Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times

Advertisements

Fuzzy, you're the one who'll make the decision whether to "party" or not. WVU has excellent reputations in the health-related fields, engineering, and forestry.

My #2 son is about to graduate from Penn State in Aero Engineering. I didn't let the party school rep there affect the decision.

At my freshman orientation (Cal Coolidge was president, as I recall ), they said look at the students to your left and right, only 1 of the 3 of you will graduate in 4 years with the degree they're currently pursuing, 1 in 3 will eventually graduate (but in a different field), and 1 in 3 will not get a degree from that university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 AM

120 posts, read 401,846 times
I am in a hiring position in with my company and when reviewing prospective candidates for an entry level position, their Alma Mater are definitely considered (along with their personal interview, references, etc.). When considering where an individual attended school, we look more at that school’s reputation in a specific field. Let’s face it, the quality of “general education” at most of the nationally recognized institutions is comparable (and so is the amount of partying). Schools set themselves apart and acquire reputations based on specific disciplines. With that in mind, I know that OT graduates from West Virginia University are highly regarded within the field. Simply because WVU is a “party school” doesn’t mean that all OT graduates are partiers. Lastly, I’d also strongly consider where you eventually desire to live. Ames and Morgantown are located in very different parts of the country. ISU and WVU are both “regional / national” universities. It’s rare for me to receive a resume from “middle-America,” but resumes from the surrounding states are very common. If you see yourself eventually settling down on the east coast, consider a regional school in proximity to the east coast (i.e. WVU). Conversely, if you desire to eventually live somewhere in the mid-west, I’d select a school like Iowa State. Good luck on your decision…

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Although I'm retired, I was essentially a lifelong student. As a government employee, I was always taking classes somewhere. During my career, I attended 22 different colleges and universities... WVU, Ohio State, Marshall, Indiana U., Univ. of the State of NY @ Albany, Wisconsin, Marist, and several others. I didn't notice a difference in quality of instruction from one to another. Remember, college professors literally come from all over and they themselves have varied educational backgrounds. The program of study is more important in determining difficulty than the school.

Someone can take Sociology or Educational Administration at any school and if of average intelligence they won't be taxed to any significant degree. They can take psychology or any of the medical fields, sciences, or engineering and have to work their butts off to get through no matter the school.

If you live in the Midwest and want a somewhat different experience in life, West Virginia is an excellent choice for you. I'm not saying that because the OT school is any better or worse than any other. I'm saying that because Morgantown and WVU is a great place to go to school. I'm sure you can get a great education at Iowa State too.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
my daughter has been accepted at wvu for the fall. after reading the posts here, i feel that she would like the school. i think it is true that you will get an education if you are mature enough to avoid the pitfalls. as a nurse in a pediatric practice here in n.y,. i've seen so many go off to college only to flounder because they were not discipllined enough. some of them were very bright students.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
t. borchman, ... If your daughter is like most of our NYC area students and alums, she will absolutely love Morgantown. It has most of the amenities of the larger cities without the hassles or inherent dangers. It is close to wonderful outdoor opportunities that students are encouraged to experience, and is located in a nice college town setting. It has a student centered culture that is complimented by a generally college friendly environment in the local government, and as you know, for a New Yorker, it is a well recognized institution in the metro region. Odds are your daughter will be very happy with her choice, and there is a large and highly organized alumni group in the NYC/NJ/CT area.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Snorpus...We did that too...but we shook hands...on the bleachers at the football stadium...points for that memory...our Registrars must have been Frat Bro's...

points later..promise

Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t borchman View Post
my daughter has been accepted at wvu for the fall. after reading the posts here, i feel that she would like the school. i think it is true that you will get an education if you are mature enough to avoid the pitfalls. as a nurse in a pediatric practice here in n.y,. i've seen so many go off to college only to flounder because they were not discipllined enough. some of them were very bright students.
Welcome to WVU. Hope your daughter loves it and MoTown. Be sure she (and the rest of your family) gets out to enjoy some of the wonderful nature things we have to do in the state (such as Canaan Valley).

You will have to come in for a home football game - on game day MoTown becomes the largest city in WV. It never ceases to amaze me - you can go to any town or "holler" in WV and you will find support for the football team. I am not exaggering when I say that a great many people check the home game schedule before setting a date for functions, even weddings.

BTW, if you do plan on coming in on a game day weekend - book your hotel room months in advance.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM

37 posts, read 104,056 times
I have a daughter with a chemistry degree from WVU that never got into the social scene and kept her head on her shoulders, Daughter # 2 is graduating this Spring with a degree in Criminolgy and minoring in Spanish. She too has made it through without losing herself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: