Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times

Advertisements

The WVU campus is really spread out. I mean part is downtown, part is in Evansdale, etc.
Parking at WVU:
If you are one of the lucky ones, you may actually get a parking permit near your building. But I wouldn't rely on that. My boys usually got a parking permit which at least got them close enough.
Transportation and Parking | Home | West Virginia University

However, all is not lost. WVU has the PRT which runs between the campuses.
West Virginia University -
West Virginia University - PRT (http://admissions.wvu.edu/undergraduate/discover/prt.asp - broken link)

Also, many students park at the Coliseum and catch buses to the PRT, etc.
Transportation and Parking | Transportation Services | West Virginia University

Both my boys lived off campus and parking, etc. was never really a complaint of theirs.

Mostly because of WVU and the hospital, MoTown is considered recession proof. With the current economy there are no sure bets anywhere but I'd consider MoTown a pretty safe bet.

Can't answer you out-of-state question - look around WVU website. http://www.wvu.edu/
Can say there are tons of students at WVU from New Jersey - it's less expensive for them to go to WVU then the in-state tuition in their own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 AM

120 posts, read 401,846 times
As usual, Vec brings up a good point that I had forgotten about…The PRT (Personal Rapid Transit). Obviously the PRT doesn’t have track in Preston County, but you could easily drive to the Coliseum (where the WVU basketball team plays – with a lot more parking than Rupp Arena) and ride the PRT from there. From what I recall, the women’s studies program is on the downtown campus, and I know that the nursing classes are on the Evansdale campus (at the old hospital). The downtown campus can be a nightmare (commute, parking, crowds, etc.), but when you get to the hospital it will be much nicer, as student parking is offered to nursing / medical students. For your reference, the WMS and SON websites are listed below:
http://wmst.wvu.edu/
http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/son/
You bring up a good question concerning tuition and residency. There are a lot of requirements (hurdles that you have to jump through), but with children enrolled in the WV school system, it appears that you would have to wait 12-months. There may be a loophole in which it could be a shorter amount of time, but this site will prove useful:
http://www.collegeboard.com/about/as...df/sr_WV01.pdf
Also, please note the contact information at the end of the page, as that is local WVU representative who you should contact for specifics not addressed on the site. Lastly, the Morgantown economy is good, but I wouldn’t say “recession proof.” I am not intimately familiar with the construction business, but I see new projects being built daily. Do keep in mind that the weather isn’t real conducive for construction during the harsh winter months. I don’t know if he is hiring, but Ronnie Lytle (Lytle Construction Corp.) is a quality builder with an outstanding reputation. Again, I don’t know if he is actively seeking applications, but Ronnie epitomizes what West Virginians are all about and I trust him personally. Once again, good luck!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Here's the problem that construction is going to be running into. From today's DA: The Daily Athenaeum: Next stages of Augusta project at standstill (http://www.da.wvu.edu/show_article.php?story_id=40702&archive_date=2008-11-21 - broken link) Hopefully they can find the money and finish this.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,719 times
I would have to say MHS is the better public school in Morgantown it has about 1600 kids and it is alot more racially diverse than UHS and the academics there are much better. The uhs student body is made up of about 1300 kids and i guess u could say most of the kids there aren't as "clean" I would know i go there! however everyone at the uhs right now, is transfering to a brand NEW high school on the other side of town (kinda away from things) after thanksgiving break(which we are on tight now)!!!! It is a tremendous facility with two HUGEEEEEE gyms named the gold gym and the red gym, the red one is even bigger than the gold one! It has not only one, but 2 football fields (one practice field). Now UHS won't have to play there games on MHS' field anymore for home games. yes! and there is a baseball field, the whole school campus is truely remarkable. I can't wait to see what it is like from the inside! hopefully this helped u with your high school information.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:20 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
The Square will get the necessary funding. There is sufficient stability in Morgantown to make it attractive for financiers to support. The area's primary industries... pharmaceuticals and a national land grant university, and thriving and growing in spite of national economic conditions, and promise to do even better when conditions improve.

Also, for transportation, WVU students can utilize the region's comprehensive bus system for free. It interconnects with The University's own bus system and the PRT. Public transportation in Monongalia County has the highest ridership in the State, with well over 1 million passenger boardings yearly.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Public transportation in Monongalia County has the highest ridership in the State, with well over 1 million passenger boardings yearly.
Boardings were PROJECTED to be over 1 million this year. But they are also expected to be over 1 million for KRT (Charleston) and TTA(Huntington). We'll see when the final numbers come out, but I'd imagine that they are still in 3rd place as they have been. Free WVU students also account for more 2/3 of the ridership. I'd imagine KRT and TTA would see much higher ridership with multiple free shuttles too. Glad to see they are doing well though.

http://www.busride.org/ (check the news section)

Last edited by tbailey1138; 11-26-2008 at 05:44 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM

59 posts, read 101,367 times
Construction in Morgantown is still a growing buisness, so to say. Look at the newest ideas from Mr. Biafore.

Sonic, Hooters may hit town: Developer in talks with both companies

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 AM

6 posts, read 11,756 times
Default University High

Part of your question was about sports programs and I think overall University High is one of the strongest in the state in every sport. If I had a kid that was going to be a top baller and was moving to the area I think I would try to aim for University High.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
They do? I always thought Morgantown High seemed to frequently out do them since I've been in town. Though neither can really hold a candle to the Parkersburg schools...they are juggernauts at sports in this state...

Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtreize View Post
Construction in Morgantown is still a growing buisness, so to say. Look at the newest ideas from Mr. Biafore.

Sonic, Hooters may hit town: Developer in talks with both companies
OMG! I just read that article.That sounds incredible! I mean I have seriously looked in a couple different areas of Fl, as well as Vt,Wy, MI,NY,CT,MT and ND, and probably a few other areas in passing.It sounds like m'town has got almost the only building ( other then the areas hit by hurricanes) still going on.Are things really as good as they sound? Not to sound pessimestic, but it just sounds too good to be true.lol And I wonder why not everyone is moving there. But don't worry...I'm NOT telling ANYONE!!

Hubby and I just talked and he's going to start applying now and hopefully will move up there at the start of the new year.He was laid off here the end of Sept, and has put in well over TWO HUNDRED apps, and not all of them locally.I was really beginning to panic a little...ok, ALOT! This article has given me some hope again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown