U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,787 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'll be retiring from the military and relocating in the next few years. My wife and I will be in our early 40s and our daughter will be in her early teens. Morgantown sticks out as a very promising place. We want to be surrounded by natural beauty, easy access to trails and water, and good high schools without being surrounded by millions of people. Morgantown seems to meet those requirements. My biggest questions, really, are regarding weather.

I've read that it rains a lot, but what kind of rain is it? Based off the stats I could find for annual rainfall and number of rainy days, it seems like it's a light, constant rain sort of like what they get in Portland, Oregon. Is that normally the case?

I was also wondering about snow and grey skies. In Denver, we'll get some big snow storms, but it all melts away pretty quickly because it's so sunny. With less sunlight, does the snow stick around all winter or does it melt off between snowfalls? My wife grew up in Michigan where the same snow that falls in November stays on the ground until April and was not a fan.

I'll gladly welcome any other info you want to add regarding Morgantown. Thanks for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,744,607 times
Morgantown is very good for natural beauty, easy access to trails, water and good high schools- the weather on the other hand is a different story. I can't think of many who would to Morgantown and enjoy the weather- unless you're from maybe Upstate NY or Wisconsin. The snow doesn't really stick around for extended periods of time during the winter (unless you locate in the mountains about 30-40 minutes to the East) but the cloud cover is very persistent. I remember when I was in college there feeling like it was cloudy from November until about April. I am not sure whether it is proximity to the mountains and to a certain extent the Great Lakes, but I notice I can leave DC during large portions of the year and have sunny skies but then once I get to Cumberland Maryland and on into Morgantown there is cloud bank hanging over.

I guess if one could summarize- It won't remind you a lot of Denver's winter weather where you often get a snowstorm one day then sunny and 55 degrees for the next several days nor is it as bad as parts of Michigan with snow on the ground for all of winter. It will be rather grey.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Morgantown is very good for natural beauty, easy access to trails, water and good high schools- the weather on the other hand is a different story. I can't think of many who would to Morgantown and enjoy the weather- unless you're from maybe Upstate NY or Wisconsin. The snow doesn't really stick around for extended periods of time during the winter (unless you locate in the mountains about 30-40 minutes to the East) but the cloud cover is very persistent. I remember when I was in college there feeling like it was cloudy from November until about April. I am not sure whether it is proximity to the mountains and to a certain extent the Great Lakes, but I notice I can leave DC during large portions of the year and have sunny skies but then once I get to Cumberland Maryland and on into Morgantown there is cloud bank hanging over.

I guess if one could summarize- It won't remind you a lot of Denver's winter weather where you often get a snowstorm one day then sunny and 55 degrees for the next several days nor is it as bad as parts of Michigan with snow on the ground for all of winter. It will be rather grey.
Thank you for the reply. I am honestly not looking for someplace with Denver's weather. The winters are pretty mild but summers are too hot for us. I don't handle heat well and much prefer cooler weather and grey skies. For years I thought I'd move to the PNW for that sort of climate, but cost of living is high in the desirable areas out there. I'm fine with rain, grey skies, and cold winters if it means we don't have to deal with 95-degrees in the summer. Plus, I can overlook some weather shortfalls if it means I can go kayaking or trail running without having to drive 60 minutes each way.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:29 PM

That you can do in Morgantown easily- kayaking, trail running, etc within that proximity. Whitewater rafting fairly close-by up in PA, skiing at Wisp (Deep Creek Lake area of MD) is 45 minutes to the east, etc. Summers in Morgantown can get hot but they are rather pleasant overall. The humidity is nowhere near as bad as it is in the DC area or areas farther south in West Virginia and while you will have a few 90 plus degree days here and there, it won't be the norm.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:31 PM

664 posts, read 925,176 times
Do you like endless weeks/months of humidity?

Old 06-24-2020, 05:43 PM

117 posts, read 118,313 times
I wouldn't say it rains a lot overall. It just depends on the time of year. During the spring it can rain quite a bit, but not always. During the summer it usually doesn't rain very much - mostly just the rain that comes from thunderstorms. It's very rare to have days where the rain is light and continuous and I wouldn't describe it anything like the type they get in Portland. It definitely has the clouds, though. When the weather forecast says mostly sunny tomorrow, you can bet it will at least be partly cloudy or partly sunny and possibly even mostly cloudy. It seems the weathermen have difficulties predicting the weather in this area.

The snow usually doesn't stick around very long. The past few winters have been pretty mild with not too many significant snow events.

I'd say you'd want to look in the Cheat Lake area as it has the water you're looking for and you wouldn't be too far from Coopers Rock which has a lot of trails. Also, I don't know how much you mind traffic or not, but it can get bad when students are in town. Not much forethought and planning went into developing the infrastructure around here. Developers just started building townhouses and apartments anywhere and everywhere while the roads pretty much stayed the same without being upgraded for the increased capacity.

Not sure what your budget is if you plan to buy a house, but there aren't a lot of newer, nicer ones in the area unless you're looking at townhouses or willing to pay a fortune. Of course, a fortune to you might be different than a fortune to me, but a decent single family home in a decent location will likely cost you over $250k and significantly more if you live at Cheat Lake.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Do you like endless weeks/months of humidity?
Based off what I could find online, Morgantown’s humidity won’t be a concern. I’ve spent summers in Montgomery, San Antonio, and Dubai and that was miserable.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
That you can do in Morgantown easily- kayaking, trail running, etc within that proximity. Whitewater rafting fairly close-by up in PA, skiing at Wisp (Deep Creek Lake area of MD) is 45 minutes to the east, etc. Summers in Morgantown can get hot but they are rather pleasant overall. The humidity is nowhere near as bad as it is in the DC area or areas farther south in West Virginia and while you will have a few 90 plus degree days here and there, it won't be the norm.

That all sounds great. I don’t mind a little humidity as long as it’s not 95 degrees and high humidity all summer. I’ve been tracking the temps there so far this summer and it looks pretty good.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
I wouldn't say it rains a lot overall. It just depends on the time of year. During the spring it can rain quite a bit, but not always. During the summer it usually doesn't rain very much - mostly just the rain that comes from thunderstorms. It's very rare to have days where the rain is light and continuous and I wouldn't describe it anything like the type they get in Portland. It definitely has the clouds, though. When the weather forecast says mostly sunny tomorrow, you can bet it will at least be partly cloudy or partly sunny and possibly even mostly cloudy. It seems the weathermen have difficulties predicting the weather in this area.

The snow usually doesn't stick around very long. The past few winters have been pretty mild with not too many significant snow events.

I'd say you'd want to look in the Cheat Lake area as it has the water you're looking for and you wouldn't be too far from Coopers Rock which has a lot of trails. Also, I don't know how much you mind traffic or not, but it can get bad when students are in town. Not much forethought and planning went into developing the infrastructure around here. Developers just started building townhouses and apartments anywhere and everywhere while the roads pretty much stayed the same without being upgraded for the increased capacity.

Not sure what your budget is if you plan to buy a house, but there aren't a lot of newer, nicer ones in the area unless you're looking at townhouses or willing to pay a fortune. Of course, a fortune to you might be different than a fortune to me, but a decent single family home in a decent location will likely cost you over $250k and significantly more if you live at Cheat Lake.

The Cheat Lake area definitely appeals to us, being a little further removed from the crowds. I’ve read about the traffic there and I know it can’t be worse than Bay Area and LA traffic, but I also know it’s a pain to navigate poorly planned Cory streets. However, if we like everything else about a place I can deal with some traffic.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwaffle View Post
The Cheat Lake area definitely appeals to us, being a little further removed from the crowds. I’ve read about the traffic there and I know it can’t be worse than Bay Area and LA traffic, but I also know it’s a pain to navigate poorly planned Cory streets. However, if we like everything else about a place I can deal with some traffic.
You'll be fine traffic wise- People in Morgantown complain about the traffic all the time but if you've lived in or experienced traffic in places like LA, the Bay Area, DC, Atlanta, Denver etc you'll often wonder what the big fuss is about. It can get very congested during game days and when students are in town but that is common among almost every university town in America.

Don't worry about the humidity either- again it's all about perspective and Morgantown humidity is not that bad if you've spent time in most places south and east towards the coast of there- especially in some of the places you mentioned like Montgomery Alabama. I personally living in the DC area would kill to have Morgantown's humidity levels in the summer. If you get sick of the Morgantown 'heat' for whatever reason take a nice drive up to the high country of the Deep Creek Lake area of Maryland or Canaan Valley of West Virginia.

I absolutely agree with one of the above posters in that Cheat Lake is an excellent area to look into.

Morgantown has a lot to offer if you're looking for a progressive, growing, small(er) city with ample job opportunities, good restaurants, a well educated populace and close proximity to the great outdoors. The presence of WVU provides one with added sports and cultural opportunities. If you ever get bored and want a more urban atmosphere, Pittsburgh is 70 miles north and DC is 3 hours to the East/ Southeast.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 06-25-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown