U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 02:00 PM

707 posts, read 1,724,305 times

Advertisements

We have a student at WVU and we are considering buying a single family house in Morgantown for him to live in, along with a couple roommates.
We've been looking at what's currently on the market and also what has recently sold on Realtor.com. There's some really cute places in the South Park area, but I've been reading a lot about crime, including the shooting on Pietro that happened the other day and problems with drugs/homelessness.

Does anyone have current experience/insight into this area, and would you recommend it?

We're also looking around Wiles Hill and Suncrest. We are hoping to stay under $200,000 but could stretch up to $250,000 or so. Our must haves would include:
-walking distance (1 mile or less) to either Evansdale or Downtown campus
-off street parking for at least one car
-safe
-central air conditioning OR a low enough price that we can install it without going over our price cap.

Thanks for any advice!
Rate this post positively

Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM

117 posts, read 118,313 times
I'm rarely in the South Park area of town, but it's generally not considered to be a high crime area. Pietro is in the Greenmont section, which is considered to have a high crime rate. You may have already seen it, but if you click on the map view on the Realtor website, there is a legend at the right where you can click on the "Crime" icon and it shades the map in different colors depending on crime statistics. It's generally pretty accurate. I'd recommend the Suncrest/Star City area as I personally think it's the better location of the two, although I don't see any crime related reason that should prevent you from getting the house in South Park. There's not really any place in Morgantown I would say I feel unsafe during the day. At night, in the downtown area where a lot of students congregate and go to bars and get drunk, it will obviously not be as safe, but still a lot safer than a major city. I'd say if you like the South Park area, go for it. Westover would be another option to look into which is within walking distance of campus and considered to be a safe area of town.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
I'm rarely in the South Park area of town, but it's generally not considered to be a high crime area. Pietro is in the Greenmont section, which is considered to have a high crime rate. You may have already seen it, but if you click on the map view on the Realtor website, there is a legend at the right where you can click on the "Crime" icon and it shades the map in different colors depending on crime statistics. It's generally pretty accurate. I'd recommend the Suncrest/Star City area as I personally think it's the better location of the two, although I don't see any crime related reason that should prevent you from getting the house in South Park. There's not really any place in Morgantown I would say I feel unsafe during the day. At night, in the downtown area where a lot of students congregate and go to bars and get drunk, it will obviously not be as safe, but still a lot safer than a major city. I'd say if you like the South Park area, go for it. Westover would be another option to look into which is within walking distance of campus and considered to be a safe area of town.
Thanks! I think I didn't realize there was a Greenmont section, and thought that part of town was South Park (I think a news article I read also described that intersection as South Park.) Now that I look closer, the cute houses I am seeing are actually in Greenmont, and the homes in South Park seem to be priced higher than our budget (I think the lowest I see right now is $269,000.)
Am I correct that Kingwood St. is the dividing line between Greenmont/Southpark?

Old 09-27-2020, 01:03 PM

117 posts, read 118,313 times
Yes, Kingwood St. is the dividing line and it looks like Pietro St. actually is considered part of South Park, so I apologize about that. I was thinking Greenmont was east of the border that would be formed by S. Walnut, Brockway, and Kingwood St. Nonetheless, if you are wanting to be extra cautious, I would still try avoiding that area and try to get closer to the center of the South Park area near Morgantown High School and closer to Hopecrest. South Park is considered a more upscale part of town, so prices will be higher there. Also, just to give you an idea of the real estate market here, any houses that are in decent shape and priced around $250k or lower tend to sell extremely quickly. So, anything you see and like, you should jump on ASAP.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Yes, Kingwood St. is the dividing line and it looks like Pietro St. actually is considered part of South Park, so I apologize about that. I was thinking Greenmont was east of the border that would be formed by S. Walnut, Brockway, and Kingwood St. Nonetheless, if you are wanting to be extra cautious, I would still try avoiding that area and try to get closer to the center of the South Park area near Morgantown High School and closer to Hopecrest. South Park is considered a more upscale part of town, so prices will be higher there. Also, just to give you an idea of the real estate market here, any houses that are in decent shape and priced around $250k or lower tend to sell extremely quickly. So, anything you see and like, you should jump on ASAP.
Thank you! This is very helpful!

I'm not sure I want to get too "upscale"--since it will be my college student living there!
There is a house on Kingwood currently for sale that, from the photos, is obviously occupied by college students (which from my perspective is a good thing--since that's what I'm buying for.)
There are also a couple houses on Alma St that looked like what we were looking for.

Last edited by HereinVA; 09-27-2020 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown