U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 65,558 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about going to WVU, would you consider this a good choice, are there many people there around the ages of 19-25
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,367,315 times
Good Post Topic, I<3NYC....I would call it a large medical community with a huge transient college population...
No one really takes the WVU kids too seriously (the exception being the money they spend)...put up with them for the term duration and wait for the warm weather and deserted summer streets...

to answer your question: About 18,000 of them are in that age group...and it's a diverse population with a majority from Pa.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,873,322 times
Fall 2007 enrollment was 28,113, with students from all 55 WV counties, 49 states, the District of Columbia, 2 Territories (Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) and 99 Nations.
  • 57% residents, 43% nonresidents
  • 21,145 undergraduates
  • 6,968 graduate and professional students
  • 51% male, 49% female
  • 7% minorities
  • Students Residing in University Housing: Approximately 5,500
  • About WVU | WVU Facts | West Virginia University (http://about.wvu.edu/facts - broken link)
Morgantown, W.Va., population 28,292, recently rated [not sure who they consider in counting the pop - evidently not the students]
“No. 1 Small City in America” by BizJournals.com for its exceptional quality of life. Within easy traveling distance of Washington, D.C., to the east, Pittsburgh, Pa., to the north, and Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, to the northwest.
Other recent rankings:
One of “Best Sports Cities” by Sporting News ;
5th “Best Small Metro” by Forbes;
12th overall “Hottest Small City by Inc.; and
one of “50 Smartest Places to Live by Kiplinger’s.

May want to look at: News and Information Services - WVU Today

FYI: We often get questions about housing/etc.:
Off-Campus Housing Fair, January 14, 2009, 10 AM to 3 PM, Mountainlair Ballrooms

Last edited by vec101; 12-03-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 AM

120 posts, read 353,297 times
It looks like Vec said it all and backed it up with data (like always). To answer your question on a more personal level: yes, I think that WVU is an excellent school that has a lot to offer. Of course it's all relative based on what other schools you're considering. Also, are you from New York City? WVU, and Morgantown specifically, are GREAT...but I hope that you aren't expecting the likes of NYC. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM

27 posts, read 65,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
It looks like Vec said it all and backed it up with data (like always). To answer your question on a more personal level: yes, I think that WVU is an excellent school that has a lot to offer. Of course it's all relative based on what other schools you're considering. Also, are you from New York City? WVU, and Morgantown specifically, are GREAT...but I hope that you aren't expecting the likes of NYC. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, and no I'm not from NYC, although i do plan to move there after college!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM

59 posts, read 91,395 times
Short answer... Yes. Morgantown is and always will be "the university city" it doesn't have a choice in the matter... thank God. Much different than say FAirmont, has a college of about 7000 just south of morgantown. That town is so dead, it's just pathetic... well that and it has alot to do with them also having the oldest population in the area (I love my grandmother, but old folks just get in the way of progress... "Well I remember when there was a store on every corner, and we could buy a newspaper for a dime" well get over it, remembering the good old days is why WV is still 50th in everything.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,873,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtreize View Post
remembering the good old days is why WV is still 50th in everything.
Please support claim with links to proof.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,705,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtreize View Post
Short answer... Yes. Morgantown is and always will be "the university city" it doesn't have a choice in the matter... thank God. Much different than say FAirmont, has a college of about 7000 just south of morgantown. That town is so dead, it's just pathetic... well that and it has alot to do with them also having the oldest population in the area (I love my grandmother, but old folks just get in the way of progress... "Well I remember when there was a store on every corner, and we could buy a newspaper for a dime" well get over it, remembering the good old days is why WV is still 50th in everything.

I'm insulted - to say that "old folks just get in the way of progess" is not going to get you very far in life.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,367,315 times
Corgis:

Sorry, but He is right on the money...look at our government...old fogies in "Attends...wino's...boozers and everybody has had a face or boob lift or tummy tuck...and that's just the men..

Every time they re-run for office a photo of 30 years ago is shown...or it's an airbrush job to take out the face cracks to the extent that only white paper is seen on the poster...they have gotten in the way of progress to the extent that it has completely stopped...

That observation was a 'bullseye....

Old 12-06-2008, 11:41 PM

59 posts, read 91,395 times
Sorry, but you should feel insulted. It is an insult. The longer the older generations continue to harbor what little remains of their childhoods, the longer this state will remain depressed. Yes, we are coming out of it. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. But bigotry, small mindedness, pettiness, and fear of outsiders is so prevalent in our state that nothing can be done. Fear of working together with anyone outside of your own little community is killing our state (among many other things).

These fears are all founded... West Virginia has been taken advantage of too many times. But we are different now. We are in a connected, Globally and nationally, country. We are a new generation, a new economy, a new way of thinking. 9-11 turned a generation once called "Generation Me" into the "Generation Us". The new that generation, my generation has the highest rate of volunteerism, activism, and idea of civic duty than any generation since Kennedy's days. But to see us go out into the community and be rejected by "old folk" (and I'm not talking ancient late 40's, 50's 60's) telling us that we should mind our own business... or sneering at us while we pick up litter, or heckle while we build a house for Habitat for Humanity. (this is over generalization but I've far more negative slurs and comments than positive, but we keep on truckin')

YES, this happens! And most of the people are the good ol' boys and girls that go to church once a week, give there Dollar in the offering tray and run anyone that isn't one of "them" out of the church. Perhaps it's a combination of an intense puritan ethic and the fact that we as West Virginian's have been abused by the outside world, but this is unacceptable. However, there is nothing that can be done. The older generations see things through the glasses of their parents generation, a generation of intolerance and nonacceptance. This is not the way of the future. This is no the way of the people. This is a way of death. Death by self inflicted wounds that we are inflicting upon ourselves everyday by not changing... by not understanding that if we don't change we will die.

Once again, this is a generalization of my 26 years of life, and my recent volunteer outings. This is not how you treat people trying to change the world. Meeting someone with pessimism and down right hostility because you are too proud to accept help or see anyone else accept help from "outsiders" is insanely puerile! If we don't change ourselves, the "outsiders" sure aren't going to stop calling us "hillbilly" and "hick"... among other things. And just because I want to better myself and others lives... because I believe in education doesn't make me a bad person... I've actually heard and read both editorial and sermons on this very subject. The bad thing isn't that these thing were said, it's that they were agreed upon. Ignorance is.. and never has been blissful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown