure there are a lot of divided loyalties, but those work on the other side of that state line too. From what I am seeing, they have tremendous support in the region.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:36 AM

1,213 posts, read 2,022,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
You must be joking. Not only are they your state's primary educational institution and cultural bedrock, with their affiliated organizations they are far and away it's largest employer. Since they are close to Pittsburgh I'm sure there are a lot of divided loyalties, but those work on the other side of that state line too. From what I am seeing, they have tremendous support in the region.
I'm with you. My dad's side is from northern WV. It's WVU everywhere. Sure, you may see more Pittsburgh stuff than elsewhere (much like how I see a lot of Maryland, VT, JMU gear in the Eastern Panhandle - where I live now) but WVU still rules.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:23 PM

46 posts, read 14,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
No, not really. Like I said, the only people that really care about WVU or Morgantown at all for that matter are parents of current students or alumni. Given the area is part of Pittsburgh it's just Pittsburgh sports here. Hell, you see more Pitt fans here than WVU; actually, it's is probably 60-40 when it comes to WVU-OSU with Pitt leading above everything else. You would have to go south into what people here refer to as "north central" i.e. Wheeling before you see the WVU hype train. I don't know why the rest of the state, especially Morgantown, thinks the north follows them closely as we really don't. Like I said in another topic, the north is entirely different from the rest of the state but considering the controversy surrounding the origins of the charter and state lines it shouldn't really be a surprise why affinity is with PA and not WV.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:55 PM

412 posts, read 394,664 times
I've lived both in Morgantown and Denver. The winters are definitely worse in Denver with much more snow. Morgantown however has more rain nearly and probably double the cloudy days. I think you will like Morgantown. They have a great school system and all the amenities you would need. It's only a hour from Pittsburgh and within 3 hours of all the outdoor activities you could ever want in both West Virginia and Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:03 AM

75 posts, read 36,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
No, not really. Like I said, the only people that really care about WVU or Morgantown at all for that matter are parents of current students or alumni. Given the area is part of Pittsburgh it's just Pittsburgh sports here. Hell, you see more Pitt fans here than WVU; actually, it's is probably 60-40 when it comes to WVU-OSU with Pitt leading above everything else. You would have to go south into what people here refer to as "north central" i.e. Wheeling before you see the WVU hype train. I don't know why the rest of the state, especially Morgantown, thinks the north follows them closely as we really don't. Like I said in another topic, the north is entirely different from the rest of the state but considering the controversy surrounding the origins of the charter and state lines it shouldn't really be a surprise why affinity is with PA and not WV.
Not sure where you are getting your conclusions, but the media, which makes a lot of money on college fan bases, their data does not support your analysis. In fact, in Pittsburgh, Pitt ranks 4th in their own city for fan bases after Penn State, Notre Dame, and WVU. From what I'm reading these days, they are lucky to get 30,000 fans in the seats during non virus years, including their students.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...l-fan-map.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown