Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
To answer the question about weather in Morgantown, it is VERY mild. The surrounding area (Prestion County) I cannot speak for, but downtown Morgantown I have never seen snow that has stuck on the ground for more than 24 hours. I moved here in February 2007, providing only 1 and 1/2 winters of background data. Compared to my former home (Buffalo, NY), winters are as mild as you could possibly dream. I still feel as though I live in the deep south due to the beautifully warm winters and the painfully humid/hot summers. The only difficulty rests in the fact that there is practically no winter maintenance to the roads in WV. It can take several days for a snow storm to be properly cared for here, whereas, anywhere in PA or NY would have salted and/or cindered the road almost immediately. (I blame WV for being less financially able.)
Funny how our history determines our perspective. My guess is that 95% or more of the US has mild winters compared to Buffalo.
Compared to Charleston (WV), Morgantown has a lot rougher winters and is not nearly as hot or humid in the summer.

Adam, Come on down to Chas and live - you will think you are in the tropics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 AM

120 posts, read 401,707 times
I would agree with both Vec and ADam...It's all about perspective!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 AM

47 posts, read 161,989 times
I agree with the previous posters about the school situation. Both UHS and MHS will be excellent acedemicly. As a MHS Alumni, I feel that MHS is the better of the two. It really doen't matter due to where you choose to live will put you at either high school. Snow is a sticky situation. I think the area is rather mild as far as other areas of the state go, but I don't think they deal with it as well. Also, Mon county is so vast in demographics that one area of the town may get little while other parts will get lots.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
To answer the question about weather in Morgantown, it is VERY mild. The surrounding area (Prestion County) I cannot speak for, but downtown Morgantown I have never seen snow that has stuck on the ground for more than 24 hours. I moved here in February 2007, providing only 1 and 1/2 winters of background data. Compared to my former home (Buffalo, NY), winters are as mild as you could possibly dream. I still feel as though I live in the deep south due to the beautifully warm winters and the painfully humid/hot summers. The only difficulty rests in the fact that there is practically no winter maintenance to the roads in WV. It can take several days for a snow storm to be properly cared for here, whereas, anywhere in PA or NY would have salted and/or cindered the road almost immediately. (I blame WV for being less financially able.)
Actually West Virginia is more financially able these days. NY is $12 billion in debt and rising. The problem in WV is not money... it is incompetence in the Governor's office.

There is a big difference snow wise in the Morgantown area between the low lying areas near the Mon and the mountains (Coopers Rock and East). There is often lots of snow in the mountains when there is none at all in town. The Buffalo fellow is certainly correct that snow in his area is unbelievably heavy. There is no comparison. Any place north of Albany is in the "snow belt".

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Funny how our history determines our perspective. My guess is that 95% or more of the US has mild winters compared to Buffalo.
Compared to Charleston (WV), Morgantown has a lot rougher winters and is not nearly as hot or humid in the summer.

Adam, Come on down to Chas and live - you will think you are in the tropics.
Excuse me while I chuckle over that one. There is, on average, a four to five degree difference between the Morgantown area and Charleston. That does make Morgantown more pleasant in the Summer and somewhat less comfortable in Winter. Now, the mountains outside of Morgantown is an entirely different matter. They aren't like Buffalo with 15 feet snow drifts, but it is definitely Winter up there 3 months per year. Bring a good parka if you like the outdoors.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Excuse me while I chuckle over that one. There is, on average, a four to five degree difference between the Morgantown area and Charleston. That does make Morgantown more pleasant in the Summer and somewhat less comfortable in Winter. Now, the mountains outside of Morgantown is an entirely different matter. They aren't like Buffalo with 15 feet snow drifts, but it is definitely Winter up there 3 months per year. Bring a good parka if you like the outdoors.
CT, Wasn't sure why you were chuckling. I was being rather tongue-in-cheek but..... there may only be a 4-5 degree difference (I'll take your word for that - I don't know). We go between MoTown and Chas a lot and we have a son who lives in MoTown.

However... the humidity is a lot higher in Chas so though the recorded temp may not be very different it feels a lot hotter in Chas.

As to snow, I talk to my son a lot - he'll tell me about current snow conditions there and it is different than what I will be experiencing.
Also, the stats say:
Number of days with daily snowfall amount of 0" (no snow)
Winter Mean: MoTown 53.7 days w/o Chas 71.7 days w/o
Total snowfall Amount
Winter Mean: MoTown 18.6 Chas 14.3
(MoTown # are for the aiport, MoTown 1 = 18.9; Chas airport is 13.9)

Huge difference in temps/snowfall - no. Certainly no type of difference like Buffalo and MoTown. But, having lived in Northern Ohio and North Central WV, living in Chas is like living in the tropics to me compared to those areas and MoTown. Also, can't say this for sure about MoTown but do know the snow melts off quicker here in Chas than in the area of NCentral WV where we lived. In Chas - is it the elevation, pollution, etc that makes it feel warmer? Don't know and don't care, just know I like the hotter summers and milder winters.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
CT, Wasn't sure why you were chuckling. I was being rather tongue-in-cheek but..... there may only be a 4-5 degree difference (I'll take your word for that - I don't know). We go between MoTown and Chas a lot and we have a son who lives in MoTown.

However... the humidity is a lot higher in Chas so though the recorded temp may not be very different it feels a lot hotter in Chas.

As to snow, I talk to my son a lot - he'll tell me about current snow conditions there and it is different than what I will be experiencing.
Also, the stats say:
Number of days with daily snowfall amount of 0" (no snow)
Winter Mean: MoTown 53.7 days w/o Chas 71.7 days w/o
Total snowfall Amount
Winter Mean: MoTown 18.6 Chas 14.3
(MoTown # are for the aiport, MoTown 1 = 18.9; Chas airport is 13.9)

Huge difference in temps/snowfall - no. Certainly no type of difference like Buffalo and MoTown. But, having lived in Northern Ohio and North Central WV, living in Chas is like living in the tropics to me compared to those areas and MoTown. Also, can't say this for sure about MoTown but do know the snow melts off quicker here in Chas than in the area of NCentral WV where we lived. In Chas - is it the elevation, pollution, etc that makes it feel warmer? Don't know and don't care, just know I like the hotter summers and milder winters.
I don't doubt that there is a five inch difference annually in snowfall. I also believe it when you say there are 20 more days where some snow falls in Morgantown ( it has to be mostly flurries to only add up to 5 inches), and a 5 degree difference would cause snow to melt more quickly, no doubt. But, my ex-wife was from Cedar Grove (around 25 miles East of Charleston) and I spent a lot of time there. It sure didn't seem like the tropics in Winter to me (that was my chuckle). Move it a couple hundred miles further South to Charlotte and you will find a noticable difference.

I definitely agree with you about Charleston's humidity. That is one miserable place to be in Summer. Morgantown is pretty comfortable.

I don't think Cleveland gets as much lake effect snow as Buffalo and East. Buffalo can burp 1 foot of snow for lunch and you wouldn't even know it had fallen. I'm a retired civil servant (WV and NY) and have spend a lot of time all over both states.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Preston is much higher in elevation and thus not nearly as mild in Winter. The mountains located near Morgantown are mostly in Preston County, and there is snow there all Winter long.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM

34 posts, read 124,926 times
Hi, I grew up here in Morgantown. I have children that have went to both of the High Schools, so here goes. Speaking from experience. (My ex-husband works at UHS) MHS and UHS are basically the same when it comes to academics. When it comes to diversity MHS has more when it comes to ethnic groups. There are alot of fights at MHS due the fact that they have Whites, Blacks, Good Ole Country Boys, Rednecks, thus more fights. Both schools have drugs from the small things to the large things, but in my opinion UHS has more of the large scale drugs. Remember I am speaking as someone that has had children in both schools. I still have 2 sons in high school. After discussions with my ex-husband we decided it was best for tour sons was to go to MHS.
Yes UHS just built a new school the students will be moving into the school after Thanksgiving Break. St Francis no longer is a High School. They have to go to either MHS, UHS or Trinity. Trinity is a private school.
If you plan to move to Morgantown and once you have made your decision as to which school you would like your children to go make sure that you check out the area where you want to move to according to schools because it is very hard to get your children transferred from one school to the other because you have to live inside that schools zoning district for them to go there.
We have Krogers, Giant Eagle, Aldi, Shop N Save, and Save A Lot, Wal-Mart, Super K-Mart, Foodland stores. We do have a couple of Co-Op stores also.
As for the weather. It is fairly mild. We do have snow storms sometimes that they will cancel school for. We do have Ice storms sometimes also that cancels school. But usually the county that Morgantown is in usually goes to school when every county around us is closed due to weather. Both MHS and Uhs have alot of richer families in them. alot of the kids parents work at the University or at Ruby Memorial Hospital are Lawyers.
It just depends on what you are looking for (athletics, curriculum, etc.) on which one you choose. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM

59 posts, read 101,313 times
Default Okay... that explains it

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The new 27 million dollar St. Francis Catholic School is alive and well...ultra modern in every way...sits opposite the new Walmart on East University Ave...along the I-79 highway...

a modern design looking like white farm buildings...

incredible idea to preserve the past with those new structures...
To be honest I always that that was some sort of cult like compound.. too white, too pure. Always expected someone to be handing out Kool-aid in little white Dixie cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown